Help - Identify cables coming out of soffit

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:08 am
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
31 posts
Toronto

Help - Identify cables coming out of soffit

Help! New home owner trying to figure out what are these cables. Fingers crossed it's from the previous owner running a security camera (which I'm hoping to do and could re-use the cabling). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Images
  • IMG_5112.JPG
14 replies
Mar 3, 2013
434 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Hi there, this is most definitely electrical wiring. Hard to say if it is live or dead. You should call an electrical contractor and have them check it out.
Enter your postal code in the form in this link https://findacontractor.esasafe.com/ to find one local to you.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
31 posts
Toronto
Ahh. Ok, thanks for the reply and guidance.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1987 posts
288 upvotes
Edmonton
hard to see with such a small pic. Looks like i see a white and black, so romex. use a multimeter to see if its live or not. also if theres more it could be for security camera (they either run rg59 (coax/f-type) or PoE, or i guess possible to use ethernet cable with PoE adapter, so could be for security camera......
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2151 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
Glad we got input from our local Electrician association! /s

Just use a multimeter to see if it's live. Hopefully the breakers are off.

Shout to your wife (or use cell phones) while you operate the meter, and she flicks the breakers.
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3479 posts
279 upvotes
St. John's
My guess, power for a security cam.

Check if it's live. If it is/isn't, turn off the breaker and dig around in the attic.
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Sep 11, 2006
943 posts
152 upvotes
marc_t wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:26 pm
Glad we got input from our local Electrician association! /s
Sarcasm much?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2151 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
DIrty-D wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:35 pm
Sarcasm much?
barely :P
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
31 posts
Toronto
Thanks to everyone for the input. Just tested and it's not live. Got a better pic too while I was up there. Anyone else want to weigh in?
Images
  • IMG_5129.JPG
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3346 posts
2559 upvotes
Toronto
How long ago did you move in? I once had some questions and my agent passed the questions over to the selling agent, who passed the questions over to the previous owner, who gave me a call.

You can speculate, start flipping switches and breakers, hire an electrical contractor, etc. or just see if the previous owner would be willing to answer a few questions. It might be completely disconnected on the other end and hasn't been used for years, etc.

Unless there was some issue with the sale, most people would be happy to answer questions about the place they called home for many years.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
31 posts
Toronto
True. Good point. There's no harm in asking. I'll try that route.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4062 posts
408 upvotes
I'd say from an old light outside, cables where touched by paint brush at one time.,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8025 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thats electrical probably fro a light or something.

If it was for a security camera then it would usually be 1 cable for power & a RG59 cable for video (old style) however if you plan on running cameras now make sure you get the newer style which just use a network cable (cat6) for both video & power. Also have a look at Hikvision cameras they are Very good quality, much better then the junk you will generally find at the big box stores.
davey_au wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:31 pm
Thanks to everyone for the input. Just tested and it's not live. Got a better pic too while I was up there. Anyone else want to weigh in?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4980 posts
909 upvotes
Whitby
Probably is part of a lighting circuit, any breakers off on your panel? Is there a light switch at front hall doing nothing?

Those wires should be capped, might not be live now but you or a future homeowner could unknowingly power them up.
nomdesplumes:

"I wonder if adding extra electrical outlets is considered an electrical installation?"