Heads up about Star Wars Battlefront 2

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 7:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5957 posts
1676 upvotes
Canada
One of the biggest overreactions in gaming history is occurring right now.

What's happening in this game is no different than most of the games in this genre ... and even others.

Halo 5 was exactly like this, except perhaps even worse as the card unlocks were one shot uses for the most part.

Most of the scrubs crying about the "cost of Vader", probably aren't capable of unlocking enough objective points in a single round to spawn a Hero regardless.

I doubt it's any sort of big loss for the multiplayer community as I'm sure all those people that "cancelled" their orders weren't going to be active anyways. Gonna enjoy every minute of it ... the beta was astoundingly fun and beautiful.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5254 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:36 pm
The market has really spoken here, gamers nowadays apparently need value out of their games which means either a 30-40 hour open world experience or some form of multiplayer with infinite replaybility.

To a majority of people a solid 10 hour single player experience isn't worth forking over full price and they'll either wait till its dirt cheap or skip it entirely. I've heard the argument about value probably 100 times on this board alone.
You don't have to have shoehorn a gameplay progression system into an FPS for it to be infinitely repayable though. There are a handful that you've mentioned before that are currently successful with only cosmetic unlocks like Overwatch, CSGO, Halo 5 and I think PUBG counts as well. Countless others shooters in years past have proved to be successful without grindy progression systems. Unfortunately for me it seems like most of the realistic, tactical and battlefield style shooters I'm into all have this crap in them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5254 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
I've never played Halo 5 multplayer before and was recalling Spicy mentioning it being cosmetic only in a prior thread or I misunderstood him. In any case my point stands with Overwatch, CSGO, PUBG and perhaps others I've forgotten.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4787 posts
616 upvotes
calgary
raspeed wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:46 pm
What are you talking about? Most of the vehicles and fun things in Halo 5 were locked behind random loot crate cards.

Incredible how quickly people forget:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/foru ... 7f76/posts
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:51 pm
I've never played Halo 5 multplayer before and was recalling Spicy mentioning it being cosmetic only in a prior thread or I misunderstood him. In any case my point stands with Overwatch, CSGO, PUBG and perhaps others I've forgotten.
The big battle mode with MOBA elements called warzone that had locked different vehicles and guns behind loot crates but even then it was balanced pretty well so you never really felt at a huge disadvantage, you could collect all kinds of cool skinned weapons and vehicles to use and a bunch had a different variety. There was also a PVE variation where you would use your req points to defeat a bunch of NPCs bosses which was also pretty fun. All the regular modes (death match, objective based games, big team battle) where I spent 90% of my time was cosmetic only (weapon/spartan skins) and really fine tuned to be balanced. No load outs, or progression or anything like that, it's entirely skill based.
As a result all DLC has been free since it launched and they're still contining to support it to this day with DLC.

Honestly IMO Halo 5 and Overwatch are the gold standard for microtransactions and puts any community splitting paid DLC to shame.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5957 posts
1676 upvotes
Canada
I completely disagree. Those who were willing to blow lots of money and expend cards like candy in Warzone had (have) a huge advantage. The P2W involving Halo REQ is far worse than any of the progression stuff we were shown in BF2 beta/demo.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2002
1888 posts
25 upvotes
Belleville
Played the EA Access Trial for a few hours and cancelled my pre-order. The graphics look nice and the gameplay was pretty fun. But I am thinking the price will drop significantly by the time they figure out the right balance for unlocks. Titanfall 2, ME:A and BF1 were on EA access after 7-10 months so it may be worth waiting until next summer.
Jan 17, 2017
67 posts
36 upvotes
I'm debating cancelling my pre-order, but I got it at 50$, so it's tough.

The heroes cost are one thing, but having a progression system that is based on randomness and having that progression system make players much more powerful than others it's stupid. Unfair advantage to people willing to fork over tons of money is just dumb.

At least in Overwatch, everything is just cosmetic.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
IMO cancel. Gotta speak with your wallet. If you aren't happy with it but buy it anyway that sends companies the wrong message. Not like there isn't a ton of other stuff to play right now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5543 posts
1240 upvotes
WATCH OUT!

Apparently in Star Wars: BFII, they spoil who Rey's parents' are from The Last Jedi.
May 9, 2007
792 posts
208 upvotes
This loot crate business is now starting to hit mainstream media like BBC. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling and government steps in to regulate what is essentially glorified gambling in a kids videogame run by Disney no less.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41997252

May 9, 2007
792 posts
208 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:57 pm
There's an ongoing AMA right now with 3 of the developers. Some of their answers are so vague and baffling it's amazing they even agreed to do this.
The devs are being vague, firstly to avoid more backlash and secondly because they are flying off the seat of their pants trying to figure out how to fix this mess. Their response to the backlash was to slash the cost of Vader and Luke by 75% so that it takes you 10 hours to unlock each character nstead of the ridiculous 40 hours. Sounds good right? Well they also slashed the rewards! So before when you completed the campaign you would receive 20K credits, now you only receive 5K!

This is easily the biggest backlash in gaming history. EA community manager's response hit a record of most downvoted post in Reddit history with 300K votes, is now at 678K downvotes! EA's stock price also took a dip today. Dice is a good developer, let's hope they don't get shutdown due to the incompetence of EA like their previous studios like Bullfrog, Maxis, Mythic, Westwood and most recently Visceral Studios.

EA is also currently being investigated by the Belgium government.
https://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/onderz ... -wars-spel

Ea's dream of charging gamers to buy bullets finally came true, except that instead of buying bullets you buy cards! Loot Skywalker amiright?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2188 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
go leafs wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:12 pm
Played the EA Access Trial for a few hours and cancelled my pre-order. The graphics look nice and the gameplay was pretty fun. But I am thinking the price will drop significantly by the time they figure out the right balance for unlocks. Titanfall 2, ME:A and BF1 were on EA access after 7-10 months so it may be worth waiting until next summer.
yep.

last year around this time, I made the biggest mistake when I bought Battlefield 1 for $100... only to find out 2 weeks later it was sold for $100 to get 2 games = battlefield 1 and the mechwarrior shooter game.. i forget the name now..

my rule for new releases is wait until black friday, or after black friday.... gauranteed you will get star wars for less than full price in 2 weeks. I can wait. I got PubG keeping me company.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2188 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
I have to say, I agree but I also disagree.

40 hours to unlock Vader or Luke? That's not really that bad though... yeah the shit players might take longer than that. who knows..

but I remmeber playing battlefield 4, and grinding to get all the unlocks on my precious Apache. But man I freaking loved every minute of earning those points... having a TV missile, blowing up newbs that couldn't fly the chopper, nor know how to gun.. that was fun times.
in every signel battlefield, you had to grind up the guns, or so special things to unlock guns.... but that was also what was fun about it.. sure u can pay to unlock all the guns. but it doesn't make sense.

I get it, it's not really fair being on a server with 64 players, and some having all the unlocks, while others had none..... But honestly, it didn't make that much difference.. there wasn't that huge of an advantage... Even with the tank/plane/chopper unlocks... It didn't make you a better pilot to have all the unlocks.. IF YOU WERE a good player with all the unlocks, VERSUS a good player with NO unlocks, then the good player with the unlocks generally had a smaller advantage... But I was just mercing nubs with the basic shit just as easily with the advanced stuff that comes with hours of play.

honeslty, 40 hours to unlock what I presume to be the best Jedi in the game - Luke skywalker, is not really that big of a deal... most people probably hit 40 hours of play in their first 2 weeks..

pay to win has always been around, so i dont know why people getting all butt hurt nowadays... you can Pay... or you can play. I chose to play, it's more fun knowing that with that next head shot you unlock gun XYZ. makes you adjust your play style to get that epic head shot.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

nihilist07