Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2090 posts
779 upvotes
Quebec

Heating in winter

Ok so I have smart thermostats ( stelpro) and right now it’s about 17 degrees in the house so it’s kinda cold and we live in quebec.

What are the best settings tomconfirgure thenthermostats so the house is warm but doesn’t cost too much at the same time.

Should I aim for 22-24 during the day and lower at night?

Should I aim less when we are gone and more if we are home?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12296 posts
4109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's all based on your tolerances for the cold and whether you want to wear extra layers to be warm rather than heating the whole house. But even so, 17 degrees seems low... I set my Ecobee to 15 degrees on away mode just so I don't have to worry about pipe bursting in the winter time. There is really no "best setting..." it's based on your comfort level and how much money you want to save. Everyone will have different tolerances, and the hard part is if each person in the same household have vasely different tolerances. That would make things interesting...

And yes, you should generally let the smart thermostat set a lower temperature during winter and higher temperature during summer when you're not at home.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30495 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Assuming the house is empty during the weekday (work, school) I would set the thermostat like this

Monday - Friday

21 degrees - 17h00 - 23h00
18 degrees - 23h01 - 16h59

Saturday - Sunday

21 degrees - 07h00 - 23h00
18 degrees - 23h01 - 06h59

I fail to understand why people need a smart thermostat since you can program these temperatures into your thermostat
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Gee wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 12:32 am
Assuming the house is empty during the weekday (work, school) I would set the thermostat like this

Monday - Friday

21 degrees - 17h00 - 23h00
18 degrees - 23h01 - 16h59

Saturday - Sunday

21 degrees - 07h00 - 23h00
18 degrees - 23h01 - 06h59

I fail to understand why people need a smart thermostat since you can program these temperatures into your thermostat
When we are at home ... 19°C to 20°C ... 18°C overnight
When we are away ... 16.5°C
When we have visitors ... 21°C (22.5°C if there are children around)

As to the Smart Thermostat ... gives you the option to turn up the heat while you are on the road coming home from work ... we have a Nest 3rd Generation Smart Thermostat (deleted the entire programmed schedule) ... and I use the app when I'm about 30 minutes away from home to turn up the thermostat. Not every single day is the same schedule ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30495 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 10:39 pm
I use the app when I'm about 30 minutes away from home to turn up the thermostat. Not every single day is the same schedule ...
I return at different times each day too. Sometimes I am really late and don’t get back till after 21h00

I still use a schedule, the savings is negligible if I turn on the thermostat 30 minutes later than normal. I can’t be bothered to turn on the thermostat from my phone each and every single day as I prepare to leave the office

Set it, and forget it
Nov 17, 2014
767 posts
492 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:37 am
I return at different times each day too. Sometimes I am really late and don’t get back till after 21h00

I still use a schedule, the savings is negligible if I turn on the thermostat 30 minutes later than normal. I can’t be bothered to turn on the thermostat from my phone each and every single day as I prepare to leave the office

Set it, and forget it
Well the thing is there are a number options which is what makes the Nest great. You can do it like a current programmable thermostat, with the benefit of having individual days, my old thermostat was m-f, sat-sun. I have Monday's off so my schedule had to be overridden on Mondays.

In addition to that it can learn your schedule and adapt that way, it can sense when you're home or not and work that way, it can detect when your phone comes and goes and work that way, you can turn it up and down on the fly with the app

For me the app has been great. I run a pre-programmed schedule, like an old-school thermostat but with the benefit of individual days, and rely on the app to turn it up and down. Today we will be leaving so I will turn it down at home, if I forget I can use the app, and then turn it up when we leave to come home. As said though, that's just one of many options, you can choose whatever works for you. I imagine most peope just let it do its thing automatically.

All that said though I received the Nest as a Christmas gift, not sure I would shell out my own money for the convenience of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4265 posts
479 upvotes
Barrys Bay
It all depends on how well your house can keep heat.

Some just set at comfort level all day at 21/22 and leave it 24/7.
Many let it drop 4 degrees for nighttime 17/18 but as well there heat runs longer when daytime to bring back up heat as one long heat session vs small incremental usages.

I've played with our ecobee 3 lite, and running 21.5 seemed to be our comfort zone and 19.5 at night with 0.6C differential in heating, we had just as much usage on similar days with settings at 21 and 17 with a 0.8 heat differential. But where more comfortable in house.

So it all comes down to your comfort levels and how your house holds heat, and how much time the heating takes to bring back up to comfort levels.

Many who run from dumb thermostates to smart ones do not see major difference in usage.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30495 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Copper1212 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 6:58 am
In addition to that it can learn your schedule and adapt that way, it can sense when you're home or not and work that way, it can detect when your phone comes and goes and work that way, you can turn it up and down on the fly with the app
I have a smart thermostat and can do everything you described. Including Bluetooth cell phone detection. Like you, there are days when I work at home. But I still set it to the away temperature, It doesn’t make sense for me to heat an entire house for one person.

I just don’t need or have time to micro manage my thermostat
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
When I'm at home by myself ... I normally just leave the Nest at 16°C-17°C.

Doesn't bother me to put on my Eddie Bauer light fleece jacket.

About an hour before wife comes home from work, I just turn up the thermostat to about 19°C.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2722 posts
621 upvotes
Smart thermostats are awesome because you can stay under the covers and adjust the temperature with your phone lol
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1727 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
Setbacks are nice but your furnace running longer/harder to get back to set point = little savings
Honestly just set it to what you like and leave it, I only set it back when away on vacation 10C/50F (winter) 28C/83F (summer) & hot water tank to vacation mode.