None
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
22 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON

Help ! Bed bugs in house

Hey all ,

We have bed bugs in our basement in one of our rented apartment. 2 roommates. We found out when the tenants noticed bites on their hands .We found some of them and eggs and we treated the room with various steps.Washed, dried and bagged all their clothing.Removed mattress boxes inspected frames and headboards. Vacuumed everything including walls and floors. Steamed every thing .We put bed bug powder in all corners and areas. Sprayed 99% alcohol all over and Raid bed bug spray. Put on box and mattress encasement covers. Everything seemed fine for a month but their back.We didnt see any during this inspection but their coming late at night and biting tenant. We did the treatment of vacuum , spray and powder again and next night same thing. My wife is literally in tears dealing with this and we need your help and recommendations please. Anyone dealt with this and how? Please let us know.

Thanks
20 replies
Oct 14, 2007
315 posts
29 upvotes
Are you sure it was fine for a month? Looking it up on the internet, the eggs hatch within 6-10 days. I would imagine that they are being re-introduced from a difference source.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7005 posts
2096 upvotes
Toronto
I think the best thing is to bomb the basement, call the exterminators.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
22 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
Well thing is we shoud have went back in the days after our initial treatment but we had no complaints and didnt think they would be back because of how thorough we did everything:(
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2849 posts
306 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Fibretech101 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:40 pm
Well thing is we shoud have went back in the days after our initial treatment but we had no complaints and didnt think they would be back because of how thorough we did everything:(
Unless you called the pros, you still PROBABLY did not do a good enough job. We dealt with bed bugs twice (through no fault of our own) and even though I am a clean freak, we still had to get the pros to come in and take care of it. Bedbugs are so stressful and terrible and expensive that I do not wish them on even my enemies.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2052 posts
294 upvotes
Montreal
Heat treatment

It's expensive if you hire someone, but you can DIY.

Rent commercial heaters from HomeDepot or the like.

Be sure to have 118 F for minimum 90 minutes, it should kill them all, eggs included.

You'll need to take some precautions;
1. Stuff that can melt at those temperatures
2. Exhaust fumes from heaters

Good luck!
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
22 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
willdacanucker wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:47 pm
Unless you called the pros, you still PROBABLY did not do a good enough job. We dealt with bed bugs twice (through no fault of our own) and even though I am a clean freak, we still had to get the pros to come in and take care of it. Bedbugs are so stressful and terrible and expensive that I do not wish them on even my enemies.
Yes I agree. Were definitely thinking of calling a professional now . And AMEN to that !
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
22 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
marc_t wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:49 pm
Heat treatment

It's expensive if you hire someone, but you can DIY.

Rent commercial heaters from HomeDepot or the like.

Be sure to have 118 F for minimum 90 minutes, it should kill them all, eggs included.

You'll need to take some precautions;
1. Stuff that can melt at those temperatures
2. Exhaust fumes from heaters

Good luck!
Yes have been definitely looking into heat treatment and from what I have read , it is very effective . Thanks !
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
5789 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
burn the house down. There is no other sure proof way.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12427 posts
2710 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 4:02 pm
...and hope the many construction workers on the replacement build have no bugs in their clothing or equipment Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6949 posts
422 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 4:02 pm
Not enough. Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Feb 9, 2013
736 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
I am sorry to hear that OP. You are in for a long, stressful fight. There is a product that can be ordered from the USA that has nearly 100% effectiveness when dealing with bed bugs. It's called Cimexa, which is a proprietary insecticide dust. The scientific articles I consulted for research all seem to agree that it is FAR more effective than other insecticidal dust or diatomaceous earth. You will need to vacuum everything, wash all linens, and apply a fine layer of the dust to anywhere the bed bug can hide.
Dec 31, 2011
184 posts
49 upvotes
Ajax
I use to work in a homeless shelter and bedbugs were a very common thing. So far you have done a lot of things right, bit in my opinion you need to kick it up a few notches. Bedbugs are extremely difficult to eliminate and have an insane tolerance to heat and cold. I brought one back to my home a few years ago and did the following things that seem to work

Whatever the affected areas are, throw out everything. Bed, frames, mattress, couches, tables (wood especially), etc

Take a steamer and steam every corner of the affected area

Wash all your clothing, linen in hot water

Re-paint all the walls and re-silicone baseboards

Lastly, as pointed out, get a pro to come out and heat fog the rooms or the entire house

When dealing with bedbugs you need to go overboard in how to eliminate them I would rather live in a house infested with cockroaches and mice then 1 bedbug. I would go as far to say that if I could not eliminate the problem I would sell my house and throw out every belonging and start fresh.
Feb 9, 2013
736 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
cobs00 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:47 am
I use to work in a homeless shelter and bedbugs were a very common thing. So far you have done a lot of things right, bit in my opinion you need to kick it up a few notches. Bedbugs are extremely difficult to eliminate and have an insane tolerance to heat and cold. I brought one back to my home a few years ago and did the following things that seem to work

Whatever the affected areas are, throw out everything. Bed, frames, mattress, couches, tables (wood especially), etc

Take a steamer and steam every corner of the affected area

Wash all your clothing, linen in hot water

Re-paint all the walls and re-silicone baseboards

Lastly, as pointed out, get a pro to come out and heat fog the rooms or the entire house

When dealing with bedbugs you need to go overboard in how to eliminate them I would rather live in a house infested with cockroaches and mice then 1 bedbug. I would go as far to say that if I could not eliminate the problem I would sell my house and throw out every belonging and start fresh.
+1. I wouldn't wish a bed bug infestation on my worst enemy.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1638 posts
382 upvotes
Paris
We stayed at hotels once for work and a colleague saw one crawl across his desk while working. When he got home, he undressed in the garage, sent everything out for steam treatment, and threw out his luggage.

I was in a different hotel.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel