• Oct 21st, 2015 1:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes

Help with ereader purchase

I'd like to purchase an ebook reader; I have a Kobo Mini which I bought used but even with Calibre I have trouble getting some ebooks I've bought to format properly for it. I also have an old iPad that I was using as an ereader but found the surfing and apps too distracting.

I've been out of the loop for ereaders; what would you guys recommend? I typically buy or download from Amazon or the library; or trade with friends so the formats I use vary.

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Only Kobo and Kindle are left in the game. They both use screen packages from eInk and have very similar hardware specs in each generation, so not much to choose there. They have different UIs, but some people prefer one, some prefer the other, and neither makes much difference when you're actually reading a book. They support different ebook ecosystems, but as you know you can convert back and forth with Calibre.

Compared to your old Kobo Mini, with a new model you can get a bigger 6" screen in a package that's barely larger than the Mini, and Kobo offers 6.8" models as well (the larger screen is nice, but they're heavier to hold). Most of the current models have very good built-in screen lighting now, which is a big plus over the Mini. They have better screen contrast and higher resolution in the latest generation, but it's subtle. They're faster, which you'll notice in menus and page turns, so that's a worthwhile improvement.

So probably the best thing you can do is try a couple of models in a store to see if you have a preference. Staples carries both Kobo and Kindle models, although not all Kindle models are sold in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
My Aura HD just died on me, so not so happy with it now. Kobo says "out of warranty, too bad".
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I've had quite a few different ereaders over the years and I liked the KindleHD the best (I use a galaxy tab now and gave the kindle to my mother). But if you found the ipad distracting you'd probably have the same issue with a kindle unless you just went for the paperwhite.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Since I'd already exhausted every reset possibility and it remained frozen, it was going to be a write-off anyway. So I popped the case open (glued and press-fit), managing not to break it. The screen and circuit board are a unit, with an embedded flat battery pack on the back of the board, screwed into the lower case half with 4 screws. The internal memory is actually a 4 Gbyte microSD card in a holder on the circuit board (SanDisk brand). I slid the memory card out, checked it on the computer (looked fine), put it back in, powered up, ereader unfrozen and working again. Looks like it was a bad contact on the microSD card after 2 years in the holder (it just slides in, no spring click or anything). I had to reset before the touch screen started working again, but everything seems fine now. Bad design to use a memory card with nothing securing it in the holder.

No thanks to Kobo's useless tech support...
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
JamesA1 wrote: Since I'd already exhausted every reset possibility and it remained frozen, it was going to be a write-off anyway. So I popped the case open (glued and press-fit), managing not to break it. The screen and circuit board are a unit, with an embedded flat battery pack on the back of the board, screwed into the lower case half with 4 screws. The internal memory is actually a 4 Gbyte microSD card in a holder on the circuit board (SanDisk brand). I slid the memory card out, checked it on the computer (looked fine), put it back in, powered up, ereader unfrozen and working again. Looks like it was a bad contact on the microSD card after 2 years in the holder (it just slides in, no spring click or anything). I had to reset before the touch screen started working again, but everything seems fine now. Bad design to use a memory card with nothing securing it in the holder.

No thanks to Kobo's useless tech support...
To be fair tech support isn't in the business of telling people to open up devices.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
UnCeo wrote: To be fair tech support isn't in the business of telling people to open up devices.
They darn well should be when they put parts that require access inside the case, and their alternative is to tell people to throw it away and buy a new one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
About a month ago, I had an old Kobo wifi get stuck in an updating its software loop. I called tech support and after 5 or 6 attempts to bring it back to life, they gave up. Even though I had bought the unit in 2011, they replaced it for free with a refurb Kobo Touch which is a far better unit. Not bad for something that was out of warrantee for at least 3 years.
Phils
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Quite happy with my Aura which I upgraded to from the mini (which I upgraded from the original Nook).
Nook was a beast. Mini was tiny, but the Aura is not much bigger and the night works really well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Phils wrote: About a month ago, I had an old Kobo wifi get stuck in an updating its software loop. I called tech support and after 5 or 6 attempts to bring it back to life, they gave up. Even though I had bought the unit in 2011, they replaced it for free with a refurb Kobo Touch which is a far better unit. Not bad for something that was out of warrantee for at least 3 years.
When they gave up on my 2-year-old Aura HD, I asked if they had any kind of replacement or upgrade offer. They said no, nothing.

BTW it continues to work fine after re-seating the internal microSD card.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I think in my case, my old reader hardware wasn't broken it wa that their forced firmware update put it into a endless loop. There are so many similar cases on the net that they just assumed the blame. What made my case special is that it was 4 years later.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
I was debating between the new Kobo and the new Kindle Paperwhite 3.

After doing quite a bit of research online, the conclusion I came to was "in terms of reading books, it doesn't really matter, both are excellent products".

I ended up going with the Kindle Paperwhite 3. What tipped the scales for me in favor of Amazon was:

- Excellent warranty coverage
- Excellent customer service
- For the odd times where I actually want to buy book for the device, the books available to purchase on Amazon for the kindle were cheaper and of greater variety
- Amazon's cloud storage storing all my purchased/uploaded books automatically, basically allowing me to take all my books with me where I go so long as I've got WiFi
- Amazon also apparently continues to support all of it's older Kindle readers with new firmware updates years after they stop selling them

I've had my Kindle for about 2 months now and have been very happy with it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)