• Aug 3rd, 2018 2:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space

Health sub section?

Just an idea, but a personal health section for discussions on medical, dental and optical related questions would be nice.

Edit: I noticed there’s one in fashion & apparel. Kind of a weird spot to put it.
16 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Doesn’t RFD think that health merits its own forum?

Wellness is mixed in with the completely unrelated topic of Beauty. Health may not contribute to appearance and many beauty products or procedures are not health promoting.

Even less understandable, Wellness is buried as a sub-forum of Fashion and Apparel.

None of this has a sense of logic.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
MexiCanuck wrote: Doesn’t RFD think that health merits its own forum?

Wellness is mixed in with the completely unrelated topic of Beauty. Health may not contribute to appearance and many beauty products or procedures are not health promoting.

Even less understandable, Wellness is buried as a sub-forum of Fashion and Apparel.

None of this has a sense of logic.
Health is no doubt an important topic. Is it popular enough to get it's own forum though? That I'm not so sure about. I'm completely open to reworking the current forums (renaming, moving, un-subforuming, etc.) to create a better home for these discussions.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
Perhaps a re-org with new main forums:
Fashion & Beauty
Health & Wellness
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
MrDisco wrote: Perhaps a re-org with new main forums:
Fashion & Beauty
Health & Wellness
That makes sense to me.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I agree that both of those sub forums are in strange sub forum spots.

Just as long as the "Health & Wellness" forum is low maintenance moderation and posters police themselves most of the time. There will be ailing questions posted where the real answer is "go see a doctor". Overall the forums should be good.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Glad to see this change.
RFD Forums Moderator
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
The forums have been renamed. The Health and Beauty forum appears out of place in the list so I'm just waiting for that to get fixed.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
It took some gentle arm-twisting from the RFD community:

Location for Health Discussion
How come there's no " Health" forums on RFD for Health related discussions?
Locked: [Merged] Separate the SPORTS and FITNESS forums into their own forums - VOTE!
Why is there not a Healthcare forum?
Health Forum
Create a Health & Wellness forum, or change "Sports & Fitness" to "Sports & Health"
Health & Wellness subforum
etc.

====

Is there going to be any new or additional disclaimer, caveats, restrictions, warnings, liability issues, particular instructions, FAQ, etc. regarding posts on such Health & Wellness forum (f128) ? [on the Forum Rules or the ToS, for example]

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
aviador wrote: It took some gentle arm-twisting from the RFD community:

Is there going to be any new or additional disclaimer, caveats, restrictions, warnings, liability issues, particular instructions, FAQ, etc. regarding posts on such Health & Wellness forum (f128) ? [on the Forum Rules or the ToS, for example]
Besides the thread in 2014 I hadn't seen another one on this subject until now.

We're just going to play things by ear and see how it goes at first.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
Maybe what @Becks means is that the Health and Wellness forum (f128) is still named Beauty & Wellness (f128) in the forum jump menu. The forum URL address has a similar confusing naming (http :// forums .redflagdeals .com/ beauty-wellness-f128/ .

I understand that the drop down menu is meant just like a quick shortcut to the most popular forums (regardless of being forum or subforum) and that it must be kept flat just one level down. And it's great UI as it's. I'd add only a link to Expired Hot Deals to it somewhere.

I guess that when forums are renamed, merged or split, the changes introduced might require a lot of work from the development team.

---

There are a few naming discrepancies elsewhere regarding forum categories. IMO, the forum map is the most accurate representation (for navigation purposes) of the forums.

For example,

fashion and apparel f67 (URL, name on menu) vs. fashion and beauty (name of forum - title; name on forums map/index)

beauty wellness f128 (URL, name on menu) vs health & wellness (name of forum - title; name on forums map/index)

I guess these variable names (etc) are not hardcoded but require a lot of work for the developer team when forums are renamed, merged or split.
Images
  • Naming-discrepancy-fashion-apparel.JPG
  • Naming-discrepancy-forums-health-beauty-wellness.JPG
  • Naming-discrepancy-forums-health-beauty-wellness--forums-index.JPG

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
Someone pointed out that the hard coded top menu navigation was out of date so I've created a ticket to fix that. Not hard to do but it might take a couple of weeks.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Ok, thanks. I never use the jump menu at the bottom of the page, just the drop menu in the header bar.