HELP!! Insurance for modified vehicle

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 3:06 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes

HELP!! Insurance for modified vehicle

I'm looking for the collective help of the RFD community! I'll try to be brief.

I am looking to insure a vehicle that I would like to purchase, a modified Mazda Miata that has a supercharger, aftermarket shocks, exhaust and wheels. I live in Ontario and plan to drive the vehicle during the warmer months only (May-October). I may drive it to work 2 times a week during this time period. I have contacted and been upfront with well over a dozen different brokers/insurance companies and no one is willing to insure this vehicle primarily because of the supercharger. I am a loss at this point and mind boggled at how difficult it is to insure this type of car (given how many modded cars I see on the road). This would be the third vehicle I have ever purchased and the first time I've decided to finally treat myself to a sports car after having been into cars my whole life (I've just always been overly responsible and practical with my prior vehicle purchases).

As some background info, I am a 35 year old male, married with two young children and have two cars we use for commuting. I had one ticket in my life in 2011. At this point I am at a total loss and this is a last ditch effort to see if I can get a reasonably priced insurance policy, not going through Facility Association. I am hoping there may be some RFD'ers that work in the industry that may be able to help.

Not sure if I should list all of the companies I have already contacted, but I've definitely tried all the major ones and a bunch of smaller companies as well.

Any help is appreciated greatly!!!!

EDIT: I have concluded that insuring this car to be driven the way I would like is nearly impossible in the current insurance landscape (outside of Facility). However, I have spoken with Kurtis from Zehr Insurance who is making an attempt to create a product to support these types of vehicles. More info at this link http://www.jdmrides.ca/forum/insurance- ... f92609&amp

Please help out all enthusiasts by filling out his survey to help his business case.
Modified Vehicle Questionnaire
Last edited by jdong23 on May 17th, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
40 replies
Sep 8, 2017
739 posts
575 upvotes
GTA
Try Lant or Hagerty insurance.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1684 posts
429 upvotes
Kitchener
Considering your looking at a miata, neither Lant or Hagerty would insure it as it would be considered too new. Your only option is to contact a broker and have them quote with you FA... they will insure it but your not going to like the price...expect 3x-5x your current rate.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
Already got denied by hagerty, likely because of the driving to work.

Thanks for the info peelhic, but not willing to pay FA rates, i am buying a miata afterall.

Its absolutely mind boggling that being honest with insurance makes things this difficult. It makes me realize insurance wants and expects you to tell the truth, but in a case like this, you would be forced to lie.

And even with the mods, the miata is still slower than probably 90% of the "performance" cars that can be bought off the showroom floor!
Apr 6, 2008
570 posts
223 upvotes
Is the supercharger factory or aftermarket? I had a Miata and planned on installing a supercharger. I ended up giving up and selling it before doing it for the exact same reasons. From the insurance hassles, to the stigma with "street racing" and cop hassles including "random" equipment inspections, as well as new safety standards that basically does not allow ANY aftermarket parts, I decided it wasn't worth it.

For 10 grand you could buy yourself a motorcycle that will roast any car including exotics. Or, you could buy a track dedicated car. Not many options.

Yes you could buy a factory car that is faster than your Miata but a new car such as a hellcat has been properly tested, crash tested, etc based on factory condition. Your Miata might have cut springs, a supercharger that makes the tires spin, etc that cause it to be much more unsafe, they don't know that.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
Its an aftermarket unit by Flyin Miata which is a well known company, but obviously makes no difference to insurance. I do get where you and the insurers are coming from, that any modification can be considered dangerous. Its just my observation that the automotive tuning community is relatively large and lots of people have modified vehicles that its shocking that I can't get insured without paying out my ass.

If this doesn't work out and I really can't find non-FA insurance, then I will likely get a stock MIata, which is what I was originally looking to get. However, it was just nice that this supercharged example came along and really caught my eye.
Sep 8, 2017
739 posts
575 upvotes
GTA
jdong23 wrote:
May 17th, 2018 9:39 pm
Already got denied by hagerty, likely because of the driving to work.
Gotcha. Missed that in the OP. That'll do it. I went through this with my modified 240SX. I came to realize there is no way to insure a modified, or special interest car honestly and for it's market value and still use it as a daily driver.

I recall one of the two I mentioned offer "Modified" insurance for cars that are 25+ years old, like my 240SX was. But all of the stipulations would limit that to being a weekend car, used purely for pleasure. I remember there being a clause like you can't even leave it parked at a shopping centre. And it had to be in a closed garage when parking at your home overnight.

You mentioned how many modified cars you see on the road. The truth is, none of them have declared the modifications to their providers. Just something happens and they need the insurance. You can be damn sure the provider will try to deny the claim on the basis of the car being modified.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
I did the online quote on the Hagerty website. Through that process, I made the mistake of declaring the driving to work more than 20 times a year, as the online process didn't indicate that would be an issue with getting insured. But once I submitted and followed up with them on the phone, it became abundantly clear I should not have checked that box. I even requested if I could be insured if I did not drive it to work. But as the rumours go, once you mention it to insurance, it was already too late, they still wouldn't insure me because "they want me to enjoy the car how I want to". That's worked out real well so far, lol.
Mar 17, 2006
419 posts
117 upvotes
Hey OP. I know this is not what you asked, but why don't you get something with a stock supercharger if you want some juice. At your age and driving record, it shouldn't be too expensive for a summer car. I drive a Mini Cooper S convertible (supercharged) in the summer. I pay about 200$ a year (full coverage) as a third car. I know not as reliable as a Miata, but it will seat two small children in the back fairly comfortably. Your kids will love you for ever,
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
because racecar...

but in honesty, every online forums talks about the "answer is always miata". As a first sports car, i want to experience the "definitive" dynamics of a lightweight, great handling rwd vehicle. The NA and NB miatas are too old and cramped for my taste, the ND is more than I want to spend, and the FRS/BRZ/86 are just not a Miata. Granted the supercharger is not a pure miata experience either, but to me its an enhancer and doesn't negatively affect the driving dynamics.

My whole plan was to have this as the first car that can provide me with a great base to judge other cars whenever I decide to upgrade to something faster, better and more expensive down the road. Like I said, a stock NC is definitely still on the table, but at this point, the supercharged NC is sort of wanting what you can't have.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2023 posts
1265 upvotes
Why not just stay factory and get a mazdaspeed miata?
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
Mazdaspeed was only in the NB generation and I've sat it one and it feels way too small, even though I'm only 5'8.
Sep 8, 2017
739 posts
575 upvotes
GTA
I tried sitting in an ND as CIAS last year, and I could only get one leg in lol
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
26 posts
12 upvotes
I took a look at Lant and will give them a try. In the end, not driving the car to work isn't a deal breaker.
Dec 14, 2007
636 posts
119 upvotes
Is it mainly because of the supercharger? Is modified other parts ok? Like exhaust, springs, wheels, brakes seats, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)