• Mar 18th, 2019 11:03 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 10, 2014
30 posts
1 upvote
London

Help with Cellphone/Recommendations

Hi Everyone - certified luddite here. But also one that believes that monthly expenses are the root of all evil.

My wife and I have cellphones that are just over 2 years old (LG4 and Samsung S6 respectively). Lately, we've noticed that the phones, despite being charged, shutoff in cold weather, and when below say 40%, will off a sudden shutoff and say the battery is not charged (or charged like 3%).

Does this sound like a battery problem? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase batteries? In general, how much do batteries cost?

We have really cheap monthly plans we are happy with - we are not big data users and 500 mb is fine with us. We are thinking of buying new phones outright. We again, don't need all too much, but would like an upgrade from our current models. Can anyone recommend a) phones we should consider? And is there a good place to buy them/sales we should look out for?

Thanks everyone - really appreciate it. Keep saving!
Marriott Rewards: Platinum
AMEX Gold Rewards
Capital One World Elite Cashback
13 replies
[OP]
Mar 10, 2014
30 posts
1 upvote
London
Thanks elgros4, but do you have any recommendations on where to get the battery?
AMEX Gold Rewards
Oct 17, 2010
562 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
InOverHisHead wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 6:29 pm
Thanks elgros4, but do you have any recommendations on where to get the battery?
You can most likely find one on ebay. However be very careful with generic battery as you don't know the quality of it. At the same time it might be difficult to find a genuine battery as this is an old model.

The S6 battery is built in I'd recommend going to a reputable cell phone repair shop to have your battery replaced consider the unit is still in 100% working condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG-G4-Repl ... SwB-1Ypijz

Good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30729 posts
5153 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It's not worth replacing the battery. What if something else goes wrong in a few months.

For me, I change out my phones every 2 years. Maybe 3 if I am having a bad year.

You got your money's worth from those phones. They don't owe you anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1434 posts
620 upvotes
I agree with what @titaniumtux & @Gee says, but I'll add to it.

IMO I'd buy new & avoid refurbished phone(s) altogether, lessen the hassle of gambling with refurbished products.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25188 posts
10615 upvotes
Battery is boned for sure.

Swapping may be easy, but finding a battery that doesn't suck is going to be hard.

It sounds like you're currently happy with your phones (besides the battery issue) so I'd chuck $10 at it to see if it fixes it.
Worst case, you're out $10 and have to buy a new phone. Best case, it works decently well and you saved a few hundred.

EDIT: I read it wrong. Maybe you're not that happy.
Still... if it's acceptable I'd still try it. Like I said, worst case is $10.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2014
30 posts
1 upvote
London
What's a Koodo churn? My wife and I aren't really picky about cellphones but would like some kind of upgrade if we are getting new ones. I will avoid refurbished as per your recommendations. I feel like I am paying through the nose buying one outright - do they ever go on sale, or does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get one (Freedom vs Koodo vs Best Buy etc?).

Thanks!
AMEX Gold Rewards
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16687 posts
6539 upvotes
Oakville
"Koodo churn" is buying a discounted phone from Koodo on a plan, and cancelling immediately. Because of a quirk in the way Koodo's phone tab system is setup, when you cancel your plan early you don't have to pay back the discount. They are the only carrier that you can do this with. It's especially great when you get added bonuses like gift cards with activation too, you don't have to pay those back on early cancellation either. You can find deals posted in hot deals all the time. Example - s9 for $480 plus $35 activation fee and get a $250 best buy gift card: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-samsung-galaxy-s9-0-koodo-large-tab-250-gift-card-new-activations-only-2271841/#p30683149

As for replacing the battery - it *can* be worth it, but there's so many shitty counterfeit batteries out there that'll just die in 6 months that it's *really* a lottery. Gets pricey if you aren't replacing them yourself, too.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6199 posts
2559 upvotes
Alberta
jay-em wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:23 am
I agree with what @titaniumtux & @Gee says, but I'll add to it.

IMO I'd buy new & avoid refurbished phone(s) altogether, lessen the hassle of gambling with refurbished products.
x2. And don't buy a used or new one off kijiji either, it's full of scammers.
Oct 17, 2010
562 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
InOverHisHead wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 4:15 pm

We have really cheap monthly plans we are happy with - we are not big data users and 500 mb is fine with us.

Which carrier are you with? How much are you currently paying a month and what do you have on your plan?
[OP]
Mar 10, 2014
30 posts
1 upvote
London
Well, we are with Freedom and each pay $25/month. Freedom doesn't have a great selection of phones (for the cheap anyway), so I guess we were thinking of buying a new unlocked one, maybe from BestBuy?
AMEX Gold Rewards
Oct 17, 2010
562 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
InOverHisHead wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 6:37 pm
Well, we are with Freedom and each pay $25/month. Freedom doesn't have a great selection of phones (for the cheap anyway), so I guess we were thinking of buying a new unlocked one, maybe from BestBuy?
The minimum monthly rate would get you a free phone would probably be the zoomer promo on a 2 yrs term which is $40/month

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/zoomer-w ... d-2270237/

If you insist to stay on the $25 plan with freedom buying a phone out right would be your best bet. However do keep in mind not all phone has all the bands (frequency) needed for freedom. I know there are android phones you can buy out right at costco but depends on what it is it might or might not work on freedom. Your best bet would be buying a phone directly from them.

$210.00 https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and- ... samsung-j3
$170.00 https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and- ... to-e5-play
$96.00 https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and- ... s/zte-z557