• Jul 11th, 2006 12:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1906 posts
201 upvotes

Help - Adobe Photoshop - How to "Lift off" an Image from a digital photo

Hi - I am trying to cut out or "lift off" an image from a digital photo of a girl with moose antlers on her head from the rest of the crowd.
I do not want a simple square cut/ copy/ paste, but rather the entire person with no other background/ side images. Is there an easier way than to trim/ trace the person's outline?? I thought there was a way to just select some of the green area and all of the green area would get copied to a new image file, then select the antlers, her arms and face, etc...

[IMG]http://www.2rentatent.com/birthday%20mo ... nooski.jpg[/IMG]

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and Photoshop CS2 v9.0 but I cannot seem to find out how to do it or what this tool/ procedure is called.
Any ideas??
Thanks.

PS - I also have MS Picture It v7.0but I don't think you can do this.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
4182 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Send me the pic (full rez) and i can do it for you right now. MSN: douglas.rl AT rogers DOT com
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
41 upvotes
Use the extract filter in Photoshop CS2. Trace around the edge of her with the brush tool, and then fill in the part you want with the paint bucket.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1098 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
you could use the magic wand too...you'll prolly have to add/subtract some selections tho
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1906 posts
201 upvotes
JimG wrote:Use the extract filter in Photoshop CS2. Trace around the edge of her with the brush tool, and then fill in the part you want with the paint bucket.
I tried this but it didn't work for me. I used the Highlight Brush to brush over the part I wanted but then I couldn't select OK to complete the editing ("OK" was greyed out).

What "trace" tool am I suppose to use?

Geez - I hate being a "backyard editor"!! I saw a promo video on Adobe PS before buying it and they made it seem so simple to do this! But I don't find this program very user friendly or intuative. I thought that in there would be simpler way to just lift images out of a larger image print...
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2002
1906 posts
201 upvotes
Silver Bullet wrote:Send me the pic (full rez) and i can do it for you right now. MSN: douglas.rl AT rogers DOT com
Hey Silver - Did you get my email with the pic??
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1726 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Use the Extract filter. If not, then trace it out with the Pen Tool.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
41 upvotes
Mepoor wrote:I tried this but it didn't work for me. I used the Highlight Brush to brush over the part I wanted but then I couldn't select OK to complete the editing ("OK" was greyed out).

What "trace" tool am I suppose to use?

Geez - I hate being a "backyard editor"!! I saw a promo video on Adobe PS before buying it and they made it seem so simple to do this! But I don't find this program very user friendly or intuative. I thought that in there would be simpler way to just lift images out of a larger image print...
You're using it wrong. Use the highlight too to trace the edges of the area you want to retain. Once you've sketched an enclosed area, use the fill tool to fill in the area you want to keep, then you'll be able to click OK. PS will search for edges in the highlighted area, so the smaller the brush you use, the better extraction you'll get. It takes less than a minute to do.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1440 posts
1 upvote
Photoshop is not smart enough (yet) to be able to cut out images like this well with little user intervention, you will need to either use extract filter (I think it sucks) or learn to use the lasso tool and (postive/neg selection methods).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)