• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2017 11:16 am
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
434 posts
88 upvotes
GTA

Health Canada warning PureCare Herbal Cream

Not sure if any of you know or have used PureCare Herbal Cream for eczema on your kids or yourself, but Health Canada has finally posted the warning that this supposedly all-natural "herbal" cream contains a extremely potent class 1 prescription steroid clobetasol propionate. If you are or know anyone using this, please stop using it and see your doctor.

Health Canada Warning

City News video coverage

Most of the mainstream media and even Chinese media has already covered the last couple of days.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23028 posts
980 upvotes
Markham, ON
...angry.

i hate facebook (you'll know what I mean if you've been scammed on this cream)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
For a product that advertises itself as "Pure" and "Healthy" it's pretty scary there was clobetasol in it.

I bet people who used the cream probably thought the eczema went away magically due to the natural ingredients! Ha.
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
434 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
coolspot wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 3:51 pm
For a product that advertises itself as "Pure" and "Healthy" it's pretty scary there was clobetasol in it.

I bet people who used the cream probably thought the eczema went away magically due to the natural ingredients! Ha.
Yes, it's pretty scary. I'm lucky my kids did not suffer from eczema. I think if you are a parent of an eczema sufferer, you will believe other mom's word of mouth and recommendations when you are seeing your kids suffering. But I agree, if it's too good to be true, you have to be cautious.

At least hundreds of parents have used this worldwide and some even on daily basis as an overall moisturizer! Many are suffering what seems to be steroid withdrawal effects after stopping usage. Some are getting tested for cortisol level blood test. It's quite tragic.

The most maddening part is police and government will do so little for all these victims. All Health Canada requires is that this company stop selling this product! Apparently it is also not a criminal matter to sell creams containing a prescription steroid with no labelling!

The only thing that may be possible is class action suit but it's a tough road ahead.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23028 posts
980 upvotes
Markham, ON
fenomenon wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:16 pm
Yes, it's pretty scary. I'm lucky my kids did not suffer from eczema. I think if you are a parent of an eczema sufferer, you will believe other mom's word of mouth and recommendations when you are seeing your kids suffering. But I agree, if it's too good to be true, you have to be cautious.

At least hundreds of parents have used this worldwide and some even on daily basis as an overall moisturizer! Many are suffering what seems to be steroid withdrawal effects after stopping usage. Some are getting tested for cortisol level blood test. It's quite tragic.

The most maddening part is police and government will do so little for all these victims. All Health Canada requires is that this company stop selling this product! Apparently it is also not a criminal matter to sell creams containing a prescription steroid with no labelling!

The only thing that may be possible is class action suit but it's a tough road ahead.
facebook group for moms...too angry right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2230 posts
783 upvotes
This is why people should be Leary of anything claiming to be "healthy" or "all natural". Unless you have a list of every single ingredient you don't know. And natural does not mean safe. Many natural things are actually very toxic.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
Momof3cuties wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 5:09 pm
This is why people should be Leary of anything claiming to be "healthy" or "all natural". Unless you have a list of every single ingredient you don't know. And natural does not mean safe. Many natural things are actually very toxic.
Anthrax is naturally occurring, must be healthy.
Nov 25, 2016
7 posts
2 upvotes
Anthrax may be natural, but it wasn't listed in the ingredients list. We were just looking for a daily moisturizer that worked for our son (infant son...my heart breaks even more whenever i think about that). 100% natural wasn't a big factor for us - it was the fact that I knew the ingredients (and was comfortable with them) and more importantly, that it was steroid free.

We used it everywhere, applying the most on his face. I can't believe a refund is all they required - what message does that give? Give back the money and it's like it never happened!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2230 posts
783 upvotes
Mikaelali wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 2:23 pm
Anthrax may be natural, but it wasn't listed in the ingredients list. We were just looking for a daily moisturizer that worked for our son (infant son...my heart breaks even more whenever i think about that). 100% natural wasn't a big factor for us - it was the fact that I knew the ingredients (and was comfortable with them) and more importantly, that it was steroid free.

We used it everywhere, applying the most on his face. I can't believe a refund is all they required - what message does that give? Give back the money and it's like it never happened!
The key here is you thought you knew all the ingredients. I don't believe company's are obligated to list all ingredients in creams etc.
Sep 20, 2008
800 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
It all started in a secret FB group called Mom's concerned about Pure Care a few months ago. I PM'd an admin to get me in, as I was curious too. One mother in HK was skeptical about how "natural" the product really was and took it to a lab in HK. The lab tested positive for clobetasol. But PureCare played it off saying the report was all fake. But in the interim, shut down their website (suspicious much?). Some mothers went ahead and contacted Health Care Canada. It wasn't until last week where one of the mothers received a response and said that clobetsol was tested positive. The amount of it was still being tested. An uproar in the group erupted (don't F with mothers!). There are currently more than 240 pissed off mothers that are ready to take a class action lawsuit. Only issue is the person who was selling it, Jaspal Erskine, is a small time business owner and suing her won't amount to much. Currently, no lawyers want to pick up the case as, 1) won't get much out of a small time business, 2) no hard evidence of adverse affects on babies. Any other suggestions RFD?

Mother's were lathering this cream on their babies. Of course, it did the trick, but stopping only brought back the eczema and then some. This is what I've read about clobetasol. It's a highly potent steroid. 600x's more potent then most topical steroid creams. It should be monitored by a professional dermatologist, even then so it's rarely recommended. The side affects result in stunted growth of babies. This is hard to notice right now, but we're all hoping there is no adverse affects.
Apr 12, 2017
1 posts
@Faemow is the fb group still active? I was using this cream on myself and occasionally my my son. It would be great to find a forum to discuss what others are doing. Very upset about the situation and the lack of info. If you know of any groups, please let me know. I couldn't find the one you mentioned in this thread. Thanks!
[OP]
Jun 26, 2007
434 posts
88 upvotes
GTA
Circlesquare wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 1:47 am
@Faemow is the fb group still active? I was using this cream on myself and occasionally my my son. It would be great to find a forum to discuss what others are doing. Very upset about the situation and the lack of info. If you know of any groups, please let me know. I couldn't find the one you mentioned in this thread. Thanks!
I've PM you the group info.
Apr 15, 2017
1 posts
@fenomenon could you send me the fb group details as well?
I was using the cream on my face as a moisturizer. I have since stopped using the cream and have developed a painful and itchy rash :( I am interested to know how others are dealing with this.

Thanks
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel