• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2017 2:39 pm
Tags:
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes

HDR comptaible VS active HDR?

Hello Everybody,

I am trying to pick up a 4k HDR tv this boxing day. I keep on seeing two different types of HDR: Active HDR and HDR comptaible...whats the difference between these? I googled it but didn't necessarily find anything that aligns with what i was looking for. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Also, in your opinion does HDR make a huge difference? i dont think i have ever seen HDR in person, but I have heard that HDR is essentially a must now.
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
So there are two types of HDR TVs, ones that have a high quality panel that can process and visually produce HDR content on the screen, and ones that can process and visually process HDR content on the screen, but the screen panel lacks the raw specification numbers needed to be considered HDR, so it can do it, just not well.

A good read: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr-vs-sdr
Last edited by coriolis on Dec 20th, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
To actually have a hope of seeing HDR your screen needs local-dimming backlighting, i.e., the kind with an array of individually-controlled backlight LEDs rather than just the edge lighting common to cheaper TVs. TVs that say "HDR Ready" or "HDR Compatible" mean that they can accept an HDR signal, but can't display the extra dynamic range, so it looks the same as a non-HDR signal.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
DontCareyou wrote: thanks guys. so Active HDR it is!
It's not just active... it's where the light came (or not came) from:

image from AVSForum (exaggerated to illustrate the problem with edge-lit):
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Dec 13, 2017
267 posts
204 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: It's not just active... it's where the light came (or not came) from:

image from AVSForum (exaggerated to illustrate the problem with edge-lit):
You are right. The ones that i was looking at have full array dimming. The bottom is the exact issue i have with my current tv. It really destroys the experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)