Cell Phones

Help - Cell Phone/Plan suggestions for Family of 6 !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2012 9:48 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 9, 2002
439 posts
101 upvotes

Help - Cell Phone/Plan suggestions for Family of 6 !!!

Hi All,

A friend of mine is getting 6 (or maybe 7) cell phones and plans for the family for Christmas.

Their 3 yr. Bell contract is up (for 6 family members, 1 on Koodo on her own). I told her to hold off renewing with new cheap phones and locking in again.

What are some of the best options out there for new phones (or even getting refurbed/used) with the following in mind. Will consider scraping their land line too.

1 - Mom - not a lot of use....light texting / calling....2 daughters long distance (one is already with Koodo)
2 - Dad - same as mom, but won't talk as much (i.e. daughter long distance)
3- Son - 18
4 - Son - 16
5 - Daughter - 14
6 - Daughter - 20 (University, long distance)
7 - Daughter - 22 (University, long distance, but doesn't need included, on Koodo already)

ANY guidance would be great. They are currently paying about $300 (maybe a little more) per month for everyone.

Thanks In Advance,

J

Forgot to mention....NOT in GTA....so no Wind or Mobilicity coverage (Owen Sound area)
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6107 posts
703 upvotes
Do they work at any larger corporations?

The sons and youngest daughter should get Wind Mobile or Mobilicity. They stay in city, and do not need the "extra" coverage as of yet. They provide unlimited plans which means worry free bills.

Other daughter should consider koodo, as for Mom and Dad, probably a prepaid plan where their $$ can accumulate over time since they are not heavy users.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2002
439 posts
101 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 8:27 am
Do they work at any larger corporations?

The sons and youngest daughter should get Wind Mobile or Mobilicity. They stay in city, and do not need the "extra" coverage as of yet. They provide unlimited plans which means worry free bills.

Other daughter should consider koodo, as for Mom and Dad, probably a prepaid plan where their $$ can accumulate over time since they are not heavy users.
The parents are teachers and can get a decent corporate plan through Bell I think.....not a big fan of Bell...and not sure if it is limited for each employee (ie one phone per employee)

Thanks for your input. Take Care.

J
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1551 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
talk to CSRs of Bell kindly and ask for what you NEED. Im 100% sure they will want the business of 6 people.
if not, take it to Rogers and ask for the same thing. tell them you have 6 people/a family plan.

The key thing about plans is asking for what you need. dont get things that you don't use or else it's just a waste of money.

I wouldnt suggest mobilicity or wind just yet. For family of 6, you have A LOT of leverage of bargaining for a good plan.

To future proof you plan, try to get 6gb and CID, VM,

texting plan isnt as important anymore as you can use data to text.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1551 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Also if the family members do not care or have an Android phone preference, get the iphone5, sell it, and buy an android phone brand new for less. you'll have a little extra money that you can put back to pay the plan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8635 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
Check out Koodo and Virgin offerings.
Jun 11, 2009
767 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
n3o321 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 1:49 pm
Also if the family members do not care or have an Android phone preference, get the iphone5, sell it, and buy an android phone brand new for less. you'll have a little extra money that you can put back to pay the plan.
Won't it be hard to negotiate on plan pricing if they are opting for iphone5. Its better to go the android route as they might get more leeway.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2002
439 posts
101 upvotes
Should they not be concerned about 3 year commitment / contract ?????
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4786 posts
993 upvotes
Kanata
Damn I'd go broke with cell plan for a family of 6. Though $300 doesn't seem bad ifthe kids have data plans and such.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1551 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
This is my plan. This plan is also 1.5 years old. With Rogers.

You can't do much when all they offer you is 3 years contract. That's why you bargain for what you need and make sure you lay yourself a good plan before signing up.

Knowing that Mobilicity launched their '4g' network, im still uncertain how fast it is...i just remembered when i was with mobilicity, it was cheap but took forever to connect to their network. its not as fast as rogers. That was with my Nexus S back then, who knows, maybe their towers improved and phones have improved.

With 6 accounts, i rather go with one of the Big 3. I see that Telus has a 100$ porting in credit...(i think) Their plans arent bad either and they are the only ones i've seen that buy people's contract. (not sure how often this is but i've seen it done.)

Oct 22, 2011
90 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
jtplayte wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 7:23 am
Hi All,

A friend of mine is getting 6 (or maybe 7) cell phones and plans for the family for Christmas.

Their 3 yr. Bell contract is up (for 6 family members, 1 on Koodo on her own). I told her to hold off renewing with new cheap phones and locking in again.

What are some of the best options out there for new phones (or even getting refurbed/used) with the following in mind. Will consider scraping their land line too.

1 - Mom - not a lot of use....light texting / calling....2 daughters long distance (one is already with Koodo)
2 - Dad - same as mom, but won't talk as much (i.e. daughter long distance)
3- Son - 18
4 - Son - 16
5 - Daughter - 14
6 - Daughter - 20 (University, long distance)
7 - Daughter - 22 (University, long distance, but doesn't need included, on Koodo already)

ANY guidance would be great. They are currently paying about $300 (maybe a little more) per month for everyone.

Thanks In Advance,

J

Forgot to mention....NOT in GTA....so no Wind or Mobilicity coverage (Owen Sound area)
I know there are a lot of other options, and I am not trying to be bias, but I work for Virgin so I'll tell you what I would do. One note is with Virgin you can have 2 accounts with 5 lines each, so I'll break down what I would do.

1 - Mom - $30/mn on Virgin, would get 100 local or long distance minutes a month, unlimited text/picture messaging, voicemail and call ID, and UNLIMITED CALLING to the other four numbers on this account. With $30/mn, you can take up to 200 off a phone, and go on a tab, VS a 3 year, with 10% of the bills paying it off. Maybe an entry level android slider like the LG Eclypse.. Good for texting with the full keyboard (As long as she isn't wanting anything crazy fancy) (Can be $5/mn cheaper w/o call ID) Up front cost - 0
2 - Dad - $25/mn on Virgin, tab again on entry level phone (android, bb, flip phone) 50 local or long distance minutes, unlimited text, picture messaging, voicemail, call id, and unlimited calling to the other four numbers on the account. (Can lower $5/mn w/o voicemail and call id) Up front cost - 0
3) - Daughter - 14 - Not sure how the daughter likes phones, if she is set on iPhone, like many 14 year olds are, the 4s is 0 right now on a smartphone plan. (Or other droids/BB) If she can connect to wifi, and limit cell data, $50/mn would work. 200 local, unlimited local after 5, unlimited text/pic, voicemail and call id, 100 mb data, and 10 national buddies of unlimited calling.
4) Daughter - 20 - Very hard to say without knowing usage. By putting her on her parent's account, her parents will get unlimited calling to her even on their cheap plans. If she wants a phone that is $200 or less, go with tab, $40/mn for 200 local or long distance, unlimited long distance (or local) after 5, free incoming, unlimited text/pic, and vm/call id ($5/mn cheaper w/o vm/call id) . Data would be pay-per-use, 100mb is $10, 300mn is 15, 1 GB is $20, 3 GB is 20. If she does this, the HTC One S is also a great choice, as you can get it for $75 on this plan, with only a 150 tab, 10% of bills paying off.

OR

Smartphone route, $63/mn for 200 local, unlimited calling local after 6, unlimited text/pic, 10 national buddies (Because this plan is local minutes, her family at home would have to be a buddy). $8 more for voicemail and Call ID. This could get the 4s for 0, an S2 for 0, or any other phone at a huge subsidized rate. If you get the high-end phones, go on 3 year, because it'll take much longer to pay off the tab on a phone discounted $650.

5) Daughter 22 - Same as 4.

----

New account, as only 5 lines with Virgin can be on one account.

6/7 - Sons 14/16, boys usually like droids, get em something like like One S for $75 up front, then you can pick a choice plan, like $25/mn for each, like moms, with pay per use data. Most boys don't call, and lets say they both use 1 GB data, bill would be $45/mn

Total...

1- 25-30 (Dependent on taking voicemail and call ID)
2- 20-25 (Dependent on taking voicemail and call ID)
3- 50
4- 63
5- 63
6- 35-45 (Dependent on data) (could be slightly more)
7- 35-45 (Dependent on data) (could be slightly more)

Total = 291- 321.

Can be significantly cheaper if people go on choice plans rather than combo.

Hope this helps,
× < >