• Apr 16th, 2010 12:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1248 posts
62 upvotes

HDPVR options

instead of paying 25 bucks a month or paying 500 bucks for a HD PVR from rogers i was looking to setup my htpc as a hdpvr. i was looking at the Hauppauge hdpvr but are there any other ones on the market i should be looking at? anybody use the Hauppauge? did you have any issues recording anything at all?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
64 upvotes
Burlington
I have the HD PVR from Hauppage and I use it in conjunction with Snaptream TV (the latter is optional, the box comes with a scheduler and media player).

I find that it works quite will. I will admit that I have had it crap out on me and fail to start a recording but it is not a frequent occurence and it's something I can live with. I think this is more a problem with Snapstream interfacing with the box, I don't recall any issues with the default software.

The only reason I upgraded to Snapstream was because I found the scheduling tool to be cumbersome (although it is not complex by any means) and the default video player does not support the remote that comes with the app and I found it inconvenient having to go to my computer to fast forward through commercials. :)

The box only accepts component cables as video input, not HDMI and not coax, so you will still need a cable or satellite receiver box. I would also see if you can find some snippets of H.264 video on the web to make sure you computer is beefy enough to play it back. If you do a search for HD PVR reviews you can usually find reviewers that have posted sample clips.