Tags:
None
Jul 20, 2003
777 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
CoW_CoUnTrY wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 1:08 pm
I know these should be able to handle most snow conditions in the GTA area...
But how good are they for tackling the wet and icy heavy stuff the snow plows leave behind at the end of your driveway?
Those snow banks are usually a foot or higher and VERY heavy.
This type of snowblower won't be able to handle EOD. I got myself a full blown gas snow thrower, I believe it's a 13hp and it does the job. If you live in a area, where trucks tend to dump a lot of snow at the EOD, then get a real snow thrower with heavy HP or you'll shoot your foot.
Mar 17, 2005
913 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
wang61 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 11:48 am
I'm curious, why do people like these small snow blowers at that price considering they are much smaller than the large snow blowers that you see on sale occasionally for the same price? Is there some reason that these would be better than the larger type snow blower? I'm thinking about getting a snow blower shortly and can't figure out why I would want a smaller unit for the same price as a larger unit.
For me its speed. I can literly run with the toro and finish my driveway in 10 mins versus my neighbour with a two stager who needs 20 mins. Snow over 10cm is another story though, takes me longer since I have to carve the snow and push hard, that's rare anyway.
Jul 20, 2003
777 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
daftfunk wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 3:54 pm
For me its speed. I can literly run with the toro and finish my driveway in 10 mins versus my neighbour with a two stager who needs 20 mins. Snow over 10cm is another story though, takes me longer since I have to carve the snow and push hard, that's rare anyway.
My 2 stage can adjust any speed level, if I adjust the speed to high, my 2 stage would get the job done fast, faster than a 1 stage.
May 5, 2005
700 posts
38 upvotes
Halifax
xjune9x wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 4:00 pm
My 2 stage can adjust any speed level, if I adjust the speed to high, my 2 stage would get the job done fast, faster than a 1 stage.
It's a matter of preference I guess... You could get a 4 wheeler or truck with a blade on the front and do it in 2 - 3 minutes :D

I'm still doing my "country" gravel driveway (120+ ft long) with a scoop shovel. Been lurking on these threads for a couple of years but haven't bit the bullet yet.

A serious RFD'er buys a $30 shovel (on sale or price match/price error) and gets some exercise ;-)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3286 posts
293 upvotes
wang61 wrote:
I'm curious, why do people like these small snow blowers at that price considering they are much smaller than the large snow blowers that you see on sale occasionally for the same price? Is there some reason that these would be better than the larger type snow blower? I'm thinking about getting a snow blower shortly and can't figure out why I would want a smaller unit for the same price as a larger unit.
+1. One of my coworkers asked me for opinion about snow blower. I said don't cheap on this or you will end up getting a second one. I had snow bank in mind and bought one around $1200 with metallic blade. Glad I made the decision. It's powerful enough to remove the tough solid icy snow bank which is a lot worse than the snow on the ground. Been using it for 5 winters with no problem. I don't have to rush out for fresh snow bank and it will do the job. Just my 0.02
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2205 posts
275 upvotes
Edmonton
wang61 wrote:
All depends on your needs.Here in Edmonton we get dry fluffy snow and hardly ever we get snow dumps so need for a 2 stage is not there. The city does not do residential blading that often and when the do graders come with bobcats to clear windrows. So for us single stage is enough
Mar 17, 2005
913 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
xjune9x wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 4:00 pm
Huh? I was referring to the speed of the user not the machine. Try running with your two stage, and at the same time changing the chute on the fly.
× < >