• Dec 20th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote: which they charge you for unless the item they shipped you was wrong or defective (then it's free).
Strictly speaking yes. In reality I never heard of them applying the restocking fee.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12017 posts
6885 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hmm, well...I've shipped back over dozens of items on Amazon.ca for free.
redgrandam wrote: That's not what their return policy says though

I've only returned a defective item, and it was no hassle and free. But if I did as OP, and purchased both, and opened and used both, it wouldn't be returnable to Amazon. According to official policy anyways.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
redgrandam wrote: It's different once the item is open and used. If the item is merely opened then they would just take it back and resell it as new in most cases (at CT at least)
Yes of course. If the item can't be sold then they just happily eat the loss, knowing fully that overall they are making much more money than if they don't accept such returns.

Seriously I saw people return window tint that has been applied. The thing was basically pieces of crumbled up plastic stuck together. The cashier didn't even take a second look. But what's the alternative? If there isn't such a policy how many window tint package you think they will be able to sell?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12017 posts
6885 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I've returned tents (used), found it too small. Returned it within 30days and paid nothing. After a few weeks, the tent was put up as Used. Guess I was lucky with all my returns.
redgrandam wrote: That's not what their return policy says though

I've only returned a defective item, and it was no hassle and free. But if I did as OP, and purchased both, and opened and used both, it wouldn't be returnable to Amazon. According to official policy anyways.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: Thanks for very helpful comment. How long have you been with Canadian Tire?
I don't now nor have I ever been with Canadian Tire. I have though recently bought a humidifier so I am aware of how they are packaged and marketed.

Your sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, BTW, has been noted.
Jan 3, 2015
123 posts
74 upvotes
Delta, BC
I purchased a Simoniz pressure washer from CT and took about a week before I tried it out. I didn't think it was as good as my Karcher that I dropped off the balcony, so I returned it. Clerk said it was just past the (7 or 14 day return period, can't recall) but the manager who was there ok'ed it anyway. Will probably never buy a major item from CT because of this (other than frying pans). Will also never use CT auto service but that is another story.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8026 posts
2326 upvotes
malecoke wrote: More of a heads up for everyone. CT has a pretty tight return policy that I had to deal with today.

-Bought 2 humidifiers on Dec. 15th evening, one is a personal sized one and another one is for a medium sized room. Never had one before so bought 2 to see which one fit my needs.
-Decided the personal sized one was too small and didn't make much of a difference.
-Headed to the store on Dec. 17th morning to return it. Associate refused the refund because the item was opened.
-I explained to the associate that the product did not meet my need, and the only way to determine that was by opening it. How else was I supposed to judge a product without opening the box?
-Manager came over, explained the policy is due to the fact that a lot of people are taking advantage of the return policy and using it as a "rental" policy.
-I understand, but this clearly isn't the case. I brought the product back within 48 hours and I bought 2 very similar products clearly for comparison purposes. If I wanted to "rent" one I would have bought it back after the dry winter season.
-I tried my luck at another store and got my money back with no hassle. The associate at the other store clearly was not happy to be at work and couldn't care less.

So just a heads up for everyone, if you plan to return something at CT, make sure you can re-seal the package properly, or at least make it seem like it was unopened.
To save yourself the hassle ...in the future make sure you checkout reviews before buying. Amazon.ca and .com have a ton of reviews. Testing out a product by buying 2 is not a very good idea.

or dont shop at CT
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16225 posts
6371 upvotes
jetfire33 wrote: CT certainly has the right to have this policy, but it does actively drive me to purchase items from WalMart/Costco/Lowe's/HomeDepot/NAPA/etc instead if I'm at all unsure about the quality or usefulness of the item. Some items simply have few or no reviews and you can't know if they're crap or not without opening the box.

I'm NOT talking about "renting" an item or abusing policy, just honest "wow this thing is useless" situations. I actually rarely return anything that's been opened.
There is a difference between an item not performing as it claims and being useless. If an item is performing as it claims and you do not want it, it seems unreasonable to expect to return it.

Who will want to buy your returned item? Do you think the manufacturer will give them credit for a perfectly functioning item that someone borrowed for a couple days?

Who should take the loss? Someone clearly has to - so who do you think should? The manufacturer and store (which in turn drives up prices for all of us)? Or the customer who bought something they didn't really want but just wanted to try?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1180 posts
85 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: There is a difference between an item not performing as it claims and being useless. If an item is performing as it claims and you do not want it, it seems unreasonable to expect to return it.
If it performs fine and I just don't want it then no, I'm not going to return it. I'm talking about really shoddy products where no review(s) are available beforehand. The "I bought this and it was garbage, did not live up to its own claims" - technically every unit of that product does that, so your particular one isn't "faulty" compared to another unit... It's just a garbage product.
Who will want to buy your returned item? Do you think the manufacturer will give them credit for a perfectly functioning item that someone borrowed for a couple days?
I'd hope they send it back to the manufacturer. A guy I know who works for Costco says that's what they do, so I'd assume WalMart does similar. I mean, it's a laundry list of retailers who DO take these returns and a small list that don't. What do all the other retailers do?
Who should take the loss? Someone clearly has to - so who do you think should? The manufacturer and store (which in turn drives up prices for all of us)? Or the customer who bought something they didn't really want but just wanted to try?
The manufacturer should eat the cost of a garbage product. And improve said product going forward. Sell a good product.

Again, I'm not a "renter" or casually buy-n-trying stuff. This is an item that I want or need *and* intend to keep, based on the information on the box, what an employee says, and reviews. Should the product fail to meet its own promises, it should go back to the manufacturer who needs to either change their shoddy product or change the box to at least represent it accurately.

The last time this came up for me was this past summer. Where I live we can't have fire bowls or such that burn solid fuel (wood, etc) but we wanted a nice fire appliance for our backyard. Canadian Tire had a propane fire bowl I liked the look of, but the reviews were vague and not much more info was to be found online about this fire bowl. None of the CTs near me had it on display either (which is moot as they'd definitely never hook one up to a propane tank anyway). I liked the look and description of this fire bowl and the box showed a nice sized fire coming from it - just what we wanted.

WalMart also had a similar one but surprisingly it cost more and was slightly less powerful. Reviews were decent.

So what did I do?

I paid more and bought it at WalMart because I wasn't willing to risk getting the CT one, finding it sucked (crappy little flames, no warmth, etc) and being stuck with it due to their return policy. So I went with WalMart, knowing if it failed to live up to the picture on the box and positives in the reviews I could return it.

We ended up liking it just fine and we enjoyed it all summer and it's put away for next year.

That's what I said in my first post: that I acknowledge CT's policy and their right to have it. But it costs them sales from me sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
I think the main point here was that the op bought 2 different products with the intention of tying both of them out and returning one. This is wrong imo
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4090 posts
640 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
I shop exclusively at the Canadian Tire on Guelph Line in Burlington, EXCELLENT customer service and their staff is great too. Hard to find that consistency in any retail store really! You can tell the management there is really great, its a testament to how they treat their employees!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1180 posts
85 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: I think the main point here was that the op bought 2 different products with the intention of tying both of them out and returning one. This is wrong imo
I don't disagree with that, it's not what I'd do. That was more like sampling. My points in this thread were about a slightly different concern with CT's return policy, which is the inability to return a garbage quality or misrepresented product. Trevork was arguing with me that I'm wrong on that (and yes, he seemed to confuse me with the OP too). Thing is I can't remember ever returning an opened item to CT - I just said the lack of that safety net (being able to return a garbage or misrepresented product) is a deterrent to me buying anything I'm not sure of there.
x-batman wrote: I shop exclusively at the Canadian Tire on Guelph Line in Burlington, EXCELLENT customer service and their staff is great too. Hard to find that consistency in any retail store really! You can tell the management there is really great, its a testament to how they treat their employees!
Yeah, the inconsistency can be annoying. One CT near me keeps all their tools in giant locked cages I've never seen at any other CT. Makes it a pain to look at tools there as you can't touch the demo units or boxes.

My closer CT is much better and more like the one you describe, so they get most of my CT purchases.
May 5, 2009
75 posts
46 upvotes
Montreal
csi123 wrote: You have to understand stores like Canadian Tire relies mostly on impulse buying to sell their stuffs. If people are encouraged to think thru their purchases Cdn Tire would have closed its door long time ago.
Your logic doesn't quite work here. If Canadian Tire doesn't have a lax return policy, then people are encouraged to think through their purchases (or they'll find out quite soon that impulse buying won't work for them at Canadian Tire), and according to your logic they should be closed if people do so.

The retailer doesn't owe a consumer anything. If you don't like the product you will have to take it up with the manufacturer. How can people expect to get a full refund on a thing they bought two models of and tried to see which is better? SMH. Can you buy two Nissans and return the one you like less the following week?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2079 posts
624 upvotes
I can buy 2 shoes/jeans/shirts/watches/jackets/bags/wallets/purses/scarfs and even cellphones (under 30mins talk time) , compare them at home all day long and return one of them without hassel.
With cars, you have the opportunity to test drive them before you buy. With a sealed box of product, in this case a humidifier, was i supposed to plug it in at the store and try it before i leave?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5634 posts
1786 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Funny, I have always shopped at crappy tire because of their decent return policy. Never had a problem, they even refunded that horrible rca android media player highlighted in a thread a year or so ago, and others had the same experience. There must be something more to this story the op posted.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309