PC & Video Games

Heads up about Star Wars Battlefront 2

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 12:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6038 posts
1319 upvotes
EA's stock has lost $3 Billion in value since the release of Star Wars Battlefront II due to negative backlash.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-has ... nt-2.8550/
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-day ... ter%7Cmain
Electronic Arts' shareholders are running for the hills this month and for good reason.

The company's profitable business model is now at risk after angry gamers revolted over its aggressive in-game moneymaking strategy in "Star Wars Battlefront II."

EA's stock is down 8.5 percent month to date through Tuesday compared with the S&P 500's 2 percent gain, wiping out $3.1 billion of shareholder value. Its competitors Take-Two and Activision Blizzardshares are up 5 percent and 0.7 percent respectively during the same time period.

After EA gave a Dec. quarter sales forecast slightly below Wall Street estimates on Oct. 31, some analysts suspected it was due to the Stars Wars title. The shares fell 4 percent the following day.
Videogame Dunkey reviews Star Wars Battlefront 2 Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EB Games also welched on their advertised guaranteed $50 trade in credit for SW BF2 stating they only give $35 credit for it now.

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2195 posts
240 upvotes
Ajax
Well good then. F EA. Maybe they will now listen to the consumer. I'm sure the phone calls from Disney/Lucasfilm are not going well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
Their chief financial guy just re-iterated today that they are committed to putting microtransactions back in at some point and gave a bunch of lip service about listening to gamers, yadda yadda.
May 9, 2007
846 posts
223 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:09 am
EA's stock has lost $3 Billion in value since the release of Star Wars Battlefront II due to negative backlash.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-has ... nt-2.8550/
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/eas-day ... ter%7Cmain

Videogame Dunkey reviews Star Wars Battlefront 2 Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EB Games also welched on their advertised guaranteed $50 trade in credit for SW BF2 stating they only give $35 credit for it now.
Good **** EA those greedy bastards. They ruined Mass Effect, NFS and now Star Wars! How do you make a Star Wars game that's unprofitable? The game practically sells itself. Meanwhile Take-Two Interactive and Activision Blizzard's stock went up 5% in that time frame lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:09 am
Damn... YMMV. My friend took his in this morning and managed to get $50 when he pointed out that they had it advertised in an in-store flyer. Another managed to get $50 yesterday afternoon.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:33 pm
Good **** EA those greedy bastards. They ruined Mass Effect, NFS and now Star Wars!
Don't forget about Command & Conquer and Dead space. Skate and UFC as well which makes me mad salty so so I try not to think about it
May 9, 2007
846 posts
223 upvotes
Oh don't worry, I was just talking about recently. EA's wake of destruction goes back a long ways.

I highly recommend anyone even remotely interested in videogames watch the following video. It's worth every second and explains why we find the gaming industry where it is today. Take aways are that EA makes most of their money from microtransactions, more specifically the Ultimate Team which made them almost a billion dollars last year. If legislation ever finds what EA is doing as predatory and illegal, they are in for a world of hurt as their stock price is overvalued as it is. Cost of developing games reaching astronomical proportions is a lie. EA's development costs are less than in the past.

EA told Amy Hennig (creative writer behind Uncharted series and the recent cancelled Star Wars game),"Fifa made us $800 million dollars in microtransations last year, how about you?" Keeping in mind that the game was supposed to be a linear story driven game. EA's response was to close down the studio.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
Well it was a shame for sure but I'm not sure what else she expected. EA has that reputation and there was plenty of precedent for her to consider before making the jump there.

Too bad she couldn't work it out with the others at Naughty Dog, they were a great team.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4948 posts
1764 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:06 pm
Damn... YMMV. My friend took his in this morning and managed to get $50 when he pointed out that they had it advertised in an in-store flyer. Another managed to get $50 yesterday afternoon.
I finally had time to go to EBG yesterday and BF2 is only $25 now. Face With Tears Of Joy

Just checked BB and it's $35. Guess where I'm going tomorrow?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:22 am
I finally had time to go to EBG yesterday and BF2 is only $25 now. Face With Tears Of Joy

The $50 deal is only within 2 weeks of release, and since it was released over 2 weeks ago, $50 shouldn't have applied anyway..
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4832 posts
648 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:22 am

You are not going to wait for the DLC that finishs the story?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4948 posts
1764 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:00 am
No time to play it...I'm going to be trading in AC:O as well (also $35 @ BB).

I have a problem with pre-ordering all these games because they are a good deal and thinking I'll have time to play them... Disappointed But Relieved Face

I've been playing CoD mostly, a bit of Super Lucky's Tale and MLB:The Show.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4832 posts
648 upvotes
calgary
9394 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:11 am
No time to play it...I'm going to be trading in AC:O as well (also $35 @ BB).

I have a problem with pre-ordering all these games because they are a good deal and thinking I'll have time to play them... Disappointed But Relieved Face

I've been playing CoD mostly, a bit of Super Lucky's Tale and MLB:The Show.
Ahh yeah, I learned that lesson years ago back when games were 60$ and Future Shop was offering B2G1 Free and I'd just pre-order anything I had a passing interest in.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:00 am
Without spoiling anything, I think it's a big red herring that they want you to think it has a connection with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.... but I bet it turns out far from that and it's actually a more disappointing reveal.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4832 posts
648 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:25 am
Without spoiling anything, I think it's a big red herring that they want you to think it has a connection with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.... but I bet it turns out far from that and it's actually a more disappointing reveal.
Yeah I think your probably right, I actually really enjoyed the first three missions included in the trial version. I thought the new character/side story was really cool and the gameplay was average in a battlefield kind of way but elevated by the setting, graphics and sound design.

I heard it drops off considerably after that though.