• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2019 12:59 pm
[OP]
Jul 27, 2015
9 posts
3 upvotes
Lower Mainland

Help with buying a forester

Hey everyone, I am looking to purchase either a 2017/2018 or new 2019 forester with eyesight. I am located in the Greater Vancouver Area and am looking for some advice. From what I searched so far, forester seems to suite my needs. Safety and reliability is my top priority. I mostly do highway driving and have long commutes to and from work (>100km). I don't want to worry about the car sliding in various weather conditions along bends on the highway and whatnot. I am looking to buy soon, as my previous vehicle have a lot of issues and is not worth fixing.

The price range for a brand new vehicle (not too worry about the trim as long as it has eyesight) with tax/ all the fees is a bit above my price range (37-38k for a touring, quoted from the dealer). And the financing options that I was offered seem to be a bit high 6-7% over 5 years. I found some 2018 models on @utotrader which are around 27k before taxes/fees/etc with anywhere between 16-25k km in mileage. One of the dealership I went to said they have some rental/ courtesy vehicle returns and offers a lower financing rate of 3%. My questions are:

1) any suggestions of a good dealership around the GVR and/or Vancouver Island
2) any issues I should watch out for when purchasing used subarus from a dealership, and concerns about returned rental vehicles/ courtesy etc
3) is there any benefits from getting certified pre-owned vs just used from the dealership ?
4) any other suggestions for cars that are even safer/ more reliable
5) what is considered a good rate/ price for these cars
6) any other advices for purchasing a car
7) leads to any other sources where I can find more information

I am quite sure I got ripped off when I purchased my previous cars with their optional insurances from third parties etc. Looking to not make the same mistakes. This time I tried doing as much research as I can, but with my long commute and work schedule its becoming a little overwhelming

Thank you so much for you time in advance!
9 replies
Feb 2, 2018
308 posts
251 upvotes
Montreal
The early years of the previous generation of Foresters (2014-2018) were know to have engine oil consumption issues. Not sure if fixed in the latter model years. You might want to research into this.

If you don't need the CUV hatch, I would recommend looking at a Legacy Sedan instead; its Touring + eyesight trim comes much cheaper than the Forester. It's also has a lower center of gravity, bigger footprint, which translates to a more stable and more comfy drive. I drive a 2015 Legacy sedan and my wife has a 2019 Forester; I definitely prefer the Legacy for highway rides (my commute is 50km all highway). Also, a newer generation of Legacy is coming out later this year, so the dealers may be more incentivized to move current models.

Regarding what you said about safety and not sliding around corners, Subarus and AWD vehicles won't prevent those. Go into a curve with too much speed, and you will lose traction. AWD vehicles will behave differently once you're slipping, but hey won't prevent it in the first place. If you want to minimize the chance of losing grip, invest in better tires (not sure if it gets cold enough there for winter tires).

Toyotas are known to be tops in terms of reliability. You might also want to look at the Mazda CX-5 -reliability should be on par with Subaru and more fun to drive, more sound isolation, nicer cabin to be in (compared to 2018 and older Forester).

37-38K for a 2019 Touring sounds pretty good to me. That's like ~$2000 off after taxes. Subarus are generally pretty stingy when it comes to rebates.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2015
9 posts
3 upvotes
Lower Mainland
CloudReader wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:29 pm
The early years of the previous generation of Foresters (2014-2018) were know to have engine oil consumption issues. Not sure if fixed in the latter model years. You might want to research into this.

If you don't need the CUV hatch, I would recommend looking at a Legacy Sedan instead; its Touring + eyesight trim comes much cheaper than the Forester. It's also has a lower center of gravity, bigger footprint, which translates to a more stable and more comfy drive. I drive a 2015 Legacy sedan and my wife has a 2019 Forester; I definitely prefer the Legacy for highway rides (my commute is 50km all highway). Also, a newer generation of Legacy is coming out later this year, so the dealers may be more incentivized to move current models.

Regarding what you said about safety and not sliding around corners, Subarus and AWD vehicles won't prevent those. Go into a curve with too much speed, and you will lose traction. AWD vehicles will behave differently once you're slipping, but hey won't prevent it in the first place. If you want to minimize the chance of losing grip, invest in better tires (not sure if it gets cold enough there for winter tires).

Toyotas are known to be tops in terms of reliability. You might also want to look at the Mazda CX-5 -reliability should be on par with Subaru and more fun to drive, more sound isolation, nicer cabin to be in (compared to 2018 and older Forester).

37-38K for a 2019 Touring sounds pretty good to me. That's like ~$2000 off after taxes. Subarus are generally pretty stingy when it comes to rebates.
Thank you so much for replying. That is good information, I will go and test drive a legacy and try to see what quotes the dealership is offering.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2751 posts
1644 upvotes
Montreal
The seat in 14~18 isn't the best, to some are okay to some they are horrible, too flat and not enough bolstering. For that long of a commute, go sit in one for extend period of time and see if you can deal with. 19+ seats are much improved.

A Legacy would be better for highway commute, the longer wheelbase and sedan sitting position would give a better ride.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2834 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a '19 Forester Sport last week... This will be my first Subaru. Hopefully it won't have major mechanical issues...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7614 posts
1503 upvotes
Pick up or go to a library near you for a copy of Lemon Aid Guide, should answer most of your questions and has other information that will come in handy once you have they sorted out.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Mar 30, 2019
8 posts
2 upvotes
Just advising the community that I got a forester sport for about $40k on the road. Could have gotten the touring for about $37.7k... basically cost + 3.X % . did email multiple dealers, most brushed me off but some did entertain and counter my offer... basically paid $200 more than what I was asking...

Outback’s are more negotiable... could have gotten cost + 500
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2477 posts
714 upvotes
We stopped by the Maple Subaru dealer strictly to browse. We encountered a very polite, experience salesman.

He hinted that the Outbacks could be a good deal in the short future because an all-new 2020 model is coming. We looked at the current Outback... I'm not a Subaru person, but I really liked it.
Dec 29, 2016
108 posts
7 upvotes
Sunamiwave wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 11:55 am
Just advising the community that I got a forester sport for about $40k on the road. Could have gotten the touring for about $37.7k... basically cost + 3.X % . did email multiple dealers, most brushed me off but some did entertain and counter my offer... basically paid $200 more than what I was asking...

Outback’s are more negotiable... could have gotten cost + 500
Curious if you got OTR pricing for Limited/Premier in your search?
Oct 24, 2018
196 posts
179 upvotes
Please forgive my ignorance about the west coast, but if cross boarder shopping is at all an option I'd have a look at this website and the guy who runs it:

https://www.cars101.com/

Again, I have no real idea about distances from the OP, or attitudes to buying cars and importing them, but that website provides a lot of info on current Subaru promotions, stats, info, and costs. Outbacks are made in the USA so I imagine there would be very little issues bringing them over the border.

On a side note, I've driven every Subaru model that has been sold in Canada since the late 80's, and my favorite has so far been the H6 series of Outbacks (it is one smooth well engineered engine). The 2020 Outback is not going to offer a H6 option which is a shame, but savvy buyers might be able to get good deals on remaining stock because of it.