Help with Dishnet in canada

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2011 2:07 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2007
14 posts

Help with Dishnet in canada

Hi there just hoping some satellite genius here can help me out.
If I purchase a dishnet receiver and card, am I able to sign up and pay for a dishnet subscription so long as I provide a US address?
Also I have a viewsat receiver at home that isnt being used, if I have a proper disnet card and subscription could I just put the card in that device and have it work?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2776 posts
164 upvotes
Kingston
Technically, you can't have DN in Canada thanks in part to our lovely CRTC and their crappy regulations that they have. Having said that though, if you can get past the credit check more specifically SSN in the US vs SIN in Canada. If you also have a US address, then you are good to go I would imagine. If you have family in the US that has DN and has a spare slot for another receiver then I would venture that route. Just make sure that the dish isn't in a clearly visual spot as ppl will see that you aren't pointing at 82/91 and whatever sats Shaw (Star Choice) use as that could garner some unwanted attention from the po po's.

As for the viewsat receiver, you should be able to use it, but you should probably go to a FTA site to look that up.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
10777 posts
787 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kcorscadden wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 1:34 pm
Technically, you can't have DN in Canada thanks in part to our lovely CRTC and their crappy regulations that they have. Having said that though, if you can get past the credit check more specifically SSN in the US vs SIN in Canada. If you also have a US address, then you are good to go I would imagine. If you have family in the US that has DN and has a spare slot for another receiver then I would venture that route. Just make sure that the dish isn't in a clearly visual spot as ppl will see that you aren't pointing at 82/91 and whatever sats Shaw (Star Choice) use as that could garner some unwanted attention from the po po's.

As for the viewsat receiver, you should be able to use it, but you should probably go to a FTA site to look that up.
The DN receiver and its access card (CAM) are married to each other and there is no way in hell, that card will work but the original receiver.There have been some very "smart people" attempting to reverse engineer the coding to N3 and after 3.5 years of its running in Europe, they are not any closer than when they started. Even swapping the DN cam with another DN receiver, there will not be a decryption of the signal as the married pair are not matched.
Don't argue with THEM, get EVEN!! ;) :D

RFD's member NewEgg experience
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10908 posts
1323 upvotes
+1. A legit card will not work. Viewsat is for mainly pirate tv use only.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
13541 posts
16107 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 1:34 pm

I think that this is being a little paranoid. I highly doubt anyone is going to study your dish angle to try and guess if it's pointing anywhere besides SC/BEV sats so they can call the cops. Even if they did I doubt the police even give a damn.

Hell the guy down the street from me has 3 unbranded dishes outside his window on the top floor with the cables all running into the window. Clearly visible to ANYONE who goes by. God knows what he is picking up. No one seems to care as it's been that way for a few years now! (only noticed because of the shotty job he did running the cables inside...through the window lol).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2301 posts
167 upvotes
Alberta
BobSagget wrote:
Sep 8th, 2010 9:53 am
I think that this is being a little paranoid. I highly doubt anyone is going to study your dish angle to try and guess if it's pointing anywhere besides SC/BEV sats so they can call the cops. Even if they did I doubt the police even give a damn.

Hell the guy down the street from me has 3 unbranded dishes outside his window on the top floor with the cables all running into the window. Clearly visible to ANYONE who goes by. God knows what he is picking up. No one seems to care as it's been that way for a few years now! (only noticed because of the shotty job he did running the cables inside...through the window lol).
I had 3 dishes on my roof before N3 and all pointing in different directions. All of them were BEV 24" dishes with their logo on them. Everyone can see from the street that I was doing something. Never had a problem because basically, nobody really cares. Only once when I was getting the mail across the street did one of my neighbors ask me why all my BEV dishes were pointing in different directions when his was pointing SE. I told him what I was doing and he asked me if I would help him set it up too. He bought the stuff and I got him up and running.
Sep 23, 2011
1 posts
RICHMOND HILL
rizzle wrote:
Sep 7th, 2010 10:06 am
Hi there just hoping some satellite genius here can help me out.
If I purchase a dishnet receiver and card, am I able to sign up and pay for a dishnet subscription so long as I provide a US address?
Also I have a viewsat receiver at home that isnt being used, if I have a proper disnet card and subscription could I just put the card in that device and have it work?
Try contacting dishnet using a US address & US phone number. American Techs To Go located in Toronto advertise they can subscribe you to dishnet, but don't trust them, they took my money and gave me nothing. It's a scam.
Sep 6, 2006
568 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
I think you're a year too late with your response
× < >