• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 9:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
793 posts
392 upvotes

Heat Pump or Gas Furnance?

Thinking about re-doing the HVAC in the house, going all out, have the budget set aside

SLP98V Variable-Capacity Gas Furnace
XC25 Variable-Capacity Air Conditioner
PureAir S Air Purification System
Humiditrol Whole-Home Dehumidification System or Healthy Climate Whole-Home Dehumidifier

Main Thermostat: iComfort S30 Ultra Smart Thermostat (Going to do multi zone, luckily the installers main building it literally at the end of the street).

Not a anti-lennox thread please ;) but I was also reading about heat pumps, someone had mentioned that they can be a viable option, but in Ontario how would they perform?
15 replies
Mar 22, 2017
245 posts
194 upvotes
Out of curiosity, why are you 'going all out'? Variable appliances often don't pay for themselves, given they have higher maintenance costs. Wouldn't you get better value from just insulating the heck out of your house?
Apr 6, 2008
889 posts
434 upvotes
Do you have natural gas service coming to the house? If so, go gas 100%. I have a very efficient heat pump in my house, and I like the environmental side of using electric heat, but I would still recommend a gas furnace and AC over a heat pump. I am in Ontario, and my heat pump works just fine, just gas is cheap and is great for heating.

If you don't have gas, or the service isn't run to the house, or cost several thousands to install, you'll have to do the math if it's worth it.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
793 posts
392 upvotes
grumble wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:35 am
Out of curiosity, why are you 'going all out'? Variable appliances often don't pay for themselves, given they have higher maintenance costs. Wouldn't you get better value from just insulating the heck out of your house?
On going cost is the least important factor to me, comfort is, humidity, I need to put an end to it is all, last summer there were nights i took off with the dogs and stayed in hotels at 300-600 a night just to get away from humidity, though the house said 20 degrees or 19, the humidity in the second or 3rd floor were just unbearable, basement suffered for a few days even, for this summer, I want to defeat humidity, so multi zoning and all that. The guy offered me an "all inclusive" support contract, even covers them coming in every x amount of months and replacing filters etc, so every three months and he's promising x amount per year, i wouldnt even have to pay for a filter, I like that, its worth it to me. So its not heat, the current heating is great, works well etc, its the summers and humidity that almost had me pulling my hair out. Cant stand it, house goes over 22 and I'm dying.
fusion2k2k wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:39 am
Do you have natural gas service coming to the house? If so, go gas 100%. I have a very efficient heat pump in my house, and I like the environmental side of using electric heat, but I would still recommend a gas furnace and AC over a heat pump. I am in Ontario, and my heat pump works just fine, just gas is cheap and is great for heating.

If you don't have gas, or the service isn't run to the house, or cost several thousands to install, you'll have to do the math if it's worth it.
Think you hit it, so the heat pump is all electric, yes I have gas (HA)

Heat pump does AC as well though and some people swear by it? others said it wasnt work great on super humid days
Apr 6, 2008
889 posts
434 upvotes
Techiedude wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 8:50 am
On going cost is the least important factor to me, comfort is, humidity, I need to put an end to it is all, last summer there were nights i took off with the dogs and stayed in hotels at 300-600 a night just to get away from humidity, though the house said 20 degrees or 19, the humidity in the second or 3rd floor were just unbearable, basement suffered for a few days even, for this summer, I want to defeat humidity, so multi zoning and all that. The guy offered me an "all inclusive" support contract, even covers them coming in every x amount of months and replacing filters etc, so every three months and he's promising x amount per year, i wouldnt even have to pay for a filter, I like that, its worth it to me. So its not heat, the current heating is great, works well etc, its the summers and humidity that almost had me pulling my hair out. Cant stand it, house goes over 22 and I'm dying.
Think you hit it, so the heat pump is all electric, yes I have gas (HA)

Heat pump does AC as well though and some people swear by it? others said it wasnt work great on super humid days
Do you current have an air conditioner? If so is it undersized? I'm same way with humidity. I don't need the air cranked in the summer at 19 degrees, but I do need it on to remove the humidity.

A properly sized and running AC should be able to remove as much humidity as needed without any issues. A heat pump is just an AC in reverse, it doesn't offer anything on the cooling side that a AC doesn't do.

I would just get a good AC and maybe a Ecobee thermostat with multiple room sensors. Unless your house is massive with dual furnaces/ACs I wouldn't bother zoning it.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
793 posts
392 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:00 am
Do you current have an air conditioner? If so is it undersized? I'm same way with humidity. I don't need the air cranked in the summer at 19 degrees, but I do need it on to remove the humidity.

A properly sized and running AC should be able to remove as much humidity as needed without any issues. A heat pump is just an AC in reverse, it doesn't offer anything on the cooling side that a AC doesn't do.

I would just get a good AC and maybe a Ecobee thermostat with multiple room sensors. Unless your house is massive with dual furnaces/ACs I wouldn't bother zoning it.
As I said maybe 12-15 days total this summer, the AC held up very well vs the old one but there were some days that as I said, thermo said 20, but i was walking around in just underwear sweating.........you could see the condensation build up on all windows

Its a 3 tonne......it literally ran almost 24/7, humidity on some days reached the high 80s, I want to keep it at a solid 30-40
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1406 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Hate to ask the obvious but is your house reasonably air tight? Eliminated the possibility of hot, humid air from the outside leaking in? Evaporator coils in the A/C clean? Duct and air returns open, setup up correctly?
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Oct 3, 2017
140 posts
85 upvotes
My newer AC runs 24/7 when its hot outside. Never seems to shut off. Dehumidifies a lot better than the unit it replaced.
Jan 19, 2013
316 posts
147 upvotes
Somethings way wrong if inside is 80% rh.
A/c not working properly/set up correctly or outdoor air infiltration into house.
And it’s normal for A/c to run 24/7 on hot hot day.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
793 posts
392 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:24 pm
Hate to ask the obvious but is your house reasonably air tight? Eliminated the possibility of hot, humid air from the outside leaking in? Evaporator coils in the A/C clean? Duct and air returns open, setup up correctly?
I don't know honestly, the place is over 10k sq ft so I'm guessing my lil 3tonne just isnt doing the job I have this company down the road and Im going to give them a shot at it, he said if issues continue, he will help make it better.
1chinaman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:10 pm
Somethings way wrong if inside is 80% rh.
A/c not working properly/set up correctly or outdoor air infiltration into house.
And it’s normal for A/c to run 24/7 on hot hot day.
I had the same thought honestly but at this point I just don't know, humidity was killing me, my wife and the pups, we did a number of hotel nights just to get away from it.

I've settled on the gas furnace and the ac unit, but thinking might need two of each
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6646 posts
2727 upvotes
Kootenays
Ontario is a big province. The climate in Windsor is very different from Kapuskasing. Without a location, it's impossible to tell how well a heat pump will work for you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5648 posts
1338 upvotes
Whitby
Mini splits are great dehumidifiers, you might consider just adding 2 upstairs for a lot cheaper than the all out plan. Get attic insulation checked also, saw an attic recently with ic rated pots with no insulation within a foot :rolleyes: and that insulation was only about R15. Thinking you have similar air leaks.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1406 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
10,000 s.f.? Have one of those farm mansions?
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
793 posts
392 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 12:17 pm
10,000 s.f.? Have one of those farm mansions?
No its new........just annoying :)
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1406 posts
501 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Techiedude wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:48 pm
No its new........just annoying :)
So are a lot of things like these somewhere/what close to me