• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1975 upvotes
wartune123 wrote: Though I agree with you, it is also their fault to write "Return Guaranteed" and it's their responsibility to own up to that claim or else you shouldn't write that down at all..
who states this? Canadian Tire sure doesnt
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4693 posts
1252 upvotes
GTEH!
Nothing new. It's YMMV on returning items to CT. How else is the OP to try the product without opening it? Unless he's Superman with X-ray vision............... :razz:
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
you obviously bought both with the intention of trying them and returning one or both. Did you inform them you would be doing this when you pruchased them, and did you inquire as to whether or not they would accept a return in this case? i didnt think so
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1776 posts
272 upvotes
I used to shop at CT quite frequently until I had an issue trying to exchange a power tool that never powered up. It was clearly defective out of the box and I had to argue with the manager just to get it exchanged! I didn't want a refund - I just wanted one that worked. He claimed the problem was that I opened the box!! How the hell am I to know the item is defective unless I unbox it and try it? Absolute nonsense!

At any rate, I corrected any potential future return/exchange issues at Canadian Tire by spending my money at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Costco, or Amazon instead. Haven't looked back since.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3276 posts
2040 upvotes
GTA
cbr663 wrote: It isn't even a case of doing research online. How about just reading the side of the packaging the humidifiers came in? All the features are usually there, from suggested room size, run time, tank fill size, size of the actual unit, control panel features, colour. Why would you need to open the box to see which one you need? Why couldn't you compare the two in the store and make a decision before you even purchased it?
Thanks for very helpful comment. How long have you been with Canadian Tire?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: That's why I shop on Amazon.ca, no hassle returns.
Easy returns but you would have to pay for return shipping in this case wouldn't you?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1776 posts
272 upvotes
Nope. They pay for return shipping. They actually email you a pre-paid shipping label.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2068 posts
359 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
malecoke wrote: So just a heads up for everyone, if you plan to return something at CT, make sure you can re-seal the package properly, or at least make it seem like it was unopened.
Really, so that some other person buys your used crap. Nice, how would you feel if you bought something got it home and found it was used. I bet you would go running to the store and screaming at the employees. People like you are the reason stores have to tighten their return policies.

I bought a Keurig at Canadian Tire a couple of years ago, got it home and it was used, the machine was still full of water had coffee drips all over it and the box of sample k-cups that was supposed to be included was missing. I brought it back within 25 minutes of buying it and got a huge hassle trying to return it. Would you have liked that because some degenerate jerk 'make it seem like it was unopened" They took it back when I pointed out what the time was on the receipt, what time it was right then while I was standing in the store, and how on earth could I have driven home brewed an entire box of coffee and driven back. According to your logic I should get stuck with the machine you brought back 'because it didn't suit your needs'.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12045 posts
6946 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
No, once you return it. You click on return and print out a pre-paid slip for Canada Post.
redgrandam wrote: Easy returns but you would have to pay for return shipping in this case wouldn't you?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12045 posts
6946 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
CT should inspect all returns carefully and marked them as OPENED BOX or RETURNED item and mark it down by 10% or something like that.
JACKIE26 wrote: Really, so that some other person buys your used crap. Nice, how would you feel if you bought something got it home and found it was used. I bet you would go running to the store and screaming at the employees. People like you are the reason stores have to tighten their return policies.

I bought a Keurig at Canadian Tire a couple of years ago, got it home and it was used, the machine was still full of water had coffee drips all over it and the box of sample k-cups that was supposed to be included was missing. I brought it back within 25 minutes of buying it and got a huge hassle trying to return it. Would you have liked that because some degenerate jerk 'make it seem like it was unopened" They took it back when I pointed out what the time was on the receipt, what time it was right then while I was standing in the store, and how on earth could I have driven home brewed an entire box of coffee and driven back. According to your logic I should get stuck with the machine you brought back 'because it didn't suit your needs'.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12180 posts
5982 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: No, once you return it. You click on return and print out a pre-paid slip for Canada Post.
which they charge you for unless the item they shipped you was wrong or defective (then it's free).
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12180 posts
5982 upvotes
Toronto
cbr663 wrote: CT is pretty clear on its return policy:

"Returns Policy

Unopened items, with a receipt, in original packaging and returned within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment** or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange."
This

CT did nothing wrong here folks, move along.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
Red_Army wrote: What do you expect them to do now with that opened and used product? Eat the loss and sell for a discount because it doesn't meet YOUR needs?
Yes of course, because that is how they make money! The refund policy is designed to encourage people to buy on impulse, and to encourage people to buy their "risky" low end products.

I for sure wont buy any of any of their mastercrap tools if there isn't a policy for me to try them out. I buy them because I know half of them don't work as advertised, but if they works well enough I will keep them.

You have to understand stores like Canadian Tire relies mostly on impulse buying to sell their stuffs. If people are encouraged to think thru their purchases Cdn Tire would have closed its door long time ago.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: No, once you return it. You click on return and print out a pre-paid slip for Canada Post.
That's not what their return policy says though
You may return any of the following items to Amazon.ca, for any reason, for a full refund (we'll also refund the return shipping cost, if the return is a result of our error or if the item qualifies for Free Returns) within 30 days of delivery of your shipment (including gifts)
Please note that we cannot accept the return of opened items, some health and personal care items, grocery items, or items returned more than 30 days past delivery
I've only returned a defective item, and it was no hassle and free. But if I did as OP, and purchased both, and opened and used both, it wouldn't be returnable to Amazon. According to official policy anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
591 upvotes
SW Ontario
csi123 wrote: Yes of course, because they is how they make money! The refund policy is designed to encourage people to buy on impulse, and to encourage people to buy their "risky" low end products.

I for sure wont buy any of any of their mastercrap tools if there isn't a policy for me to try them out. I buy them because I know half of them don't work as advertised, but if they works well enough I will keep them.

You have to understand stores like Canadian Tire relies mostly on impulse buying to sell their stuffs. If people are encouraged to think thru their purchases Cdn Tire would have closed its door long time ago.

It's different once the item is open and used. If the item is merely opened then they would just take it back and resell it as new in most cases (at CT at least)