• Jan 11th, 2019 10:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2010
173 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto

HELP *** GAS DISCONNECTION FOR HOME RENO***

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has had their gas disconnected to do a home demo. What did it cost and were you there to see them do it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
15 replies
Aug 4, 2006
495 posts
176 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
fly_life wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:19 pm
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has had their gas disconnected to do a home demo. What did it cost and were you there to see them do it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Why not just shut it off at the meter? Are you planning on moving the outside gas line?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
Umm I think you need the special key to shut off the meter. And is must be locked out and tagged....
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6154 posts
1772 upvotes
Whitby
Cough wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:22 pm
Umm I think you need the special key to shut off the meter. And is must be locked out and tagged....
Nothing special, adjustable crescent or an open end wrench can turn the valve at the gas meter.

Thinking OP wants the gas line shut off at the street if he's demo'ing the house...that's expensive. Unlike water there is no curb stop on the gas line.
Feb 28, 2018
107 posts
77 upvotes
Waterloo region
if you want the service abandoned due to demolition, the gas company will do it for free.. ( union gas area).. the new service will cost though. $80 per meter...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1730 posts
738 upvotes
GTA
tralexus1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:43 am
if you want the service abandoned due to demolition, the gas company will do it for free.. ( union gas area).. the new service will cost though. $80 per meter...
And then to reconnect you can take 1-2 months depending on re connection wait list.

Also as stated above , if you need gas off just to house do it at the valve at the meter yourself.
Jan 16, 2007
1 posts
1 upvote
I live in Toronto and I had the natural gas disconnected last year for full demo. The cost of disconnection was over $7,000. The fee is regulated by Ontario Energy Board. The lead time required to complete the work was roughly 45 days and no I didn't have to be present at the site for disconnection.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1156 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:22 pm
Any wrench works
[OP]
Sep 24, 2010
173 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I am demolishing the home and was charged almost $4000 and thought that was excessive. Water and Hydro were quick and cheap but gas was almost two months and very expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it takes to do the actual job. I went to the home after the work was done and there was no sign of digging and my neighbour said they were in and out. The gas company made it seem like some huge process and a big crew with a dump truck and backhoe were required plus permits and so on. I feel like I was ripped off. Ontariio Energy Board said it should have been $280 and is investigating.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2010
173 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Did you see the actual work being done? I wanted to know what is involved. Any other tips in general as I move forward?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4725 posts
629 upvotes
Calgary
No-one knows what you mean by or the extent of demolition. Yes it may have included the need to shutoff the main line in if line was removed upstream of your meter. In which case digging and backfill and $4000 may be reasonable or even the $7000 referred to above. But you said there is no sign of digging. If the line to the meter was basically left in place and untouched, then you seem to have been ripped off.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
May 28, 2007
338 posts
98 upvotes
Peterborough
They would have to locare the shutoff ar the street. Dig and shut it off. Then, dig and turn it back on when your done. Hopfully not buried under pavement.
Last edited by Curioprop on Jan 11th, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 28, 2018
107 posts
77 upvotes
Waterloo region
union gas will do the service abandon for free... dig up at street main & abandon the service... I know this for a fact... no idea for other area distributors.. $7000 sounds like a lot, although if the service tee is under sidewalk or worse, the road, then i can see it getting expensive..