• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:44 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
29 posts
13 upvotes
Nanaimo

Heads up about Star Wars Battlefront 2

Apparently it's full of micro transactions, and by microtransactions I mean the core heroes take 40 hours of grinding or hundreds of dollars each to unlock. I was going to buy as gifts but it sounds like an obnoxious set up.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star- ... 0-6454825/
81 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10144 posts
701 upvotes
Mississauga
EA has already backed down and reduced the credits needed to get Vader or Luke by 75%.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
773 upvotes
Grimsby
I just have to LOL at EA literally monetizing annoyance. They would've made fine money off cosmetics alone, Star Wars stuff sells like crazy. There was really no need for any of that crap. People used to play MP games because they were fun instead of for loot crates, cards, credits, XP bars and etc. MP is such a shame these days.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
LOL EA was so quick to pull back on this, which is good... but gamers are ridiculous too. Some EA employees were getting death threats and being attacked online for working on this game, and I doubt many of them had anything to do with the decisions of its employers.

At the end of the day, I play Battlefront not to play as the heroes. SWBF1 to me was all about the ground combat, and being an Imperial/Rebel infantry or pilot. The heroes are actually the least interesting part of the game for me, although it is cool to fight alongside them.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
The initial response from EA on Reddit is now the most downvoted comment in Reddit history
It was at -400K yesterday and is at -660K today. That is just...wow. I'm at the point where I largely ignore hype machine releases from big publishers so I'm kind of numb to this stuff and just expect it but I am happy to finally see this garbage being called out on such a large scale.
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:16 am
At the end of the day, I play Battlefront not to play as the heroes. SWBF1 to me was all about the ground combat, and being an Imperial/Rebel infantry or pilot. The heroes are actually the least interesting part of the game for me, although it is cool to fight alongside them.
The issue is content like that shouldn't be gated behind a 40 hour grind or a paywall period. Especially when they're being bought by kids who run up these charges on their parents credit cards with no second thought. The heroes thing was only part of the issue and other gameplay unlocks are gated behind a pay to win microtransaction model. The heroes thing is just getting the most attention because it's so blatantly stupid.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1541 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:16 am
LOL EA was so quick to pull back on this, which is good... but gamers are ridiculous too. Some EA employees were getting death threats and being attacked online for working on this game, and I doubt many of them had anything to do with the decisions of its employers.

Good, as they should be. This micro-transaction trend needs to die, and I want there to be as much fury, hatred and death threats thrown around until it stops.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:26 am
Good, as they should be. This micro-transaction trend needs to die, and I want there to be as much fury, hatred and death threats thrown around until it stops.
LOL you're saying it's ok to start deriding and threatening employees of companies whose practices we don't agree with? What a world we live in. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about death threats but the best thing that could come of this is Disney using the bad publicity as a reason to cut ties with EA. Maybe then there'd be hope of getting some actual decent Star Wars games in 3-5 years time. Star Wars used to be a coveted franchise in gaming but as long as it's stuck with EA nothing good will ever come of it
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4789 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Unfortunately EA did not really pull back anything on this, sure they made heroes cheaper but that really isn't t the big problem IMO and it's good to see they have changed the system a bit but people are complaining about the wrong things because they haven't played the game.

I played a ton of the beta and 10 hours of the full version and I feel I've played enough to see th system for what it's worth.

First of all regarding heros it never took 40 hours to unlock a hero, in the 10 hours playing through the trial I'd collected enough credits to unlock 1.5 heros. There is I think 18 heroes in total and only 6 are unlocked so you'll have plenty of heroes to choose in the meantime. Honestly a system like this in instead of DLC I'm all in favor for, let people who want to unlock this stuff early pay for it and let everyone else earn it.

The real issues is around the Star cards in generals and its so dam disappointing because the game itself is so enjoyable to play. Basically this is what is unlocked with the crates and they sell you and in them is different power ups of different quality and type that boost your characters overall ability, if it sounds confusing its because it totally is. Anyways these abilities are totally random so just playing the assault class alone through 10 hours I wasn't able to unlock a single assault star card, I unlocked plenty of cards but it's split between all the classes, secondary classes, and heroes so the chances of getting a card for a class you play is already incredibly low on top of that the chance of getting a high level card for a class you already play feels like it might be like winning the lottery.

The system sucks, it encourages people to pay money for an incredibly low chance to get an item that might help thier character improve in the game. It's not totally P2W like a lot of F2P games are because skill and strategy will always win in these sceneries but its dam disheartening to see you get taken down in a 1on1 situation when the guy has some high level star cards that anyone who doesn't sink dozen of hours or spend a bunch of money will ever see. It's almost as egregious as the EA sports ultimate team stuff.

I'm 100% okay with developers putting loot boxes in games as an increased revenue stream for developers means more money for them which means more games for us but make it cosmetic/hero unlock only, don't ruin the long term enjoyment of your game for everyone trying to fleece people.

I've been a strong supporter of this game because it is a ton of fun but after seeing how the starcard system I can't drop 80$ on this game. Not out of some protest to loot boxes or something like that but because a game with some egregious P2W systems like this just becomes frustrating after the systems they implemented Bite you in the ass.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1541 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:32 am
LOL you're saying it's ok to start deriding and threatening employees of companies whose practices we don't agree with? What a world we live in. :facepalm:
With EA having the most downvoted comment in reddit history, you're literally disagreeing with the gaming community as a whole. Extremely stupid ideas (microtransactions) are met with extremely aggressive responses (death threats et al). You're saying we should do nothing and let gaming companies get away with highway robbery? If anything we need to push back harder and maybe they'll get the message to cut this out.

Go virtue signal in tumblr.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1943 posts
1293 upvotes
Montreal
Lmao, some people take this shit so seriously.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3186 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:18 am
The issue is content like that shouldn't be gated behind a 40 hour grind or a paywall period. Especially when they're being bought by kids who run up these charges on their parents credit cards with no second thought. The heroes thing was only part of the issue and other gameplay unlocks are gated behind a pay to win microtransaction model. The heroes thing is just getting the most attention because it's so blatantly stupid.
I'm obviously not condoning what EA is doing, and I understand how frustrating this is for those who wanted to play as the heroes. I don't often have much time to grind in games, so something like this is an inconvenience, and I don't want to reward companies for this practice either... But I also don't play this game to be a jedi or sith. There are better examples of that in previous SW games.

And to all those who want to protest, by all means, go after the company itself. Send angry tweets/comments at their social media accounts and protest that way. Downvote to your hearts content and submit negative reviews. But to go after a contracted worker who has no say in the decisions being made by the larger company just reeks of insensitivity and entitlement. It's inconsiderate, but that seems to comprise a large proportion of the vocal gaming community unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1541 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:39 am
I don't know about death threats but the best thing that could come of this is Disney using the bad publicity as a reason to cut ties with EA. Maybe then there'd be hope of getting some actual decent Star Wars games in 3-5 years time. Star Wars used to be a coveted franchise in gaming but as long as it's stuck with EA nothing good will ever come of it
Jedi Academy remains one of my favorite MP games of all time. I don't know why we couldn't get something similar these days.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1541 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
clee290 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:57 am
Lmao, some people take this shit so seriously.
Video games are serious bizness yo.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4789 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:48 am
With EA having the most downvoted comment in reddit history, you're literally disagreeing with the gaming community as a whole. Extremely stupid ideas (microtransactions) are met with extremely aggressive responses (death threats et al). You're saying we should do nothing and let gaming companies get away with highway robbery? If anything we need to push back harder and maybe they'll get the message to cut this out.

Go virtue signal in tumblr.
I don't understand, I get pushing back but using death threats seems almost counter productive. Ignoring for a second how embarrassing it is for these people to stoop to those sort of levels over a videogame, there are far more effective ways to make your voice heard and show your disapproval.