Help with chimney crack repair

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2017 2:30 pm
Jun 20, 2012
160 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Help with chimney crack repair

Can anyone advise on how to repair cracks in the chimney? This is at my parents house and it becomes a problem when it rains. Water would seep through to their basement through the old ash clean-out. Any input would be much appreciated!
Images
  • IMG_20170724_184558.jpg
  • IMG-20170623-WA0000.jpg
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
For a hole that small, you can use silicone masonry chalking. It's designed to stick to masonry and is heat resistant. It comes in a tube that loads into a caulking gun. You can buy it at any big box store

If the hole were larger, you would use quick set cement

If the job were really large, and there were bad bricks , you would hire a chimney tuck point service to rebuild the chimney
Jun 20, 2012
160 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That's awesome thanks for answering all my questions without me going into details!
Oct 7, 2015
125 posts
22 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
I recently went through a similar situation as my chimney flue needed to be replaced (single flue chimney). I live in Toronto and called a few of the local masonry companies, all of whom pushed me to rebuild the entire chimney. The estimates ranged from $3500 - $5000. I had a few knowledgeable friends inspect my chimney and they all said the bricks and mortar are in great condition, it was just the flue that needed to be replaced. In the end, I went with a chimney repair person whose ad I found in the local newspaper. He seemed very knowledgeable, patiently answered all my questions, and only charged $400 to replace the flue.

My home was built in 1980, and the chimney consists of 2ft clay flues stacked on top of each other. The guy removed the cement crown, which let him access the top most flue. Chipped away the old flue, replaced it with a new flue, and cemented/siliconed everything back to normal.

Edit: this is what my flue looked like before the repair http://imgur.com/5GQCeXB

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)