None
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14209 posts
961 upvotes
Thornhill
Drew_W wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 3:26 am
Can you just clarify....i.e. those locations have stock from the free-stand deal, and are still offering the free stand deal? This might be worth it....maybe.
They had signs mentioning the free stand deal and were still offering it.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Dec 19, 2010
565 posts
130 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 2:02 am
What is the ultimate mitre saw? The Dewalt? The Bosch glider? Milwaukee?
Festool
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14209 posts
961 upvotes
Thornhill
Drew_W wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 2:02 am
What is the ultimate mitre saw? The Dewalt? The Bosch glider? Milwaukee?
Haven't seen a Festool, but from what's at HD, I'd say the Bosch.

bjl
Conquistador wrote:
Feb 25, 2011
22 posts
13 upvotes
does anyone in Ottawa know which store is still offering the free-stand? thanks
Dec 19, 2010
565 posts
130 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 3:19 pm
Haven't seen a Festool, but from what's at HD, I'd say the Bosch.

bjl
The best part about the Bosch is the relative compactness width-wise if that is an issue, and that the hinge mechanism could/should be less problematic in the long run than sliders. I've used the Bosch a fair bit as a friend got one for a good deal a JC Cayer. As I said, my personal preference is Makita as they just "feel" the nicest to me and the ergos are good for the most part. I never see them on sale, hence why I own a Dewalt, which I'm very satisfied with 4 years on now...
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14209 posts
961 upvotes
Thornhill
DirtyDog wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 11:22 pm
The best part about the Bosch is the relative compactness width-wise if that is an issue, and that the hinge mechanism could/should be less problematic in the long run than sliders. I've used the Bosch a fair bit as a friend got one for a good deal a JC Cayer. As I said, my personal preference is Makita as they just "feel" the nicest to me and the ergos are good for the most part. I never see them on sale, hence why I own a Dewalt, which I'm very satisfied with 4 years on now...
Yeah, the DW718/DWS780 isn't anywhere as smooth as the Bosch, RIDGID, or even the Milwaukee... or even my old Mastercraft Maximum 10" slider. But it's not something that'll affect how it works. If a million contractors don't complain, I don't know why I would.

bjl
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 5, 2009
59 posts
4 upvotes
Fort McMurray wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 5:27 pm
Picked up the Rigid table saw today, one of the workers commented that their store cost was 343 for the 349 saw. (-50 for event)
I need some advice on which is the better table saw. The Dewalt or Ridgid are both on sale with instant savings at the HD. Both are 15 Amp, 10". I am planning on building stairs out of hardwood. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Sep 24, 2001
564 posts
32 upvotes
Thornhill
a lot to copy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 10:39 pm
I need some advice on which is the better table saw. The Dewalt or Ridgid are both on sale with instant savings at the HD. Both are 15 Amp, 10". I am planning on building stairs out of hardwood. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Don't know about which is better as in terms of better cuts, performance, but what I know is Ridgid comes with a built in stand. I ended returning the $299 ridgid and getting the $349 because the smaller one has a big fat warning label saying NEVER use this on the floor. It has to be secured to a stand that is waist high.

The Dewalt one does not come with a stand, so you should consider that as well. People say you can use it on the floor, but you have to be extra careful. Sure you can build one, but can you really trust it? or is it worth your time? Anyways, I just went though that and thought I would share with you.

I actually prefer the $299 one as it is smaller and performs just as well. This $349 one is HUGE!!!
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14209 posts
961 upvotes
Thornhill
zackweed wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 3:07 pm
Don't know about which is better as in terms of better cuts, performance, but what I know is Ridgid comes with a built in stand. I ended returning the $299 ridgid and getting the $349 because the smaller one has a big fat warning label saying NEVER use this on the floor. It has to be secured to a stand that is waist high.

The Dewalt one does not come with a stand, so you should consider that as well. People say you can use it on the floor, but you have to be extra careful. Sure you can build one, but can you really trust it? or is it worth your time? Anyways, I just went though that and thought I would share with you.

I actually prefer the $299 one as it is smaller and performs just as well. This $349 one is HUGE!!!
But for a table saw, unless you're only ripping things like hardwood flooring, wouldn't you want a bigger surface?

Anyway, I have a Craftsman from Sears (looks to be a re-branded Ryobi) with a built-in stand which folds into a wheelbarrow-type form for wheeling around - it definitely is pretty big and spends most of its time in the garage - moving it up and down the stairs to the basement is just a pain, but still doable. The "portable" feature is only used to wheel it to the driveway so I can make some cuts before shoving it back into the garage. I can't imagine using it on the ground without a stand... it's a pretty dangerous tool too, so you don't want to make it any more cumbersome than it is.

bjl
Conquistador wrote:
Sep 3, 2007
608 posts
21 upvotes
Aurora
DirtyDog wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 3:14 pm
Festool
Drooling....some more droolling...wish I could afford anything Festool
Apr 15, 2010
234 posts
45 upvotes
Burlington
Skiguy53 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 11:40 am
+1

you're lucky - most times I can't even find a person that I can ask

their slogan should be "You can do it!! We CAN'T Help"
+2

And when I do find someone that can "help" me, they always never seem to be from the department in which I need help in.

Anyone been to a Home Depot in Buffalo/Niagara Falls, New York? BIG difference in customer service. I was approached by someone offering to help me out within 5 minutes of me walking in.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8345 posts
2505 upvotes
Ottawa
Skiguy53 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 11:40 am
+1

you're lucky - most times I can't even find a person that I can ask

their slogan should be "You can do it!! We CAN'T Help"
Never had a problem at HD. They are also good at chiming in when someone looks confused in front of a few products.

Rona OTOH...as soon as they see you remotely looking for help they start a game of hide-and-go-seek...all 3 of them.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Jan 5, 2009
59 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for sharing your experience. I suppose for $50 more, why not get the stand with it.... just have to make more room in the garage.....somewhere.
× < >