• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2017 10:50 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2006
236 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga

heartburn drugs alternatives

seems like popular heartburn drugs has lot of side effects, news today shows Popular heartburn drugs could lead to kidney damage without warning: study, last year around same time the news was that heartburn drugs linked to dementia risk.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/heartburn ... -1.3449937
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/heartburn ... -1.3994789

this is scary stuff, I know some people who take these medications regularly to prevent heartburn. Anyone has any input to alternatives to these medications?
4 replies
Oct 6, 2015
208 posts
87 upvotes
I've had awesome results taking 2000mg daily of Vitamin C, chewables, to treat my heartburn/acid reflux. The theory being, Vitamin C improves gallbladder/biliary function (which I have been diagnosed, by way of HIDA scan, ERCP, and MRCP, as having problems), thus treating the direct cause of my heartburn/reflux issues. I also 'improved' the quality of oils that I consume. Cut margarine and shortening right out of my diet (I have to make all my own food now and rarely eat at restaurants if I can avoid it!), and minimized consumption of corn, 'vegetable', canola, and peanut oils. Replaced with butter/ghee, olive oil and coconut oils (and more recently, fish oil, to help me recover from a PRK procedure!).

So in a nutshell, one should get to the root cause of why one is having heartburn. Weight loss, proper diet and exercise are important. Smoking cessation as well (or being around second hand smoke!). Reduce your soda (pop/coke) intake if you drink more than a can a day. Unfortunately PPI's have been basically handed out like candy by the doctors, when, as the articles point out, they are serious medicine.

Having said that, another known side effect of PPI's is poor nutrient absorption, particularly calcium. I hated being on them, hence the drive to seek out lifestyle changes that would treat my problems. No gastroenterologist, GP, or surgeon (and I saw a few) ever gave me advice that would even begin to point me in the right direction. They all just tossed pills at me!
[OP]
May 9, 2006
236 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
WOW never thought of Vitamin C deficiency would cause a heartburn, thanks for sharing.
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:09 am
I've had awesome results taking 2000mg daily of Vitamin C, chewables, to treat my heartburn/acid reflux. The theory being, Vitamin C improves gallbladder/biliary function (which I have been diagnosed, by way of HIDA scan, ERCP, and MRCP, as having problems), thus treating the direct cause of my heartburn/reflux issues. I also 'improved' the quality of oils that I consume. Cut margarine and shortening right out of my diet (I have to make all my own food now and rarely eat at restaurants if I can avoid it!), and minimized consumption of corn, 'vegetable', canola, and peanut oils. Replaced with butter/ghee, olive oil and coconut oils (and more recently, fish oil, to help me recover from a PRK procedure!).

So in a nutshell, one should get to the root cause of why one is having heartburn. Weight loss, proper diet and exercise are important. Smoking cessation as well (or being around second hand smoke!). Reduce your soda (pop/coke) intake if you drink more than a can a day. Unfortunately PPI's have been basically handed out like candy by the doctors, when, as the articles point out, they are serious medicine.

Having said that, another known side effect of PPI's is poor nutrient absorption, particularly calcium. I hated being on them, hence the drive to seek out lifestyle changes that would treat my problems. No gastroenterologist, GP, or surgeon (and I saw a few) ever gave me advice that would even begin to point me in the right direction. They all just tossed pills at me!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6359 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
You may want to try drinking some organic apple cider vinegar mixed with water before meals as well.
Maybe try some digestive enzymes supplements as well.
Use ginger tea, candied etc for stomach and aloe vera juice or gel or fresh aloe.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel