Healthy instant noodles?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 1:33 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
537 posts
196 upvotes

Healthy instant noodles?

Looking to buy some simple instant noodles.

Nothing fancy with dried vegetables or meat. Just some plain chicken or spicy chicken noods.

I usually get Mr. Noodles, but they got bashed alot on RedFlagDeals, so I was wondering what my options are.

I've tried Thai Kitchen, but they are pretty expensive at 1.60$ a pack.

I know instant noodles aren't healthy but I wanted to know what the least un-healthiest are
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3423 posts
1407 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Depends on how unhealthy you believe high sodium intake is for you. There's a prisoner brand that may be the best (search for the instant noddle thread last posted in this month).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5743 posts
2439 upvotes
I tried the Walmart branded instant noodles, the noodles are about 25 cents + tax, same size as mr noodle. Tasted good, but more importantly isn't made in China it is made in USA. I don't think there is a brand out there that is healthy if you added the spice packet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6715 posts
3128 upvotes
Alberta
Mr Noodles suck and so does the Maggi brand. Buy the Nissin brand noodles. We buy them from RCSS or any other supermarket. We usually buy them for $0.68 or less. The Sesame flavour one is the best but comes in lots of other flavours.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9417 posts
1962 upvotes
Somewhere
You're not going to get healthy instant noodles. You can get some that are marginally healthier than others, though.

IMO, the best brand is Nissin.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4738 posts
2128 upvotes
Mississauga
"Instant noodles" and "healthy" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Back in the day I'd occasionally eat Mr. Noodle. At least then you can control how much "flavour packet" to add, so that'll control your sodium intake.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
537 posts
196 upvotes
badOne wrote: I tried the Walmart branded instant noodles, the noodles are about 25 cents + tax, same size as mr noodle. Tasted good, but more importantly isn't made in China it is made in USA. I don't think there is a brand out there that is healthy if you added the spice packet.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Mr Noodles suck and so does the Maggi brand. Buy the Nissin brand noodles. We buy them from RCSS or any other supermarket. We usually buy them for $0.68 or less. The Sesame flavour one is the best but comes in lots of other flavours.
iEyeCaptain wrote: You're not going to get healthy instant noodles. You can get some that are marginally healthier than others, though.

IMO, the best brand is Nissin.
I'm going to try out Nissin and the Walmart brand.

I'm trying to bulk anyways, so the sodium doesn't bother me too much.
This is going to help me avoid going to sleep for dinner.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9417 posts
1962 upvotes
Somewhere
But seriously though, go to bulk barn. Buy some nice beans. Toss them in there for a good, cheap source of protein.

Don't go exclusively on instant noodles, friendo.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11055 posts
1789 upvotes
Toronto
Even now, only after a night of pretty heavy drinking where I'm low on liquids, salts, electrolytes, will I eat the noodles and take all the salty goodness of instant noodles down (usually a spicy korean brand). But this is more like 1 very 2 months type thing.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1971 posts
669 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't think there's such a thing as healthy instant noodles - they're basically made of refined flour, oil, and salt with not a ton of variation there. Some rice noodles ones exist, but I'd argue they're even less healthy, and stuff like shirataki noodles (or calorie-free noodles) are ghastly. I'm supposed to eat a diet higher in salt than most, but instant noodles are empty calories for the most part until you add meat and veggies.

Having said that, I eat more of them than I should. For filthy cheap cups, the no name brand ones aren't bad (and go for ~$5.50 for 12). Nongshim makes some of the better tasting ones with their shin ramyun black sitting at the top if I feel like splurging.

If you're in Costco, however, I strongly recommend you stay far, far away from anything branded Noodle Time. I find Mr. Noodles fine in a pinch, but Noodle Time is horrific and I can't believe they've maintained a valuable spot at Costco for so many years. They're like eating soggy sponges.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26209 posts
4445 upvotes
Hamilton
iEyeCaptain wrote: But seriously though, go to bulk barn. Buy some nice beans. Toss them in there for a good, cheap source of protein.

Don't go exclusively on instant noodles, friendo.
Toss salad too
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9417 posts
1962 upvotes
Somewhere
yao416 wrote: Toss salad too
gotta make sure u eat ur veggies to have successful #2