Apr 16, 2002
16556 posts
13475 upvotes
Toronto

Helicopter parenting - The coddling of the American Mind

Great TVO segment here with the author

https://www.tvo.org/video/programs/the- ... he-fragile

Home of the Anxious and the Fragile

Much of American society is in the grip of a culture of safetyism that prevents young people from learning how to contend with challenges, difficulties, and contradictions. The Agenda welcomes social psychologist Jonathan Haidt to discuss his book, "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure."
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2047 posts
530 upvotes
Woodbridge
Excited to watch this. Thanks for sharing!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3675 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
Looks interesting. I can recommend his earlier book The Righteous Mind. It literally changed the way I look at the world.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8229 posts
872 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 9:28 am
Great TVO segment here with the author

https://www.tvo.org/video/programs/the- ... he-fragile

Home of the Anxious and the Fragile

Much of American society is in the grip of a culture of safetyism that prevents young people from learning how to contend with challenges, difficulties, and contradictions. The Agenda welcomes social psychologist Jonathan Haidt to discuss his book, "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure."
Thanks. Will watch later. I thought it interesting how I think this parallels for adults as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2047 posts
530 upvotes
Woodbridge
He makes some very good points. Now we need actionable goals to address some of these problems.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1950 posts
692 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
All I can say is WOW. This explains a lot about society today and why so many younger people get offended. Even on this site I've been attacked for stating very simplistic and straight forward views. Thankfully the mods aren't as quick to react as university administrators are.
Diversity is Our Burden
Sep 30, 2008
890 posts
558 upvotes
Pickering
This was great and echoed so many of my own thoughts and opinions. Thanks for sharing OP!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10173 posts
1492 upvotes
Toronto
poleman wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 4:59 pm
All I can say is WOW. This explains a lot about society today and why so many younger people get offended. Even on this site I've been attacked for stating very simplistic and straight forward views. Thankfully the mods aren't as quick to react as university administrators are.
Yea way too sensitive. They're going to have a hard time in life by being so offended all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5011 posts
1318 upvotes
Aurora
Very good clip. In a perfect world, his words would simply be common sense and there would be nothing particularity incendiary about his views. Yet, this is not the case and contrary to how the world works now.

The video prompted me to find out who this guy is - psychologist Jonathan Haidt. It spurred me to get two of his books, The "Coddling of the American Mind" and "The Righteous Mind".

This should also be posted in Off Topic.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9030 posts
1162 upvotes
Toronto
As with every 'expert' out there, it all depends on the child.

Depends what type of personality he or she has. One size doesn't fit all.

And we are all easily offended due to many things. Multiculturalism, more politically correct attitudes, and over population (more cars on roads, competition).
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1612 posts
345 upvotes
Was expecting this to be a documentary - but quite an interesting segment nonetheless.

I find it especially interesting that they are tying this in with peanut allergy because though genetics can still have played a minor factor in that study, it's an obvious statistic difference. Using that as a reference adds more credibility to this argument.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)