• Jun 24th, 2006 11:19 am
Tags:
None
Jul 2, 2005
283 posts
11 upvotes

help!. banged my toe and nail's coming off

i banged my forth toe on a desk leg a week ago
it hard really much at first but after a while it felt a bit numb so i was fine with it
it turned black afterwards and now i feel that the whole nail is coming off (without any pain)...

what do you suggest i do...
take the nail off? (it will grow back right?)
leave it on there..? its half way coming loose
Share:
17 replies
Jun 1, 2006
57 posts
2 upvotes
That happened to me a while ago. But I dont know if it is as bad as your situation. I banged my big toe and the nail was bleeding like crazy. It eventually stopped bleeding after I applied something on it. It healed on its own but now I have a scab-dried blood underneath the nail.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
If it's coming loose on it's own after that much time, it's coming off. Don't go out of your way to force it off, but make sure you're not going to catch it on something and tear it off.

It takes a lot of damage to the growth matrix at the base of the nail to truly kill a toenail. It will almost certainly grow back with no great difficulty. Your only concern should be that the new nail may try to grow into the flesh of the toe, so keep a close eye on the leading edge of the nail and make sure it doesn't start to grow inwards...if it does, use a thin but not sharp file or probe to keep lifting that front edge every couple of days.

I lose several toenails a year from ultimate frisbee and soccer, and it's no biggie.
Aug 19, 2005
231 posts
In your closet! (Tor…
kn1ght wrote:i banged my forth toe on a desk leg a week ago
it hard really much at first but after a while it felt a bit numb so i was fine with it
it turned black afterwards and now i feel that the whole nail is coming off (without any pain)...

what do you suggest i do...
take the nail off? (it will grow back right?)
leave it on there..? its half way coming loose
If it's black, then that means the blood must have dried up under the nail. You should go to the doctor. I remember having a gust of wind slam a door on my finger one time when I was a kid and the doctor having to stitch something up for me. Not exactly sure if it was a nail or anything, but you should definitely go see a doctor.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
you should be ok but go see a doctor he/she will tell you how to take care of it.. the topic made me cringe i always keep my toe nails trimmed i cant imagine how painful that was
Deal Fanatic
Jun 25, 2003
5025 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
my middle toe had the nail come out when i was younger.

it grew back fine.
Perfect 80-0 Heatware

Pickup only from Victoria Park and 401 area.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
CanadianN00b wrote:If it's black, then that means the blood must have dried up under the nail. You should go to the doctor. I remember having a gust of wind slam a door on my finger one time when I was a kid and the doctor having to stitch something up for me. Not exactly sure if it was a nail or anything, but you should definitely go see a doctor.
If it's black, it means that blood and fluids have accumulated under the nail. If you don't feel any pressure on the nail you can leave it until it's about to fall off. Then you can remove it by tugging on it gently. If there's pressure, you can take an x-acto knife and use the tip to "drill" a hole through the top of the nail. When you drill deep enough, you'll suddenly get blood/fluids coming out of the hole. This will relieve the pressure and help dry out the area underneath the nail. Eventually the nail will fall off. I've lost a lot of toenails from running marathons and other shorter races....so I've got some experience in dealing with black toenails.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
I dropped a bottle of Tommy Hilfigier perfume on my index toe, it was sharp and hit it dead on.

It killed, got all crusty fell off, and grew back perfectly.

DO NOT TOUCH IT
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7260 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianN00b wrote:If it's black, then that means the blood must have dried up under the nail. You should go to the doctor. I remember having a gust of wind slam a door on my finger one time when I was a kid and the doctor having to stitch something up for me. Not exactly sure if it was a nail or anything, but you should definitely go see a doctor.
i had black stuff too, it will eventually go away, takes 5 months to perfectly heal everything
_{o,o}...{o.-}--{0,0}
_|)__)_--|)_(|-_-(__(|
--"-"-___-"-"-__--"-"-
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
At present, I have one missing toenail, and one bloodfilled one that looks like it will hang on....I'll post a pic when I find my camera. You'll get a good sample of the two routes you may end up going.

And here are a couple of my posts from B40's toenail injury:

1. They can come almost completely off and STILL reattach and live a healthy life. This is rare, but happens.

2. More likely is that the toenail will first discolour, then start to sound "hollow" when you flick it, indicating that it is separating from the toe. The nail can come completely off after as little as a week, or as much as a couple of months. Sometimes it is so firmly attached at the growth zone that you have to slowly cut it away until it completely separates.

3. Depending on the length of time it takes to come off, you will have SOMETHING underneath it. Very short time = pink/red skin....very long time = half a new nail. Either way, whatever lies beneath will be mostly ugly.

4. The new nail will grow out at a (likely) very slow rate. My wife has taken up to a year to grow a new nail. It only takes me a couple of months (I'm distantly related to Chuck Norris). Keep an eye on the new nail....while it's growing, there is a chance it will try to ingrow. You can prevent this by lifting the top edge of the new nail with the edge of a nail file or blunt knife every few weeks. If it goes under the skin, you could be in for a world of hurt, and in extreme cases, day surgery.

5. No part of this process will hurt much, unless you decide to remove the nail before it's really ready (or you let it ingrow, which you can only blame yourself for.) There is very little possibility of infection, as the sub nail is sealed very early on.

6. Finally, it IS possible to damage your growth zone so thoroughly as to prevent ANY future growth of nails on the toe. You definitely didn't do this...you wouldn't be posting here right now if you had.

If/after the old nail falls off, when the new nail is finally making its way up the toe, it will start to harden. The top edge will be thin and brittle, and will probably flake (or be picked) off relatively early on in the process. The stronger part of the new nail SHOULD follow the skin, but sometimes you'll see that it seems to be curving downward a bit. You want to prevent that by lifting that edge with a thin but not sharp implement and sliding back and forth under that leading edge every once in a while.

You may not ever have to do that - I've had nails come in that don't require it at all. If you can see it curling down, or the skin ahead of the edge of the new nail is getting red, hot, and swollen, it's a sure sign you're starting to get a bit of ingrowth. Soak the toe in the hottest water you can stand, and do the edge lift thing again. It might hurt, but do it anyway....the alternative is not worth thinking about.

The new nail can also try to ingrow along the sides of the nail, which you can help prevent by keeping the new nail smooth and rounded with a clipper whenever possible.

Finally, when the old nail comes off, it's going to leave a deep pit along the bottom-sides of the toe where it separates from the toe. Keep those pits clean or you will a) stink, and b) possibly get it infected. The skin will grow back to fill it in soon enough.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
2 upvotes
When I was small, I banged my "first" toe when I opened a door at home. At the hospital, the doctor somehow poked 2 holes on the toe nail and out goes all the black blood that was stuck there. Lateron the ENTIRE toe nail came off, then new one grew back.
Oct 18, 2005
263 posts
21 upvotes
I was moving a 150lbs APC server battery and some how my hand slip and the side of the unit landed right on my big toe. At first it didn't hurt that bad but the next day, I couldnt barely walk. Had to go to the hospital and they poke 2 holes on top to release to black blood. It has been 2 months now and I start to see the new nail start to grow but it pushing the old one upward. It look like a dome top right now. I keep hearing that the old should just come off but mine still stick to the toe like a normal nail.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4705 posts
4639 upvotes
Toronto
I dropped a 4kg barn door hinge ( []> style) on my toe when I was a teen... Fun times on the farm, that's for sure. People have been dropping crap on their feet for millions of years, I'm pretty sure evolution has selected a way to cope with this trauma.

Anyway, once the black/purple goo finally rupture, everything was fine (after the stench of decomposing flesh vacated the room.) The nail grew back no problem, except it's about 3x as thick now (literally, about 1.5mm *thick*.)

It looked really odd to not have a nail there at all... Didn't take too long to grow back though.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3805 posts
4 upvotes
same thing happen to me a month or so ago, nail fell out like a week ago and now its half way back on....i still have the nail that fell off :)
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
× < >