Help with cheap cell phone plan with data

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 1:49 pm
[OP]
May 11, 2018
17 posts
7 upvotes

Help with cheap cell phone plan with data

Hey, right now I am using Koodo prepaid, which works out to $17.95/month for unlimited texting after taxes. I don't use many minutes so that cost is negligible. I need about 300mb of data per month, and data is $30/ 1 gig.

So I am paying $28 per month after taxes.

Do you guys think there are other possible options I should be considering, or is this pretty much the cheapest for what I am after?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1514 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
Tbaytel Rogers HSPA+ 20GB for $125 with 1 Year Expiry

20GB for $125 ($6.25/GB, avgs out to $10.42/month), up to 1 year to use it up. Rollover unused data with annual $100 top up.

5,000 Outgoing Txt for $15, up to 1 year to use it up.

20¢/min incoming, 40¢/min outgoing

Port your existing # to Fongo and call fwd to your newly assigned Tbaytel # OR use dual Sim phone and keep your existing phone # with a prepaid carrier of your choice.

Or get the Fido $15/month 3GB Tablet Plan.
Aug 9, 2012
132 posts
27 upvotes
Sorry, nothing cheaper here. I use Koodo for my text/calling as well with similar usage to yours, except I have a dual sim phone and have the 3GB for $15 tablet plan from Fido that I use for data. Costs me a tiny bit more but substantially more data and overages are only $10 per 1GB.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5032 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Grego8 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 9:32 pm
Hey, right now I am using Koodo prepaid, which works out to $17.95/month for unlimited texting after taxes. I don't use many minutes so that cost is negligible. I need about 300mb of data per month, and data is $30/ 1 gig.
The lowest cell plan with decent data amount is this one AFAIK. Still $45 + tax. Primus.ca is part of Rogers LTE network .
If you have a phone there is no need for you to get that phone too

Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4616 posts
2122 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
May 13th, 2018 8:23 pm
The lowest cell plan with decent data amount is this one AFAIK. Still $45 + tax. Primus.ca is part of Rogers LTE network .
If you have a phone there is no need for you to get that phone too
Go check out Chatr, Lucky, Public.
Last edited by Redmask on May 13th, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary
Mar 2, 2017
38 posts
21 upvotes
In March, Koodo had a $20 unlimited Canada-wide talk and text promotion going. They also have a 500mb for $2 addon available through retentions. I can personally confirm both can be combined on the same line. While the $20 unlimited promo was supposed to be targeted, I was able to get my postpaid plan switched over to it just by phoning in and asking the front line rep nicely.

While the $20 unlimited promo appears to have ended, the code for it may still be available through retentions if you get a generous retentions CSR. Or Koodo may offer it again if you keep an eye out. But if you can get it, $22 + fees + taxes is going to get you unlimited texting and 300mb+ for cheaper than the $28 you mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5032 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
hvwozq wrote:
May 13th, 2018 9:05 pm
Go check out Chatr, Lucky, Public.
Why not you pinpoint one particular current, not future, plan that is great for the OP then?
Last edited by Redmask on May 14th, 2018 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Nested quote removal
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
May 11, 2018
17 posts
7 upvotes
ddot98 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 2:12 am
In March, Koodo had a $20 unlimited Canada-wide talk and text promotion going. They also have a 500mb for $2 addon available through retentions. I can personally confirm both can be combined on the same line. While the $20 unlimited promo was supposed to be targeted, I was able to get my postpaid plan switched over to it just by phoning in and asking the front line rep nicely.

While the $20 unlimited promo appears to have ended, the code for it may still be available through retentions if you get a generous retentions CSR. Or Koodo may offer it again if you keep an eye out. But if you can get it, $22 + fees + taxes is going to get you unlimited texting and 300mb+ for cheaper than the $28 you mentioned.

thank you. what does through retentions mean?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7298 posts
1141 upvotes
The Fido 2gb $15 + 10$ text is an option maybe? use VOIP for calls?
Mar 2, 2017
38 posts
21 upvotes
Grego8 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:10 pm
thank you. what does through retentions mean?
When you call into Koodo's (or pretty much any telecom's for that matter) customer support, you first get to talk with a front line rep. They can solve basic problems, but only have limited power. Under certain conditions (most notably when you threaten to cancel), you'll get escalated to the second level reps, often refereed to as retentions or loyalty. Their job is to "retain" you or keep you from cancelling. They have substantially more power than the front line reps and often have access to unadvertised plans, addons or discounts. If there's any chance of you still getting the $20 unlimited promo, it would most likely be the retentions rep that can do it. Keep in mind that retentions is still limited to what the computer system can offer. If the code is no longer in the system, then their hands are tied.

But if you're currently on prepaid and willing to move to post paid (they value post paid more) and you're willing to pay more than you currently are (that makes you a more valuable client) then you may have some options. Do some research on the $20 unlimited promo from the other thread so you know what you're talking about. Call in, tell the front line rep you missed the $20 unlimited promo, but you're curious if it was still available. They'll probably tell you no, so then politely ask if a different rep may have access to it and can they escalate you. Depending on how accommodating the front line rep is, they may or may not. If not, hang up, try again and hope you get a more accommodating rep. If you do get escalated, ask the retentions rep about the $20 unlimited promo and also say you'd like to throw in a little bit of data. See what they say. Even if the $20 unlimited promo is gone, they still may have something that'll work for you. It's always YMMV with the reps. If the rep isn't accommodating, try again.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2618 posts
1637 upvotes
Muskoka
Look at PublicMobile
For $30/month ($28 after auto-pay credit) you get unlimited Cda Wide, unlimited intl text and 500mb month. But if you go out to 90 days you pay triple ($90) and get triple the data (1.5GB) but you can now manage that data over 90days instead of always having to manage 500mb over 30 days.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Dec 28, 2006
12 posts
anyone hear about the 49$ 6g plus 2g bonus plan being offered by fido, virgin and koodoo?
how is fido? I'm with rogers right now, but they won't offer me the fido promo.
currently with rogers I have 7g for 67$
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4505 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
if you have a dual sim phone, you can do:
Sim 1: Fido's 3GB for $15
Sim 2: Public Mobile's 50 mins for $10 (8$ if you auto pay)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)