Home & Garden

Heat N Glo - Gas Fireplace not working

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2013 8:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1528 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga

Heat N Glo - Gas Fireplace not working

Hey,

Just moved into a house that has a Heat N Glo fireplace installed.

Not sure of the model.

I see that the pilot light is lit up and very bright, however, when i turn the fireplace 'on' (the switch is at the bottom of the fireplace), the fireplace does not actually turn on....nothing happens.

When I open the cover underneath, it is very dusty, but I see an knob on the far right that says 'off' and 'on' and it can be turned. When I turn it to off or on....nothing happens.

I also see the pilot ignitor button in the middle .... when i press that, i see the pilot light getting bigger.

What could be the problem? How to diagnose?
9 replies
Member
Nov 30, 2009
396 posts
86 upvotes
Without seeing your fireplace; I would guess that the switch you are seeing may just be for the fireplace blower and there could be a wall mounted or remote thermostat somewhere else in the room controlling when the fireplace turns on/off.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 19, 2008
4582 posts
744 upvotes
Whitby
There is a dial that needs to be pointing to 'ON' that limits gas flow- just a guess but is it currently pointing to pilot?

Turn that dial to ON and then flip the light switch/thermostat kidavenger mentioned and the fireplace should light up. The first switch you mentioned at the bottom of the fireplace can be used to turn the fireplace on also to test....do put that switch back to the OFF position or you won't be able to use the room wall control.

The switch on the far right is for the fan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1528 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga
as far as i'm aware, there are no switches for the fireplace besides the very little on/off switch on the bottom left hand side of the fireplace....

i went home at lunch today and played around some more....

i turned the pilot switch to 'off' the pilot shut off...

i turned the switch to 'pilot' and ignited the pilot...worked fine...

i turned the switch to 'on' ...nothing happens...

i've been doing some other searching and there are 2 main parts

thermocouple - this is usually the part that needs to be replaced if the pilot does not stay on....this is not the case
thermopile - this is the thing under the logs that carrys the flame....people say this gets dirty and clogged, and could be cleaned, or just simply replaced...

any idea of the difficulty in all of this?
Newbie
Mar 1, 2008
10 posts
2 upvotes
I have a Heat N Glo which from time to time will not turn on by the switch mine happens to be on the wall with another switch at the bottom of the unit. Check the wiring connections as with the heating and cooling cycles the wiring connections under the unit become loose and will stop the unit from fully igniting. Turn the unit on and giggle the wires under the unit when you move the wiring not making the propper connection the unit should ignite.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1658 posts
545 upvotes
Kitchener
My guess would be spiders/ spider eggs in the gas orifice...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1528 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga
Some Updates:

Model number is 4000INS but I can't find a manual for it, nor do I see it on www.heatnglo.com

So I was playing around with the fireplace again, and I put the switch to on (the one at the bottom left), then I wiggled the 4 wires that are on the back of the switch and the fireplace lit up!

then I played around with the fan knob on the inside, and I turned the switch on and off....but then I tried to turn it on again...and nothing happened....

then today I went home at lunch again, flipped the switch....and nothing...

possibly need a new switch?

I'm assuming the main parts of the fireplace are fine, since i had it working last night....

any ideas why it is not working anymore...the 4 wires are perfectly connected as well...

(the pilot is still on, and i can take it off and ignite it immediately)
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
call a technician to service/tuneup the appliance.

its natural gas people, i understand this site is about being cheap and getting stuff for next to nothing but somethings are better left to professionals. it IS after all for your best interest not to mess around with it unless you don't value your safety...not like anyone has ever died from carbon monoxide or made something explode some how...
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
Newbie
Mar 1, 2008
10 posts
2 upvotes
pardnme wrote:
Oct 12th, 2010 4:04 pm
Some Updates:

Model number is 4000INS but I can't find a manual for it, nor do I see it on www.heatnglo.com

So I was playing around with the fireplace again, and I put the switch to on (the one at the bottom left), then I wiggled the 4 wires that are on the back of the switch and the fireplace lit up!

then I played around with the fan knob on the inside, and I turned the switch on and off....but then I tried to turn it on again...and nothing happened....

then today I went home at lunch again, flipped the switch....and nothing...

possibly need a new switch?

I'm assuming the main parts of the fireplace are fine, since i had it working last night....

any ideas why it is not working anymore...the 4 wires are perfectly connected as well...

(the pilot is still on, and i can take it off and ignite it immediately)



You may have a loose connection at the switch..With the fireplace off...try pulling off each connector to the switch one at a time sqeezing the connector slightly with a pair of pliers.
Then slide the wire back on to the terminal on the switch..
Newbie
Feb 1, 2013
1 posts
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! You were right, all that we had to do was turn the dial to "ON" and it worked!!!
× < >

Top