• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 12:03 pm
Nov 12, 2014
147 posts
32 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:48 am
With EA having the most downvoted comment in reddit history, you're literally disagreeing with the gaming community as a whole. Extremely stupid ideas (microtransactions) are met with extremely aggressive responses (death threats et al). You're saying we should do nothing and let gaming companies get away with highway robbery? If anything we need to push back harder and maybe they'll get the message to cut this out.

Go virtue signal in tumblr.
It's fine to be angry or disagree - but death threats? That crosses a line, and I hope anyone who made such a threat is charged. Just because you're hiding behind a keyboard doesn't make it OK to threaten someones life. Ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
It's not like everyone who is unhappy with these things is out sending death threats to developers. If a very small minority want to do that then I can't stop them anyway so don't lump me in there. "its ok to care but come on guys? Death threats?!" as if we're the ones sending them.It just seems like a way of dismissing peoples concerns. Death threats? Bad. These kinds of silly monetization systems? Also bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1573 posts
702 upvotes
Hamilton
QN5252 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:05 am
It's fine to be angry or disagree - but death threats? That crosses a line, and I hope anyone who made such a threat is charged. Just because you're hiding behind a keyboard doesn't make it OK to threaten someones life. Ridiculous.
Enjoy more and more microtransactions in your games then. The trend certainly isn't in the direction of them going away with our current complacent attitudes.

Won't be long before everything is pay to win.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:59 am
I'm obviously not condoning what EA is doing, and I understand how frustrating this is for those who wanted to play as the heroes. I don't often have much time to grind in games, so something like this is an inconvenience, and I don't want to reward companies for this practice either... But I also don't play this game to be a jedi or sith. There are better examples of that in previous SW games.
Same I don't care about the heroes thing either but I do care about having a level and fair playing field in full priced game. The fact that someone can go spend an extra $200 to have a blatant gameplay advantage is straight up garbage. I've traditionally enjoyed Star Wars games and multiplayer FPS was my most played genre growing up but I've basically moved on from it because grindy unlock systems and the microtransactions associated with them have ruined the genre for me.
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:00 am
Jedi Academy remains one of my favorite MP games of all time. I don't know why we couldn't get something similar these days.
I just replayed that last year and it's crazy how that game still has by far the best lightsaber combat over a decade later. I'd love a modern follow up to that series but as long as it's with EA we'll never get that
Last edited by ReeGee on Nov 14th, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2501 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
clee290 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:57 am
Lmao, some people take this shit so seriously.
The majority of the population that has the most expendable income today are those that were nerds/geeks back in the days.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:16 am
Same I don't care about the heroes thing either but I do care about having a level and fair playing field in full priced game. The fact that someone can go spend an extra $200 to have a blatant gameplay advantage is straight up garbage. I've traditionally enjoyed Star Wars games and multiplayer FPS was my most played genre growing up but I've basically moved on from it because grindy unlock systems and the microtransactions associated with them have ruined the genre for me.
It's funny because I see some people saying that they stop playing games once they run out of unlocks. For me it's the opposite, I just want to play with all of the weapons and decide what works best for my gameplay style. But I can't because they're often locked behind an absurd treadmill so I end up getting frustrated with the incremental progress just to finally discover the way I want to play and end up quitting.
Nov 12, 2014
147 posts
32 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:14 am
Enjoy more and more microtransactions in your games then. The trend certainly isn't in the direction of them going away with our current complacent attitudes.

Won't be long before everything is pay to win.
So you can't complain about it without threatening someones life? Are you 12?
Would you do that to someones face if you didn't like the way something was going? Holy crap! I weep for the world.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:19 am
It's funny because I see some people saying that they stop playing games once they run out of unlocks. For me it's the opposite, I just want to play with all of the weapons and decide what works best for my gameplay style. But I can't because they're often locked behind an absurd treadmill so I end up getting frustrated with the incremental progress just to finally discover the way I want to play and end up quitting.
I can only assume people like that probably got into gaming or the FPS genre after unlock systems were introduced and became the norm. I think it probably started or at least got popular with COD4. Ever since then it's like every FPS game needs to have some annoying unlock system to have lasting appeal. I doubt most those people played or remember games like Quake, UT, CS, Halo 1, etc where people kept playing for years without any of that crap
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4905 posts
1736 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:47 am
Unfortunately EA did not really pull back anything on this, sure they made heroes cheaper but that really isn't t the big problem IMO and it's good to see they have changed the system a bit but people are complaining about the wrong things because they haven't played the game.

I played a ton of the beta and 10 hours of the full version and I feel I've played enough to see th system for what it's worth.

First of all regarding heros it never took 40 hours to unlock a hero, in the 10 hours playing through the trial I'd collected enough credits to unlock 1.5 heros. There is I think 18 heroes in total and only 6 are unlocked so you'll have plenty of heroes to choose in the meantime. Honestly a system like this in instead of DLC I'm all in favor for, let people who want to unlock this stuff early pay for it and let everyone else earn it.

The real issues is around the Star cards in generals and its so dam disappointing because the game itself is so enjoyable to play. Basically this is what is unlocked with the crates and they sell you and in them is different power ups of different quality and type that boost your characters overall ability, if it sounds confusing its because it totally is. Anyways these abilities are totally random so just playing the assault class alone through 10 hours I wasn't able to unlock a single assault star card, I unlocked plenty of cards but it's split between all the classes, secondary classes, and heroes so the chances of getting a card for a class you play is already incredibly low on top of that the chance of getting a high level card for a class you already play feels like it might be like winning the lottery.

The system sucks, it encourages people to pay money for an incredibly low chance to get an item that might help thier character improve in the game. It's not totally P2W like a lot of F2P games are because skill and strategy will always win in these sceneries but its dam disheartening to see you get taken down in a 1on1 situation when the guy has some high level star cards that anyone who doesn't sink dozen of hours or spend a bunch of money will ever see. It's almost as egregious as the EA sports ultimate team stuff.

I'm 100% okay with developers putting loot boxes in games as an increased revenue stream for developers means more money for them which means more games for us but make it cosmetic/hero unlock only, don't ruin the long term enjoyment of your game for everyone trying to fleece people.

I've been a strong supporter of this game because it is a ton of fun but after seeing how the starcard system I can't drop 80$ on this game. Not out of some protest to loot boxes or something like that but because a game with some egregious P2W systems like this just becomes frustrating after the systems they implemented Bite you in the ass.
That's why you pre-order for $50. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
QN5252 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:29 am
So you can't complain about it without threatening someones life? Are you 12?
Would you do that to someones face if you didn't like the way something was going? Holy crap! I weep for the world.
A good friend of mine actually had to go through a similar thing. She doesn't work in games, but she works in a communication capacity for a company that was getting a lot of flak for something she wasn't even involved in. But a small but vocal minority decided that they would go one step further and try to punish the people who worked there. So they trolled LinkedIn to find people whose job titles might be linked to the department they were critical of (Surprise, she had nothing to do even with the thing they were hating on) and they started trolling and spamming her personal accounts. They went so far as to share links to all of her personal accounts, find specific tweets or posts or whatever, and putting that on blast, sharing her linkedin profile online so that they could take shots at her too.

It's BS that this is what people resort to, but I don't think people actually realize the type of hell they put people through when they resort to these things. And this was a small case and not the kind of vitriol that companies like EA regularly get.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:51 am
That's why you pre-order for $50. Face With Tears Of Joy
Even that is too much given what he described. His explanation of the star card thing was pretty confusing and enough for me to never spend a dime on this game. Only way I ever play it is if they add it to the Origin vault.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3187 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:34 am
I can only assume people like that probably got into gaming or the FPS genre after unlock systems were introduced and became the norm. I think it probably started or at least got popular with COD4. Ever since then it's like every FPS game needs to have some annoying unlock system to have lasting appeal. I doubt most those people played or remember games like Quake, UT, CS, Halo 1, etc where people kept playing for years without any of that crap
I played a ton of Quake/Quake2/ActionQuake/UT/CS/etc during the late 90s/early 2000s because they were the best FPS games with active communities, but part of why I played so much of that was also because there weren't 2-3 other games being released within 2 months that competed directly with them. COD4 was revolutionary in its time, and they shrewdly introduced incremental unlocks to keep players playing their game, not to mention the whole prestige aspect. But as more developers took to that too, now we have so much competition for our gaming time. And they definitely want you to keep playing their game as long as possible, especially now that loot boxes and micro transactions are in play.

It's the best time to play video games because there's so much choice. But it's also such a frustrating time, because all those games are vying for our attention, using slow progression to keep us grinding away, and potentially spending money in the process.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5946 posts
777 upvotes
Grimsby
LOL EA plans next gen controller, from reddit:

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:23 pm
I played a ton of Quake/Quake2/ActionQuake/UT/CS/etc during the late 90s/early 2000s because they were the best FPS games with active communities, but part of why I played so much of that was also because there weren't 2-3 other games being released within 2 months that competed directly with them. COD4 was revolutionary in its time, and they shrewdly introduced incremental unlocks to keep players playing their game, not to mention the whole prestige aspect. But as more developers took to that too, now we have so much competition for our gaming time. And they definitely want you to keep playing their game as long as possible, especially now that loot boxes and micro transactions are in play.

It's the best time to play video games because there's so much choice. But it's also such a frustrating time, because all those games are vying for our attention, using slow progression to keep us grinding away, and potentially spending money in the process.
I know people like me are probably in the minority at this point but any high quality shooter that releases without some dumb progression system is easily getting my money over any of the ones that have it. That's why I typically lean towards single player shooters these days and why I bought Wolfenstein 2 despite COD, Destiny 2 or BF2 being the more popular choices. Ironically for me that efforts to keep players hooked with progression systems is exactly what drove me away from my once most played favorite genre.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4796 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:03 pm
I know people like me are probably in the minority at this point but any high quality shooter that releases without some dumb progression system is easily getting my money over any of the ones that have it. That's why I typically lean towards single player shooters these days and why I bought Wolfenstein 2 despite COD, Destiny 2 or BF2 being the more popular choices. Ironically for me that efforts to keep players hooked with progression systems is exactly what drove me away from my once most played favorite genre.
The market has really spoken here, gamers nowadays apparently need value out of their games which means either a 30-40 hour open world experience or some form of multiplayer with infinite replaybility.

To a majority of people a solid 10 hour single player experience isn't worth forking over full price and they'll either wait till its dirt cheap or skip it entirely. I've heard the argument about value probably 100 times on this board alone.