Computers & Electronics

HD TV Service - Alternative to Rogers & Bell (GTA)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2009 2:02 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2009
10 posts
1 upvote

HD TV Service - Alternative to Rogers & Bell (GTA)

If you are looking for a good deal on HD TV service, you don't need to look at Bell and Rogers, shaw direct (formerly starchoice) is a very good alternative. With monthly rates lower than the bundled rogers and bell prices, it is definitely worth a look.

Its available anywhere in canada (including GTA and surrounding areas) and uses satellite (like Bell TV).

Worth a look. See programming and prices

http://www.starchoice.com/english/progr ... east_e.asp
9 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14315 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
More fun sharing a Bell account with 4 neighbours.
Ever single package + 5 PVR's split 5 ways...now thats a deal !
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3311 posts
489 upvotes
sameolg wrote:
Aug 14th, 2009 12:47 pm
If you are looking for a good deal on HD TV service, you don't need to look at Bell and Rogers, shaw direct (formerly starchoice) is a very good alternative. With monthly rates lower than the bundled rogers and bell prices, it is definitely worth a look.

Its available anywhere in canada (including GTA and surrounding areas) and uses satellite (like Bell TV).

If it's available anywhere in Canada, why specify GTA in your title?
Jun 7, 2009
178 posts
213 upvotes
Just put a pair of rabbit ears (or another type of old-school tv/radio antenna) in your window and hook up to an ATSC tuner (the digital tuner most HDTVs have built inside - or buy an ATSC tuner for your computer, $100 or so). If you can see the CN Tower (where most signals emanate from in GTA) you'll get the basic channels in HD for FREE!

You'll get: CBC, CTV, Global, Sun, OMNI1+2, City.

Depending where you live you'll probably get a number of US stations too (this is what the whole DTV transformation they went through was about). I live in a basement apartment (Broadview+Danforth) have my antenna on the ground and I get the CW network perfectly, Fox sometimes. The majority of people will get ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1440 posts
191 upvotes
East Coast!
how about hacking bell or dishnetwork.. that's even a better deal :D
Mar 5, 2007
277 posts
48 upvotes
sameolg wrote:
Aug 14th, 2009 12:47 pm

Except of course if you want a PVR. The PVR choices for *choice are VERY poor, and VERY expensive. Why *choice has lagged behind (both in price and quality of PVR) so long with PVRs I'll never understand.
Jan 14, 2007
40 posts
9 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Aug 14th, 2009 1:38 pm
Except of course if you want a PVR. The PVR choices for *choice are VERY poor, and VERY expensive. Why *choice has lagged behind (both in price and quality of PVR) so long with PVRs I'll never understand.
Or you can build a Myth box. Automatically scans for and removes commercials. Keeps a full database of already recorded episodes so no dupes. I run my torrent client on it so my downloaded shows are immediately available as videos, no burning dvd's or any other hassle. And that 1TB drive never gets crowded, even with all my music (yes, myth plays music as well). The only fees are a $20/year charge to SchedulesDirect for the programming data.
× < >