Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
18 posts
1 upvote

Help with Interac E-Transfer!

Hi everyone,

I am trying to complete a transaction with someone on RFD.

I sent my money from TD to his email address.
However, he is having trouble withdrawing the money, he gets the error "Interac E-Transfer Failure. Error: Sorry. That function is not currently available. You can give it another try or give us a call at 1-800-568-2190"

The seller called the number and said it was my problem on my end.
So I called TD and TD said it was a problem on the seller's end.
These banks are just throwing blame at each other ...

Anyone got experience with this type of error?
12 replies
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
18 posts
1 upvote
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2013 3:47 am
Is it possible that you might have been scammed? Not entirely sure how EMT works but usually it works.
I don't think so... because he is still replying and we're still trying to figure out what is the problem.

And he hasn't got the money yet either!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2830 posts
1033 upvotes
No worries about you being scammed, E-transfer is absolutely safe. However...

I have used it on only 10 occasions or so, sending and receiving (half of each) and had serious ssues on two occasions. Your banks have to contact Certapay to determine what the issue is, Certapay is the service provider for e-Transfer (formerly known as interac transfer or something like that)

If the monies have been debited from the senders account, it is likely an issue at the receivers end, as he got the message, the receiver should call his bank, and have them and Certapay resolve it. Probably has to do with a first time use security freeze or some foolishness
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22593 posts
4431 upvotes
Waterloo
Ask him to try to deposit to different bank account and see if error still happens?
e.g. if he tried TD and got the error, try ING or other banks (if he has them of course)

I did 2 EMT on Thursday, sent $40 (from ING), received $130 (into ING), all worked fine
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1229 posts
403 upvotes
Edmonton
Its not you. TD Interact E-Tranfser as well as PC Financial E-Transfer is down. I tried doing one on PC and it kept erroring and same thing with TD. Alot of friends are complaining about TD being down so must be global.

Wait till after the weekend and hopefully its resolved by them. Maybe hackers took it down
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2982 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What the heck is going on with TD lately. It seems there's nothing but problems with them.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1860 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge
a lot of e transfers systems have been down and/or having problems lately .
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8233 posts
1171 upvotes
You should cancel the e-transfer and send a new one. Could just be a glitch. Also, make sure the person's computer is set to accept cookies as this also could be an issue to for the transfer.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1826 posts
375 upvotes
Markham
is this normal for an interac e-transfer? first time using it

This INTERAC e-TransferRegistered trademark symbol payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the postage reference/tracking number is sent to us for verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.
Send postage tracking number to us or email us through this e-mail tracking_depts@accountant.com our Customer security service center will attend to you. As soon as you send us the postage tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account and a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" INTERAC e-TransferRegistered trademark symbol Team will be send to you with the PAYMENT REFERENCE NUMBER needed to check and withdraw your payment from the link above:

EDIT: nvm, i did a quick google on interac requiring shipping tracking number, and it seems like its a SCAM

http://www.taigeair.com/canadian-intera ... sfer-scam/
Mar 15, 2009
310 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
That last email looks like a scam email... How would the interac e-transfer service even know you sold something to someone as opposed to just sending money to a friend, relative etc? And why would their email address be @accountant.com LOL..

Paypal does this sort of thing usually with new accounts involved in large transactions, for example if it's your first ebay sale they'll hold the money until they know the item has been delivered. It can be annoying but makes sense as they're owned by and integrated with eBay. It makes no sense that Interac/Certapay is also doing this without knowing any details of the transaction, not to mention that email address appears to be a dead giveaway that something isn't legit here....
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
1826 posts
375 upvotes
Markham
michaelcfa wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2013 11:55 am
That last email looks like a scam email... How would the interac e-transfer service even know you sold something to someone as opposed to just sending money to a friend, relative etc? And why would their email address be @accountant.com LOL..

Paypal does this sort of thing usually with new accounts involved in large transactions, for example if it's your first ebay sale they'll hold the money until they know the item has been delivered. It can be annoying but makes sense as they're owned by and integrated with eBay. It makes no sense that Interac/Certapay is also doing this without knowing any details of the transaction, not to mention that email address appears to be a dead giveaway that something isn't legit here....
yes, thats true

i moused over the email address in the original email and it doesnt even match the email address. its like something@in.com

good thing i didnt send anything out yet. i had a weird feeling right from the first few texts.
for one, the address she gave me was listed as City: Montreal, State: Quebec
lots of weird unexplained things
Mar 15, 2009
310 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
After doing a Google search of these scammers a few of them have sent or been asked to send goods to these addresses:

Emad Alkhatib 86 Pauline Cres London ON N6E2L3
Layith Al-harfi 1095 Jalna Blvd Unit 40 London ON N6E 2Y7

Definitely best to avoid these transactions!