• Sep 12th, 2010 6:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
347 posts
46 upvotes

HBC TV purchasing discussion/help.

So I decided to unload my airmiles on HBC gift cards and ended up with $500 worth.

Was just wondering if anyone has any decent suggestions on purchasing a tv using these cards?

I checked out a couple Zellers stores in Edmonton. Northgate had a dismal selection, whereas Kingsway seemed slightly more organized and wasn't boxing up the good brands and displaying the Dayteks.

The Bay in kingsway had some solid selection, but (maybe it's just me) all their stuff seemed very overpriced.

So does anyone have any advice on the best way to use my HBC credit to get a new tv? Right now it's looking like one of the panasonic plasmas at zellers may be my best bet. But any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1843 posts
473 upvotes
Hometown
Find a good deal somewhere else for a TV you like and get a price match if you feel the Bay is over priced? If the Bay doesn't price match I know Zellers will for sure.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
347 posts
46 upvotes
I'd definetly love to do that, it's just that Zellers has a pretty slim selection. and I swear, I tried looking up the model numbers the guy at zellers gave me for the 2 plasmas they had, and they don't match anything on CNET. Might have to go check out West Ed's zellers and see the selection.

If not, hopefully I can find a trader for these gift cards.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8177 posts
1118 upvotes
punishment wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 12:10 am
I'd definetly love to do that, it's just that Zellers has a pretty slim selection. and I swear, I tried looking up the model numbers the guy at zellers gave me for the 2 plasmas they had, and they don't match anything on CNET. Might have to go check out West Ed's zellers and see the selection.

If not, hopefully I can find a trader for these gift cards.

Don't expect to find the latest technology there. Maybe a couple years old, obsolete or on clearance.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't Zellers also sell 3rd party gift cards? You might want to see what the selection is.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Yah, in line with the general sentiment I would really FORGET about buying a TV at Zellers. Their electronics department is custom-made for complete idiots, because they expect you to buy most products straight out of sealed boxes without even bothering to provide working display models. They're certainly not geared to selling the latest and greatest stuff at market-beating prices.

And the Bay? Yes, expensive. And stale. Go into their ever-so-dead electronics depts and you usually have to rouse the salesperson on duty out of a sort-of-comatose state.

I dunno, like one other poster suggested I'd think about doing something else with those gift cards if you're looking to maximize the value you get from them. Maybe spend them on a bunch of Zellers' fine, stylish clothing ;)
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
347 posts
46 upvotes
hahaha, Truly brand clothing.

I would LOVE if I could buy gift cards with other gift cards but most stores have a pretty strict policy against that. I'll double check, but it's usually in the fine print. If not, I know what I'm doing.

And for the most part I agree that Zellers has a terrible electronics set up, but the west ed one wasn't half bad today. Saw a few TV's that I'm considering now. Just gonna CNET them and compare a few.

Just incase anyone wants to share their opinion on the TV's I liked, here they are.

42" LG LCD 42LD450 for 779.99

42" Panasonic Plasma TCP42c2 699.99 (649.99 at LD for price match)

42" Panasonic LCD TCL42U22 899.99

50" Panasonic Plasma TCP50C2 899.99

I have a few other TV's I like written down that I found at Best buy and LD and the like, but haven't found them at Zellers or the Bay yet.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
347 posts
46 upvotes
well, the giftcard and the website say nothing about purchasing other giftcards. Basically says the only thing you can't use it for is paying off you hbc credit card balance.

Maybe I'll take a peek today.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)