• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 12:11 am
[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
887 posts
557 upvotes
Pickering

Head Unit Screen Protector

Looking to protect the screen from scratches etc. Does anyone use one or have a brand they would recommend?
15 replies
Dec 17, 2015
396 posts
117 upvotes
York, ON
Try pacific mall. They should have a sheet for custom cut ones that unpopular phones. I’ve done that while visiting overseas
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1014 posts
235 upvotes
Edmonton
Theres no brand for this really. Just go on ebay/Amazon and buy a glass screen protector for whatever vehicle it is
Oct 13, 2010
524 posts
61 upvotes
Amazon has tempered glass. Make sure you get the right size for right trim level
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
didn't even know this was a thing, are you worried about scratching it? it's not gonna be any less fingerprint proof?

what about sunlight glare? probably worse?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Sep 30, 2008
887 posts
557 upvotes
Pickering
twitchyzero wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 2:31 am
didn't even know this was a thing, are you worried about scratching it? it's not gonna be any less fingerprint proof?

what about sunlight glare? probably worse?
Ya, protecting from scratches is the main goal. Fingerprints won't bother me since they can be cleaned/I wiped, but am concerned with glare or even reduced visibility which is why I made this thread to see if anyone had any personal experience/recommendations.

I guess I'll just try my luck with something from Amazon, cheap enough gamble even if it doesn't work or I don't like it.
Aug 26, 2018
421 posts
299 upvotes
It's not like a cell phone that gets daily use being roughed up rubbing against keys and pockets. Odds of it getting scratched isn't as great as that of a phone. My screen gets daily use and isn't scratched at all. If something is capable of scratching it, then you'd have to worry about the leather and other trim pieces on the car too.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12248 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I bought one to reduce the amount of fingerprints on the screen. It helps a bit, as well as reducing the glare, but not as much as I'd like. Still, better than nothing I suppose.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 2:25 pm
I bought one to reduce the amount of fingerprints on the screen. It helps a bit, as well as reducing the glare, but not as much as I'd like. Still, better than nothing I suppose.
link?

i realized mine is quite close to the keys...would rather not get scratches all over it
do you have one that you can recommend that doesn't increase glare?
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2431 posts
1259 upvotes
GTA
I find these protectors pointless. Many time I feel like smashing it, not protecting. Soooo slooow. And that stupid safety warning you have to okay 50 times every dayPouting Face
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
what does any of that have to do with the protector? your deck is just resistive touch screen and/or old...the pioneer decks made in the last 4-5 years skips the warning after a few seconds

anyways for like $3-4 i'll try it
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2841 posts
592 upvotes
Oshawa
Phat$ wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 9:24 am
Looking to protect the screen from scratches etc. Does anyone use one or have a brand they would recommend?
eBay ... Amazon ... Aliexpress ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23465 posts
3763 upvotes
If you have a resistive screen HU, don't even bother with this. If you have one with a cap. screen and are a female (i.e. long nails) then maybe you can consider it but TBH after owning three screen HUs (two of them resistive) I don't see the point in this unless you have kids or something that might "do something stupid". HU's not like a phone where you carry it around in your pockets, put it face-down on desks or counters, might drop it, etc.

Resistive screens don't really scratch (if you manage to visibly scratch one of those you've probably also destroyed the screen) and as said even cap. screen ones, it's not like you're carrying it around in your pockets where it might get scratched.

Another note about one on a resistive screen, it will probably make it reflective whereas it's likely already matte. This will just make glare worse (and is actually one of the cons of having a cap. screen unit).

If you really want one, go ahead; personally I just don't think they are necessary.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1257 posts
828 upvotes
Phat$ wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 9:24 am
I used a generic laptop screen protector that's cut to size.
It's hard to install properly, I always get some dust inbetween that you can see especially when the screen is off. Even with the dust, I'd still rather have it on.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11138 posts
5297 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Tempered glass will make reflections worse. I actually have trouble seeing my HU when I wear polarized sunglasses, I know a plastic shield would help because the factory film lets me see the screen, but you can tell it was the cheap packaging one. I did try a cut to fit film, too many installation bubbles, my OCD wants a spotless screen when it’s off lol