• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 11:46 am
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
206 posts
54 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Heavy sliding door

My 20 yr old patio sliding door is heavy to open. To clarify it does not stick when opening but just requires a lot of force.

I’m not sure if replacing the rollers will do anything. Has anyone tried this or anything else with success?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8619 posts
1081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Was it always this heavy? If it was easier before you could try to spray some silicon on the rollers/track as that will likely help a bit.

However I would not waste money on rollers. If the door is 20 years old then its probably very energy insufficient. I would upgrade to a new Double Pane sliding door where it will keep things warmer and slide much better. You could even do Double Pane with thicker glass OR triple pane which will provide you with even more protection from the cold.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3010 posts
2049 upvotes
If it requires a lot of force to open, or to keep it rolling, but there isn't a lot of noise or roughness from the rollers, you need to clean the upper and lower track, and the door seal where the door closes.

If the rollers are dirty, you can remove the door by lifting it out of the track to get at them. Lay it down flat to clean the bottom rollers and spray in some lubricant. But these doors are very heavy - I have done it myself without assistance, but you have to be very very careful. Better to have at least two people. If you can't manage that, they generally have a small hole where you can spray in some lubricant from the end using a long thin tube.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4961 posts
1678 upvotes
Paris
I’d take it out and remove/clean/replace the rollers. Failing that, a new door is 1600-1800 installed for standard sizes and a lifetime warranty.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7873 posts
6279 upvotes
Oakville
Jerico wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:36 am
I’d take it out and remove/clean/replace the rollers. Failing that, a new door is 1600-1800 installed for standard sizes and a lifetime warranty.
+1 for cleaning and/or replacing the rollers. Sometimes the spring tensioners are can also be too tight, adding to the resistance. But I usually see that on screen doors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)