Computers & Electronics

Headphones or earphones with a good lasting wire?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2008 1:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 9, 2008
130 posts
Toronto, ON

Headphones or earphones with a good lasting wire?

lately every ear phone I use.. one side usually goes out in time, my sony psp earbuds just went out a couple of days ago. I would say its the wire's? fault.

are there any good headphones or earphones out there that have a strong cord? I've seen headphones that have the telephone style cord (spiral)

any suggestions? Thanks in advance
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1723 posts
48 upvotes
hmmm. feel free to check out the sennheiser cx-300 on amazon or something. great sound.

i happen to have one set sitting around. (bought 2, 1 black , 1 white) now i realize i don't really need the black set so u can take it if u want.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
Sennheiser puts Kevlar fibres in their headphone cords. I could add a few words about typical Sony quality, but I'll restrain myself...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1698 posts
54 upvotes
Windsor
I've had both etymotic ER6i's and my current ER4P's for a couple years, haven't destroyed them yet.. normal headphones last me about a few months before the wires break.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2003
2235 posts
67 upvotes
I use earbuds, and had previously owned the Sony MDR-EX71. I really liked these in terms of sound and fit but the wires have a flaw and tend to wear out.

So I replaced them with the JBL Reference 200 earphones. I actually grabbed these on a whim when I was in the Apple Store to buy a case for my iPod. I had no prior knowledge if these were any good but it turns out they are.

I like these because the wires feel very durable compared to my old Sonys. Bonus, these come with a large carrying case that perfectly fits an iPod Touch/iPhone.

You can grab them from the Apple Store for $99
Nov 4, 2006
462 posts
1 upvote
Double on the etymotics... I don't own them (have Shures, with a big round wire... better than most) but they seem to be really durable.
Oct 18, 2007
829 posts
44 upvotes
jb22 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2008 11:40 pm
I use earbuds, and had previously owned the Sony MDR-EX71. I really liked these in terms of sound and fit but the wires have a flaw and tend to wear out.

So I replaced them with the JBL Reference 200 earphones. I actually grabbed these on a whim when I was in the Apple Store to buy a case for my iPod. I had no prior knowledge if these were any good but it turns out they are.

I like these because the wires feel very durable compared to my old Sonys. Bonus, these come with a large carrying case that perfectly fits an iPod Touch/iPhone.

You can grab them from the Apple Store for $99
Why pay full price when you can buy a cheap chinese clone for $4.32?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3396

You get a similar look, a brandname you've never heard of, and very suspect quality!

btw, i did buy a pair of these and while the sound quality isn't THAT bad (better than stock) i did experience the same problems other ppl had with different headphones of the cables fraying. So while i wouldn't recommend them its nice to now know what my headphones are trying to impersonate. :D
Glory to Arstotzka
[OP]
Mar 9, 2008
130 posts
Toronto, ON
I'm thinking a good reason for my headphones breaking is since there is an extension in the middle of the two wires, i usually just yank them apart.. maybe that says something..

i've seen someone in school with a headphone that has a spiral cord, are there any others that have that type of cord? checking out the sennheisers now.

not really looking for insane sound quality, more of good wire/sound

the cord like this: not the headphones though lmao
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
6964 posts
97 upvotes
New Westminster
Consider getting headphone with detachable cable. That way, you can just get new cable.

ultimate ears has IEMs with detachable cable. some high end sennheiser as well.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2194 posts
153 upvotes
I bought a coiled extension cable for a few dollars in Walmart when I needed to plug 3.5mm headphones into the 1/4" headphone socket on my PC. That may be an option.

Of course the best option, if you're using the headphones in a fixed location (e.g. with a PC at night), is to go wireless.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1645 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
CJJ25 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2008 6:26 pm
hmmm. feel free to check out the sennheiser cx-300 on amazon or something. great sound.

i happen to have one set sitting around. (bought 2, 1 black , 1 white) now i realize i don't really need the black set so u can take it if u want.
CX-300's has the worst wire I've seen on headphones, its just to thin. If you accidentally tug on them or if they get caught on something then its GG. Hey, don't get me wrong.. I've got a pair of CX-300 my self, love the sound that comes out of these buds. If you want a great sounding pair of in-ear headphones then I suggest Shure E2C's. It might be a bit old but man it has some great sound and nice strong wire.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/url]--------------------------------------
flickr
Jul 23, 2005
332 posts
Quebec
I used to own some Sony V900s that had a coiled cable.... coiled cables can be really, really annoying for anything except studio work (which I do not do). They're big, heavy and hard to keep out of the way. And since you're mentioning portable use I strongly recommend you do not get a coiled cable. Just buy a reputable brand of headphones next time. For in-ear/canalphones there's etymotic, ultimate ears, westone, denon, sennheiser. Shure has some cable problems on a small percentage of their high end models (E500 / SE530) but I think the others are fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4476 posts
37 upvotes
If you ever go to the US, look for KOSS earbuds..

KOSS has limited lifetime warranty on all of its headphone products.. great for wear-and-tear. I usually send mine back once every 4-5yrs when they finally break. I got a large pair of headphones when I was 16.. I'm 26 now and they're still going strong!

$10 shipping to Minniapolis, and a week later I have a new pair!

If you don't go to the US. go into Bestbuy and pick up a a pair of "skullcandy Ink'd" earbuds. They also have a limited lifetime warranty on them. Cost about $10/ea for plastic, and $60 for the metal versions.

If you are worried about the price/sound ratio.. let me tell you a story. I found a a pair of "Sentry Bulletz Stereo Earbuds - model HO450" for $6 in a dollar store in Florida.. no warranty what-so-ever but man..I figured for $6, they'd get me through a couple weeks and I'd go get something real. But man... awesome quality~ I don't even go past 15% of the volume switch on my DS.. the sound is clear and extremely loud if I go further up. ;) I almost missed my stop this morning, because I was paying too much attention into Bubble Bobble DS..

On my PSP, I usually put the volume around 1/2 if I want to drown out the noise of the subway or my surroundings..

Expensive isn't always better.

Bottomline, go for lifetime warranty.. Headphones/earbuds will always---ALWAYS break. And when they do, we're forced to forcibly research for a new earphone technology that might or might not end up sounding as good as the ones we faithfully used for so long.

Why go through the hassle? A lifetime warranty = 25yrs.. which is a damn good shelf life for any electronic piece of equipment.
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
I placed 3rd in 2011 National I.T. Hero Competition http://bit.ly/ebKrHC
Have IT Questions/Problems? PM me, I'll be happy to help!
You can visit my LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jeremyhowell

Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
× < >