Shopping Discussion

[Heads up] CT return policy

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2079 posts
624 upvotes

[Heads up] CT return policy

More of a heads up for everyone. CT has a pretty tight return policy that I had to deal with today.

-Bought 2 humidifiers on Dec. 15th evening, one is a personal sized one and another one is for a medium sized room. Never had one before so bought 2 to see which one fit my needs.
-Decided the personal sized one was too small and didn't make much of a difference.
-Headed to the store on Dec. 17th morning to return it. Associate refused the refund because the item was opened.
-I explained to the associate that the product did not meet my need, and the only way to determine that was by opening it. How else was I supposed to judge a product without opening the box?
-Manager came over, explained the policy is due to the fact that a lot of people are taking advantage of the return policy and using it as a "rental" policy.
-I understand, but this clearly isn't the case. I brought the product back within 48 hours and I bought 2 very similar products clearly for comparison purposes. If I wanted to "rent" one I would have bought it back after the dry winter season.
-I tried my luck at another store and got my money back with no hassle. The associate at the other store clearly was not happy to be at work and couldn't care less.

So just a heads up for everyone, if you plan to return something at CT, make sure you can re-seal the package properly, or at least make it seem like it was unopened.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
4518 posts
4208 upvotes
Before buying the product, you can ask the associate for the item return/exchange policy, he or she will scan the item that will display return/exchange information. Take a picture of that screen. If any problem arises, file chargeback with your credit card company and you have the proof. These corporations need to be taught a lesson, even if you are renting, it's not their business. If return policy states 30 days, that means you have 30 days of rental.
Banned
Jun 14, 2007
1674 posts
409 upvotes
I stop shopping at Cobourg ON CT few years ago... as they have s...t customer service and do not honor Mastercraft warranty...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21377 posts
2188 upvotes
CT is all owned by franchisees, most of whom are terrible. If you have an issue at one just go to another.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
:facepalm:
i completely agree with the store. open item is "used" item. unless there's a defect they shouldnt accept a return. you should do your research before you buy. you are part of the reason theres such a hassle returning items.
the nerve of people.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2079 posts
624 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: :facepalm:
i completely agree with the store. open item is "used" item. unless there's a defect they shouldnt accept a return. you should do your research before you buy. you are part of the reason theres such a hassle returning items.
the nerve of people.
so please enlighten me how should I, or consumers, effectively compare the merit between two different products? Are we all rich enough to pick up one of every model and be stuck with it if it doesn't fit our needs?
Sr. Member
Oct 16, 2007
680 posts
88 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote: These corporations need to be taught a lesson, even if you are renting, it's not their business. If return policy states 30 days, that means you have 30 days of rental.
Uh, yes, it's their business because this knowledge gives them discretion on whether or not they should return the item. There's a big difference between returning a NIB item after 30 days and an item that has been (heavily) used after 30 days.

If people want to test before committing they should buy from a brand that offers that grace period. I know Black and Decker has a no questions return policy on their products, and most store brands do too.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1180 posts
85 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: :facepalm:
i completely agree with the store. open item is "used" item. unless there's a defect they shouldnt accept a return. you should do your research before you buy. you are part of the reason theres such a hassle returning items.
the nerve of people.
CT certainly has the right to have this policy, but it does actively drive me to purchase items from WalMart/Costco/Lowe's/HomeDepot/NAPA/etc instead if I'm at all unsure about the quality or usefulness of the item. Some items simply have few or no reviews and you can't know if they're crap or not without opening the box.

I'm NOT talking about "renting" an item or abusing policy, just honest "wow this thing is useless" situations. I actually rarely return anything that's been opened.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
CT is pretty clear on its return policy:

"Returns Policy

Unopened items, with a receipt, in original packaging and returned within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment** or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1971 upvotes
malecoke wrote: so please enlighten me how should I, or consumers, effectively compare the merit between two different products? Are we all rich enough to pick up one of every model and be stuck with it if it doesn't fit our needs?
Try this at your local car dealership and see what they say

What do you expect them to do now with that opened and used product? Eat the loss and sell for a discount because it doesn't meet YOUR needs?
Nobody wants to pay full price for an opened/returned item.
What's stopping you from rebuying that item if they do discount?

Your shopping/"trying out the item" logic is ludicrous
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1033 posts
1006 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Red_Army wrote: Try this at your local car dealership and see what they say

What do you expect them to do now with that opened and used product? Eat the loss and sell for a discount because it doesn't meet YOUR needs?
Nobody wants to pay full price for an opened/returned item.
What's stopping you from rebuying that item if they do discount?

Your shopping/"trying out the item" logic is ludicrous
Though I agree with you, it is also their fault to write "Return Guaranteed" and it's their responsibility to own up to that claim or else you shouldn't write that down at all..

But to add on to your point, people don't realize how hard it is for business (especially small businesses) because of people abusing the "Return" system. As mentioned, the product will now be sold as "Refurbish/Open Box" because you couldn't do your research online? or go to a physical store to see which one you wanted more? Now the product is sold at least 20% less than the original price because of your self-entitlement...
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
It isn't even a case of doing research online. How about just reading the side of the packaging the humidifiers came in? All the features are usually there, from suggested room size, run time, tank fill size, size of the actual unit, control panel features, colour. Why would you need to open the box to see which one you need? Why couldn't you compare the two in the store and make a decision before you even purchased it?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
12017 posts
6885 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
That's why I shop on Amazon.ca, no hassle returns.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Top