• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 7:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
25 posts

Help! How to buy a bed

Many apologies if this thread exists. I searched many times and found pretty much everything except beds.

If it does exist, I'd love a link!

My wife and I need to purchase our first bed next week and we want to make sure we get something good. Obviously we know we should lay down on them and get a feel for what we like, but I'm curious if people have tips on prices especially.

My searches have concluded that May is the perfect time to buy mattresses and beds in general, which works out perfectly for us. But I really know nothing in terms of all the buzz words that the mattress stores use to sell things. What do they all mean? What should I pay more for? How do I not get ripped off? Where's the ultimate best place to shop?

Thanks for your help!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3525 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Don't feel that you need to buy the bed from the same place you buy the mattress. There's nothing special about the beds that SleepCountry etc. sell, so don't let them convince you that you have to overpay for the bed and all the accessories otherwise your mattress won't work.
Sep 8, 2006
549 posts
273 upvotes
Edmonton
Lay on them and see what is most comfortable. Don't buy a pillow top if you want a firm bed and bed longevity.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1031 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
I believe a pillowtop mattress is pretty nice but lie down in one for like 5-10 mins and see if you like it or not. Then there are firm and soft mattresses. My son has a firm mattress with a pillowtop and I have a soft one with a pillowtop. They're both nice actually. I believe most people like soft mattresses but that's just a feeling I got. I have no stats to back that up. Again, lie down on both for like 5-10 mins and see how you feel.

I bought the firm mattress and box spring from Sleep Country during their mix and match sale. The price was pretty good. My father in law bought a mattress and box spring from Costco. The price was really good. The mattress was soft from Costco. I'm not sure if you can choose soft or firm at Costco though. From Costco, you don't get to lie down on the mattresses. You just pick them and buy them.
Last edited by ds2chan on Apr 24th, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Sep 14, 2008
111 posts
61 upvotes
honestly? Just go around and try out the mattresses. Try and haggle, if possible.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8430 posts
1279 upvotes
Markham
I bought my bedroom set at Ashely and the mattress at Badboy.
Haggled both items. lol

But we shopped and went to many furniture places to narrow down what we want and the price of those furniture's.
Do you homework is very important.
You must have some preference and style and a price range in mind.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 24, 2017
41 posts
11 upvotes
I have a couple of the PillowTop beds from Sleep Country and swear by them. I have a 3rd in a guest room that I used for 12 years and it's still in perfect condition.

I dont know if they still partake in this, but one particular Queen size bed, was $2800, the very same model as another one i have, but the second one I picked up there for $1600. At that time if someone did not like a bed they had purchased, they returned it the next day for another.
That bed, used for one night only, was slashed in price, but 100% as good as it was at full price.
I think I read a few years ago but I could be wrong, that they had put an end to that practise for fear of picking up bed bugs from someone's home but dont hold me to that.

Worthwhile asking in one of their main stores if they still have this practise in use.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6692 posts
1156 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought our two mattresses from Ikea. They occasionally have sales.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.