• Jun 29th, 2017 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
29 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Thank you all so much for the advice, suggestions and sharing your experiences. We are having a professional come out to do a treatment and were looking forward to having a beg bug free home. Yes we agree that any insect is better than bed bugs. I will post our progress !
Aug 7, 2015
46 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I can feel your pain. We had been in the same situation few years ago. Fortunately we found someone on Kijiji offering effective treatment. The guy sprayed something in all rooms and furniture. That stuff had a strong smell, we were told to stay out of the home for more than 24 hours. Later we came back and put every clothing/ fabrics through drier. Thank God we were bug free in no time. He gave us 6 months guarantee because if there were still some eggs left. We didn't need another treatment. I will try to find that company's info for you.
Sep 19, 2013
766 posts
191 upvotes
Winnipeg
sounds scary. looking forward to what happens with OP's story.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1669 posts
671 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I think the saying that the only thing that will be left after a nuclear holocaust will be cockroaches should be updated to also include bed bugs!!! They are remarkably hardy little things.

When visiting Europe a few years ago, we rented a flat in Paris that turned out to have some bedbugs. Luckily, we were only there a few days and they didn't sneak into our luggage or clothes for us to bring home!

Looking forward to see how this turns out.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
29 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Update:
So we had a Professional exterminator come out to our place 2 weeks ago . He did the treatment using powder and this clear spray all over the room, in all cracks ,baseboards ,wall corners and around beds and furniture. So far no signs of them and no more complaints from tenants about any bites ! :)
Aug 17, 2008
871 posts
258 upvotes
Fibretech101 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 4:00 pm
Update:
So we had a Professional exterminator come out to our place 2 weeks ago . He did the treatment using powder and this clear spray all over the room, in all cracks ,baseboards ,wall corners and around beds and furniture. So far no signs of them and no more complaints from tenants about any bites ! :)
Good to hear. How much did it cost for this treatment (in basement only?)

You might also want to do some research into precautions to take, and talk to your tenants about it as well. The bed bugs didn't come into your basement themselves; they were brought into your home, likely by one of the tenants. And neither you nor your tenants want to go through this again. I try to ensure that my family is very aware of all steps they should take to minimize the risk of bringing bed bugs home.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
1711 posts
545 upvotes
Mississauga
Fibretech101 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 4:00 pm
Update:
Almost summer now, are you still bug free? Care to share what it cost you?
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
29 posts
3 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Hey guys , yes sure ill do a breakdown.
So we only got that one big infested room 19×13 ft treated . The exterminator also checked the other 2 smaller rooms but didn't find any signs and said we didn't need to treat there.He also sprayed the outer wall ,doorway and baseboards of that big room.We paid $300 for that. Plus from him we bought high quality zippered bed bug mattress encasements for 2 single beds in that room which were $100 = $50 each.That was $400 total for the professional treatment .

Now for what we tried and spent on treating it ourselves first by reading online recommendations and tips.

Raid bed bug sprays $60 and bought a steamer to steam that whole room and its furniture like the bed,boxes, frames And headboards $80 .Also 99% alcohol to spray the whole room $50 . We also initially bought cheap mattress and box encasements from Wal-Mart which were plastic so ripped easily $120. Also threw out the 1 box that was infested so new one was $50 .Also the amount of time and effort in doing all that was very tiring and a pain.

So on our own treatment we spent $370.

Total $770 ish. Let's say $800...

Hope that helps !
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
35 upvotes
At the Circus
A tip I read in a mag a long time ago was saying to take your pillows, put them in a garbage bag (to protect them) and leave them outside in winter for at least 24 hours when it is at least -10C. This will kill many unpleasant things living on your pillows. They were also recommending to do the same for mattresses. I've been doing it every few years. Btw it will kill bed bugs on your mattress and pillows.

How your pillow is the perfect breeding ground for gruesome array of pests and diseases

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z4kwwA9xmg

Your Pillow is Full of Bugs, Dead Skin, Dust Mites and Their Feces

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... es/352108/

Your pillows are just bags of bugs and their poop

http://nypost.com/2017/03/29/your-pillo ... heir-poop/
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12822 posts
2938 upvotes
Imsmarterthanyou wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 3:28 pm
A tip I read in a mag a long time ago was saying to take your pillows, put them in a garbage bag (to protect them) and leave them outside in winter for at least 24 hours when it is at least -10C.
I don't know if this method your proposing would actually work but your freezer operates at about -18C.
You might want to empty first so your pillow will fit
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
35 upvotes
At the Circus
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 8:53 pm
I don't know if this method your proposing would actually work but your freezer operates at about -18C.
You might want to empty first so your pillow will fit
I've been doing it many times and I can tell you that I feel a difference after I've let the mattress, box spring and pillows out at -20C for 36 hours. I guess the liquid dripping from my mouth as I sleep is feeding many bugs.

A chest freezer would definitely work for the pillows, but it doesn't make sense if you need to empty it first. And I doubt very much you'll manage to fit in a mattress and a box spring in it ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23572 posts
2184 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Your pillow should be replaced every few years because of the feces that bugs and mites leave behind

It is simple to test. Buy a new pillow and weigh it. Then weigh it every year you own it. You will see the weight is increasing year over year. This is because it is a breeding ground for bugs and mites

The best way to avoid or minimise your exposure is to use a high density foam pillow. Not too many bugs can survive in that.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12822 posts
2938 upvotes
Imsmarterthanyou wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 9:26 pm
I've been doing it many times and I can tell you that I feel a difference after I've let the mattress, box spring and pillows out at -20C for 36 hours. I guess the liquid dripping from my mouth as I sleep is feeding many bugs.

A chest freezer would definitely work for the pillows, but it doesn't make sense if you need to empty it first. And I doubt very much you'll manage to fit in a mattress and a box spring in it ;)
You can feel the bugs being dead?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
35 upvotes
At the Circus
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 10:04 pm
You can feel the bugs being dead?
I honestly don't know how to describe it. There is something different is all I can say. I've been doing this every 3-5 years. It makes a lot of sense since it does kill the living organisms. Give it a try next winter and decide for yourself.
Aug 17, 2008
871 posts
258 upvotes
Imsmarterthanyou wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 9:26 pm
out at -20C for 36 hours.
Cold works, but it takes a lot more than 36 hours if you want to be sure to kill all the buggers, including any eggs (eggs can survive a lot longer in the cold than live bugs). Here's an article that suggests minimum 3.5 days at -18C, or minimum 2 days at a consistent -20C (and leaving it outside, temperature might may not be as low during the day). That's standard practice for museum collections and food commodities to kill any hidden bugs.
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wild-t ... t-too-long

Heat works much faster, but you need +60C, so it's not as easy as leaving stuff outside in the winter. But you can buy heating boxes in which you can put luggage or bags in, that will kill any hidden bed bugs in a few hours. Not big enough for an entire mattress though. I bought one in the US a few years ago that I use as a prevention tool, and will put my bags/luggage in it after travel.