HELP!! Insurance for modified vehicle

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2018 3:06 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Something to consider for next time, I guess... Personally, that's one of the things I do when I consider purchasing a vehicle. Call for an insurance quote.

C
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
Hagerty was the only one that had given a rate before denying me. No one else would even provide a rate. All the underwriters immediately say no. I havent pushed for an FA cost, but I know it would be way than id be willing to spend.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
jdong23 wrote: Hagerty was the only one that had given a rate before denying me. No one else would even provide a rate. All the underwriters immediately say no. I havent pushed for an FA cost, but I know it would be way than id be willing to spend.
If you're replying to me, that would have been the first clue when calling around. If you're replying to someone else, sorry about your luck (HINT: The "Reply with Quote" function removes ambiguity). Sounds like a fun car, even if you can only drive it on the weekends or something.

C
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
I was replying to vkizzle, but no worries C, i havent actually bought or put a deposit on the car. So im not out anything, just disappointed.
Nov 24, 2004
182 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
While I feel sorry for the OP, this is exactly what would happen in a private insurance world -- no provider is willing to touch something like that with a 10 foot pole.

As an enthusiast in BC, this is also why I think ICBC is still superior to private insurance even though ICBC is crappy in a whole lot of different ways.
What God has united, let men not divide.
Heat
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
jdong23 wrote: I was replying to vkizzle, but no worries C, i havent actually bought or put a deposit on the car. So im not out anything, just disappointed.
I can imagine... Seems like a silly rule, but they (the insurance companies) are the ones that make them...

C
Feb 24, 2004
392 posts
139 upvotes
jdong23 wrote: Hagerty was the only one that had given a rate before denying me. No one else would even provide a rate. All the underwriters immediately say no. I havent pushed for an FA cost, but I know it would be way than id be willing to spend.
What is FA cost?
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
I requested an FA cost with my current broker 2 days ago but they haven't followed up yet. Honestly, I don't think they will bother looking further into it unless I hound them, which I dont plan to. Reason being based on the Hagerty price I was quoted ($920) and another broker who gave me a quote when he thought the supercharger was a factory addon ($1700), there would be no way the FA rate would be remotely within consideration whatever it might be.

For a relatively cheap miata, $1000/year is around the reasonable mark that I'd be comfortable paying for a car that would only get driven 5 months and 5-6000kms a year.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
I bet that is why the car is cheap/available...whoever had it before either lost insurance or couldn't get it after being modified so they got rid of it. I say go for a stock mazdaspeed, or get a different car if you require more power.
Jun 1, 2017
226 posts
144 upvotes
Heres how to beat the insurance for aftermarket mods

1: buy the slow version of the fast car you want
2: swap the parts over
3: ???
4: profit because the insurance cant say its aftermarket/modded

I asked my insurance company (rbc/aviva) and they said that as long as the car came with it (even a different trim level) its fine.

I asked because im turbo swapping my 89' rx7 convertible but they never came turbo (not in North America anyways) and only in the coupe the turbo was available.

faster car, cheap insurance.
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
Well, here's the car I was looking at, its still available.
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/miata ... J6&sprx=-1

I took a look and the car was super clean. Looked underneath and it was obviously never driven in the winter. Didn't get to drive it unfortunately as never put down a deposit. Original owner didn't leave any info in the car so don't know about this car's specific power numbers.

However, it has the Flyin Miata supercharger and their website has a dyno sheet. 229 HP and 207 Torque to the wheels. That's not including the exhaust this car has.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/flyin-miata- ... ystem.html

If an RFD'er happens to buy this thing, maybe they'll be nice enough to give me a ride! :)
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
Fusion,
I guess I meant cheap as in its sub-30k. Definitely wouldn't say the car is cheap, looked at the engine bay, I suspect the supercharger was professionally installed as it looked very clean.

NoPistons,
Reason I liked this example was all the work and expense was already put in so it was a great value to me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
jdong23 wrote: Well, here's the car I was looking at, its still available.
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/miata ... J6&sprx=-1

I took a look and the car was super clean. Looked underneath and it was obviously never driven in the winter. Didn't get to drive it unfortunately as never put down a deposit. Original owner didn't leave any info in the car so don't know about this car's specific power numbers.

However, it has the Flyin Miata supercharger and their website has a dyno sheet. 229 HP and 207 Torque to the wheels. That's not including the exhaust this car has.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/flyin-miata- ... ystem.html

If an RFD'er happens to buy this thing, maybe they'll be nice enough to give me a ride! :)
What a shame, as that's a very clean Miata.
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks Bianco, one of the brokers I spoke with also mentioned Zehr. However, looking at their website regarding their Classics program. I doubt the 09 Miata fits into their target segment.

However, thanks for everyone's help! I'm happy to report I did just check out a stock 2011 Miata in the same Stormy Blue paint and owned by a very nice 70 years young lady and I've put down a deposit! This vehicle was also never winter driven and very well taken care of. But even so, it was not nearly as clean in the engine bay and underbody as the supercharged example. It made me realize that owner took really good care it!

I'm glad I found this new Miata but still very sad I can't get the one I had my eye on and also still peeved insurance is punishing me for being honest!!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
jdong23 wrote: Thanks Bianco, one of the brokers I spoke with also mentioned Zehr. However, looking at their website regarding their Classics program. I doubt the 09 Miata fits into their target segment.
Zehr also offers a special interest and collector car (limited production and rare model) program as well, which is not based on age. I have a sports car under this policy, at the time when I switched over to Zehr the car was 11 years old. It might be an option but if you plan to drive the car to work 2-3 times a week, this will probably be a deal breaker. Again it doesn't hurt to see what they can offer you.
Feb 28, 2008
27 posts
12 upvotes
I called Zehr Insurance and had a great and insightful conservation with Kurtis who had made the jdmrides post above. In short, he confirmed that there is a gap in the market for new-ish modified vehicles and this Miata would not be covered in the way I would want it to be. However, as his post stated, he is trying to fill that gap and has requested people fill out a short survey to help make his case.

I am shilling for his cause:
Modified Vehicle Questionnaire
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
jdong23 wrote: I called Zehr Insurance and had a great and insightful conservation with Kurtis who had made the jdmrides post above. In short, he confirmed that there is a gap in the market for new-ish modified vehicles and this Miata would not be covered in the way I would want it to be. However, as his post stated, he is trying to fill that gap and has requested people fill out a short survey to help make his case.

I am shilling for his cause:
Modified Vehicle Questionnaire
Out of curiosity, would he even offer 3rd party liability on modified cars? I can understand why they may not provide full coverage.