• Sep 15th, 2017 8:06 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa

Health Canada to Split Up?

".....Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government for announcing that the branch would be moved under the jurisdiction of a new minister and likely a new department ......"
"...Aug. 28 announcement that responsibility for First Nations health would be moved under the new minister of Indigenous services, Jane Philpott (Markham-Stouffville, Ont.), who will helm the new Indigenous Services Department...."

The most surprising thing is that "The branch makes up nearly three-quarters of Health Canada’s total budget and accounts for about one-quarter its workforce."
"It covers divisions related to health infrastructure and delivery that were to account this year for about $3.1-billion, or nearly three-quarters, of Health Canada’s total $4.3-billion budget."

3/4 of Health Canada total budget and 25% of the workforce goes to First Nations? Why are they having so much medical problems in the FN's if that much is being spent just by Health Canada??

http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/09/13/no- ... ent/118530
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4680 posts
420 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:07 pm
".....Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government for announcing that the branch would be moved under the jurisdiction of a new minister and likely a new department ......"
"...Aug. 28 announcement that responsibility for First Nations health would be moved under the new minister of Indigenous services, Jane Philpott (Markham-Stouffville, Ont.), who will helm the new Indigenous Services Department...."

The most surprising thing is that "The branch makes up nearly three-quarters of Health Canada’s total budget and accounts for about one-quarter its workforce."
"It covers divisions related to health infrastructure and delivery that were to account this year for about $3.1-billion, or nearly three-quarters, of Health Canada’s total $4.3-billion budget."

3/4 of Health Canada total budget and 25% of the workforce goes to First Nations? Why are they having so much medical problems in the FN's if that much is being spent just by Health Canada??

Likely because FN gets little or no provincial funding so instead of Ontario for example paying for a new hospital it becomes a federal responsibility...that's the likely reason
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:07 pm

really?
And I liked the line
unions blindsided
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
rb wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:53 pm
Likely because FN gets little or no provincial funding so instead of Ontario for example paying for a new hospital it becomes a federal responsibility...that's the likely reason
Well, sort of but not really. The Province picks up lots of the expenses for medical staffs and treatments.
https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2016/ ... -plan.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/first-na ... -1.4007404
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article ... ing-canada

I guess the thing that stunned me was that 3/4 of the Health Canada budget and 25% of the people that work there do so for First nations only. The rest of Canadians get 1/4 of the money and 75% of the personnel costs.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1796 posts
479 upvotes
Ontario
Yep a lot of money goes to fn that Canadians don't really think about. When you hear health Canada you think approval but that's small portion. They mostly subsidize fn health and fund the many programs for fn.

Cmhc also has a large budget for subsidizing fn housing.

Then theirs inac that focuses on fn. Billions of money spent each year and fn communities still in the crapper and don't want any government interference
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:07 pm
Yep a lot of money goes to fn that Canadians don't really think about. When you hear health Canada you think approval but that's small portion. They mostly subsidize fn health and fund the many programs for fn.

Cmhc also has a large budget for subsidizing fn housing.

Then theirs inac that focuses on fn. Billions of money spent each year and fn communities still in the crapper and don't want any government interference
Time to bring that to a halt.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15825 posts
471 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:49 pm
I guess the thing that stunned me was that 3/4 of the Health Canada budget and 25% of the people that work there do so for First nations only. The rest of Canadians get 1/4 of the money and 75% of the personnel costs.
Most healthcare spending in Canada is at the Provincial level.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
konfusion666 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:31 pm
Most healthcare spending in Canada is at the Provincial level.
The article is about Health Canada and what it spends on where.
Federal government Health Canada https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... anada.html
It serves all Canadian...well, it "help Canadians maintain and improve their health. While the provinces and territories are responsible for delivering healthcare to the majority of Canadians, the federal government also has a number of key roles and responsibilities in areas that affect health and healthcare."
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... anada.html

A 4.1Billion dollar budget of which 75% is spent on " representing 4.3% of the total Canadian population" http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011 ... 01-eng.cfm
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
171 posts
35 upvotes
First nations should be treated like any other Canadian, including having the right to pay taxes.
Justin Trudeau - bankrupting Canada since 2015. And M103 my ass.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:44 pm
First nations should be treated like any other Canadian, including having the right to pay taxes.
Why?
If people in Quebec can exists as a separate nation and flag and rules, taxes Then why not First Nations? Hardly anyone on RFD is from FN community.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:44 pm
couldn't disagree more.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1033 posts
126 upvotes
eldeejay wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:26 am
couldn't disagree more.
Cool you can pay their portions of tax out of your paycheck not ours. Thanks for being a great canadian !!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
eldeejay wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:26 am
couldn't disagree more.
And?
Why should they not be the same as all other Canadians? All Canadians work for and contribute to the society we call Canada. Why should the FN's not be pat of that?
Canada already, from the feds alone, spend way more on less than 5% of the population that the rest of Canadians and that less than 5% contributes, as I see it, nothing to the economy or betterment of Canada.
And please, don't start with "it is their land and we stole it". 400 years have passed. There has been plenty of time to acclimate. They stole land and enslaved other tribes as well. Don't bring up the residential school system, it was bad, no doubt but they learned things....enough things to be able to better themselves. Don't bring up "we owe them", we owe them nothing, they choose where they live and they have been given lots of land to do with what they want. If they choose to live off the land as their culture and ancestors demand, as they claim they want to do, let them.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:33 am
And?
Why should they not be the same as all other Canadians? All Canadians work for and contribute to the society we call Canada. Why should the FN's not be pat of that?
Canada already, from the feds alone, spend way more on less than 5% of the population that the rest of Canadians and that less than 5% contributes, as I see it, nothing to the economy or betterment of Canada.
And please, don't start with "it is their land and we stole it". 400 years have passed. There has been plenty of time to acclimate. They stole land and enslaved other tribes as well. Don't bring up the residential school system, it was bad, no doubt but they learned things....enough things to be able to better themselves. Don't bring up "we owe them", we owe them nothing, they choose where they live and they have been given lots of land to do with what they want. If they choose to live off the land as their culture and ancestors demand, as they claim they want to do, let them.
of course they should be held responsible, but they are FIRST nations. Their name says it all, I have no problem with a portion of my taxes going to help these people out. Its always funny, that second nations get jealous and try to blindside funding to the first nations. [..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 14th, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's too early for Godwin's law
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28254 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:50 am
of course they should be held responsible, but they are FIRST nations. Their name says it all, I have no problem with a portion of my taxes going to help these people out. Its always funny, that second nations get jealous and try to blindside funding to the first nations. [..][/b]
That is a load of baloney. Someone has to be first but then again, if you cannot maintain it by yourself, you give up the right.....you lose entitlement.
After 400 years, it is time to move on. Yes, I do't mnd if a "portion" goes to FN's but the proper portion, not 75% for the less than 5% that they are.

[..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 14th, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited