Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2373 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto

HELP: Computer problem after installed dotnetfx.exe

I was trying to fix my Iphone at our work computer.

I did these things:

1) added a user account (call it abc) in XP to be able to reverse itunes installation
2) installed dotnetfx.exe downloaded from Microsoft, since DiskAid (some Iphone browsing program) required it

I noticed that my original anonymous computer administrator account disappeared for some reason (and abc became the computer administrator)

Some of our crucial desktop icons disappeared and I'm wondering where the hell they went...

Please help,

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
Which account were you logging into before? And after? If you used to log into the old administrator account that has disappeared, and now you're logging into "abc", then that's likely why your icons are missing (they were part of the old administrator's desktop, not "abc"'s)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2373 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
GSRee wrote: Which account were you logging into before? And after? If you used to log into the old administrator account that has disappeared, and now you're logging into "abc", then that's likely why your icons are missing (they were part of the old administrator's desktop, not "abc"'s)
I'm wondering if I can somehow recover the original computer administrator...
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
aokec wrote: I'm wondering if I can somehow recover the original computer administrator...
When you sign on, do you use the welcome screen (where you see the name and icon of each user), or the old style login box where you manually type the username and password?

If it's the former, I believe that's the problem. I seem to remember something about the built in administrator disappearing from that screen when you add a new administrator. And in that case, I'd suggest disabling the welcome screen. That should allow you to type "Administrator" and the proper password to login as the built in administrator.

There may be a way to get them back on the welcome screen, but I don't have an XP machine to test with anymore.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2373 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
GSRee wrote: When you sign on, do you use the welcome screen (where you see the name and icon of each user), or the old style login box where you manually type the username and password?

If it's the former, I believe that's the problem. I seem to remember something about the built in administrator disappearing from that screen when you add a new administrator. And in that case, I'd suggest disabling the welcome screen. That should allow you to type "Administrator" and the proper password to login as the built in administrator.

There may be a way to get them back on the welcome screen, but I don't have an XP machine to test with anymore.
OK I will try that when I get back to work

thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)