• Oct 27th, 2016 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2380 posts
102 upvotes
Burlington

Health Insurance for self emplyed

When I stopped going to school to run the family business I lost my health coverage. I've gone quite a few years now without it but I figure it may be a good time to figure that out.

I don't often get sick or require doctors attention/medication but god forbid something happens I'd rather not leave the family with some bill to cover. What have you guys used or would you recommend? Ideally it includes some level of dental since paying for yearly check ups is annoying when it costs $100+ for some fluoride and floss :confused: . I have a few cavities too that likely over time will need to get looked at so I'd prefer to not pay straight out of my pocket.

I skimmed the bluecross health plans and was quoted somewhere in $65.00 monthly for basic coverage and hospital benefits. But I'm not sure what other options are out there that are good.
79 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1317 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
A number of people on the forum recommended www.brockhealth.ca to me and so far it has been great. They are a small company and seem to do a really good job.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes
Does anyone know of a provider or coverage for someone who is employed by a company, but the company doesn't have a health insurance plan?
Nov 22, 2005
451 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
This is what I use: http://www.costplus.ca/

It's basically like a flex spending account, except that you administer it and there are no limits. The basic idea is that you send Cost Plus your health receipts (dental, drug, etc) and a cheque for that amount from your business account, and they send you back a personal check of that same amount. Cost Plus makes their money by charging an 8% "administration fee".

The end result is that you get money out of your business account into your own bank account for an 8% fee (as opposed to paying it out at your regular tax rate). You are using pre-tax dollars to pay for your health costs.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5021 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
weebg wrote:
May 2nd, 2011 4:08 pm
This is what I use: http://www.costplus.ca/

It's basically like a flex spending account, except that you administer it and there are no limits. The basic idea is that you send Cost Plus your health receipts (dental, drug, etc) and a cheque for that amount from your business account, and they send you back a personal check of that same amount. Cost Plus makes their money by charging an 8% "administration fee".

The end result is that you get money out of your business account into your own bank account for an 8% fee (as opposed to paying it out at your regular tax rate). You are using pre-tax dollars to pay for your health costs.

maybe you should look into switching to brock health? Same thing, except only 5% admin fee instead of 8%
Jun 4, 2006
86 posts
4 upvotes
Chatham
adeel wrote:
May 2nd, 2011 5:03 pm
maybe you should look into switching to brock health? Same thing, except only 5% admin fee instead of 8%

+1 for brock health
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1849 posts
243 upvotes
Calgary
Starkicker wrote:
Apr 29th, 2011 6:27 pm
Does anyone know of a provider or coverage for someone who is employed by a company, but the company doesn't have a health insurance plan?
Employees who do not have employer coverage only have one option; selecting one of the premium based insured plans from providers like Blue Cross, ManuLife etc.

Unfortunately, employees are not able to directly access tax-friendly plans (such as PHSP's and so on). Those benefits are only available to people who run businesses. I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating... Tax laws are written by business people for business people. Of course, the inference is you should start a sideline small business to start participating in some of those benefits... after all this is an entrepreneurship forum so you likely have at least some interest in it.
Jan 20, 2011
12 posts
Ive heard of Cost Plus Plans where your expenese become a business write off. Can remember a company name though.

Something like you have a $500 dental bill, you get and expense for $550 through the insurance company.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1849 posts
243 upvotes
Calgary
sksman wrote:
May 5th, 2011 1:36 pm
Ive heard of Cost Plus Plans where your expenese become a business write off. Can remember a company name though.

Something like you have a $500 dental bill, you get and expense for $550 through the insurance company.
Yes, that is what most of the respondents are talking about. They are called Private Health Services Plans or PHSP for short and Brock Health (www.brockhealth.ca) is one company that offers them. Every established small business should have one.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6992 posts
559 upvotes
Waterloo
Looking at http://www.brockhealth.ca right now and im quite amazed is it true that you do not pay a monthly fee? just pay the 5% and $100.00 enrollment fee and thats all?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5021 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
sassysue wrote:
May 10th, 2011 9:36 pm
Looking at http://www.brockhealth.ca right now and im quite amazed is it true that you do not pay a monthly fee? just pay the 5% and $100.00 enrollment fee and thats all?

Yeah, seems like it.

Also, get your accountant to speak to them - they seem to offer a promotion to accountants whereby they will waive the startup fee for each customer lead they provide:

If you wish to provide a value added service to your clients, Brock Health Administration will reduce the $100 enrolment fee charged to your referred clients. Contact us now to make immediate arrangements, for offering this service to your clients.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6992 posts
559 upvotes
Waterloo
adeel wrote:
May 10th, 2011 9:58 pm
Yeah, seems like it.

Also, get your accountant to speak to them - they seem to offer a promotion to accountants whereby they will waive the startup fee for each customer lead they provide:

If you wish to provide a value added service to your clients, Brock Health Administration will reduce the $100 enrolment fee charged to your referred clients. Contact us now to make immediate arrangements, for offering this service to your clients.

dam such a great price :) gotta take advantage of this thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6992 posts
559 upvotes
Waterloo
i applied today if ur corp you get unlimited access if your sole properator there is limited to 1500 for everything!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4796 posts
848 upvotes
Thornhill
I don't understand...Blue Cross Dental + Health is like 180 bucks and they cover like 75%.
$100 Enrollment and they pretty much cover 95%?? No monthly payments?? How can they afford that?