Art and Photography

help to finde a laptop for video editing?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2019 2:32 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
493 posts
85 upvotes
GTA Ontario

help to finde a laptop for video editing?

Hi,
I am in a need of new laptop for a video editing purposes.
My current laptop is slow, to the point that playing video clip, causes sound stops, but video still going.
I am thinking of getting a gaming laptop, as they are usually loaded to do my editing.
What is your opinion of 17" Razer HD (not 4k one)? How is that "RAZER" company good in laptops?
What I need is to be able edit 4k video (from my NX1 Samsung camera), lots of storage space, good resolution (1900 x 1080 should be enough, or 3800x2200 is a must?)
What is your experience in this matter?
Maybe Dell's xps with a higher resolution, ssd , good graphic/video card (is it the same or there is a 2 different cards, that's someone must be vary about them?)
How about HP laptops, any one would fits my needs.
Is there something I omit in my needs of getting/finding a good laptop for that video purposes.
I am not a pro, just doing some video for my family, and our sports events, where our kids training.
My budget is: say from 1k to 3k all in; depends what's in the system.

Thanks for any input here.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
something with a discrete graphics and 4-cores hyperthreading, 16GB ram min, ideally 32gb

i would not settle for anything less when it comes to video editing, 8GB mem is already limiting for photo editing

razer is fine, kinda overpriced, less for content creation and more for gaming (def an overlap but i wouldnt buy one for your usage)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1498 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal, QC
does it have to be a laptop? for 3k, you can build one hell of a rig or could get both a very good desktop and mid-range laptop
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
493 posts
85 upvotes
GTA Ontario
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 7:21 pm
does it have to be a laptop? for 3k, you can build one hell of a rig or could get both a very good desktop and mid-range laptop
No it does not. Say 2k for pc and 1k for laptop. However, I like portability of a laptop and did not used my pc in year or something like it.
Will check pc's for that purpose.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
Hades Canyon NUC
i7 with Vega graphics

slap in some NVMe SSD and 32GB RAM, pair it with a nice calibrated curved ultrawide and you're golden
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Mar 16, 2011
404 posts
202 upvotes
overpowered amd chips are being announced this month. if you can wait, you might get something much much faster