Travel

Help with 1-way car rental San Francisco to Seattle in mid-Oct, 1-week?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 8:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6834 posts
1463 upvotes
Toronto

Help with 1-way car rental San Francisco to Seattle in mid-Oct, 1-week?

Trying to find good car rental rate for 1-week, one way from San Francisco to Seattle. The rates (Costcotravel, expedia, or directly with Avis, Budget, Hertz..) are all coming up quite high. Guess the 1-way drop-off fee is high.

Anyone know of a way to get the rate down? TIA.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1549 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
The one way charges are usually high.

I've been looking one way from San Francisco to LOs Angeles and the best deals was from Fox Rental.

I originally booked through Costco travels but that was several months ago at $900US for 10 days compared to $560 (including the $360 one way fee) with Fox while searching through Kayak.

If you find something better let me know as my trip is not till next month.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6834 posts
1463 upvotes
Toronto
I had found good rates from SFO to LAX with Avis. In the past had also got good rates from Budget. SFO to LAX is within the same state, so it's better.

SFO to SEA I haven't found something good yet.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5204 posts
1002 upvotes
Montreal
Very vague advice, but when you're searching, look at the rates for different pickup and drop-off locations. I did a one-way rental with Enterprise a few years ago from Charlottetown to Moncton. The cheapest rate was from airport to airport - no one-way fees at all. All other options were at least 30% more expensive.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1513 posts
804 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 3:30 pm
Very vague advice, but when you're searching, look at the rates for different pickup and drop-off locations. I did a one-way rental with Enterprise a few years ago from Charlottetown to Moncton. The cheapest rate was from airport to airport - no one-way fees at all. All other options were at least 30% more expensive.
This.

In many cases it can all be about WHERE you plan to pick up & drop off. Airports usually charge more per day rates (cause they can / volume) but they often are the best rate for drop offs.
Jan 3, 2013
322 posts
70 upvotes
Mississauga
If you haven't booked your flights yet, look at drop off fees for reverse direction if you are flexible with travel plans. Sometimes one-way fees are charged for dropping off in one of the directions but not the other.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2602 posts
273 upvotes
badass wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 8:57 am
The one way charges are usually high.

I've been looking one way from San Francisco to LOs Angeles and the best deals was from Fox Rental.

I originally booked through Costco travels but that was several months ago at $900US for 10 days compared to $560 (including the $360 one way fee) with Fox while searching through Kayak.

If you find something better let me know as my trip is not till next month.

Cheers!
Interesting! I guess the lesson is to scour all the sites!

I used costco travel and I got a 9 day one way from LAX to SFO for about $205 in January 2017! The price started at $284 but dropped twice before my trip so I just rebooked.