• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2017 10:49 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary

Help for Kid Moving to Kelowna - currently on Freedom in Calgary

My 18 year old is leaving the nest to seek his fortune in Kelowna. He is on Freedom prepaid, some $30/mo plan with 5G of data. I don't think it's cost effective for him to keep in in Kelowna as he will be roaming all the time. He has told me he really just needs data, and can live without text/call. So that means the petrocan $15/mo plan is not really needed, if he can get the Fido data (3G for $15/mo) at least at first. Then see how his usage is. I am wondering if there are any other options I should be looking at, as he really will be on a starvation budget considering his new $12.50/hr job... TIA
20 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Why not get the SK or QC plan on Koodo? Seems like a no-brainer.

Your kid should move to Ontario (or to whatever province happens to be more awesome for minimum wage jobs). Minimum wage in Ontario will soon be $15 per hour.

Lolz to those downvoting this post.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 5th, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
titaniumtux wrote: Why not get the SK or QC plan on Koodo? Seems like a no-brainer.

Your kid should move to Ontario. Minimum wage will soon be $15 per hour.
Because he can't afford $50/mo and doesn't need text/voice. I guess he will have to live with Fido $15/mo for 2G for now. And wifi it for the rest.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
kotoula wrote: Because he can't afford $50/mo and doesn't need text/voice. I guess he will have to live with Fido $15/mo for 2G for now. And wifi it for the rest.
In that case port Freewind number to Fongo :)
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
Do you know how much data he'll use per month and does he need LTE speeds?

Another option is TbayTel's prepaid....$125/yr for 20gb of HSPA data (4G speeds) and it roams on Roger's network outside of thunderbay (no roaming charges).

If he doesn't need speed, then this is another option and will last longer. And if he does find he needs SMS, Tbaytel SMS packages are cheap...

More info here:
tbaytel-prepaid-data-125-20gb-365-day-expiry-1397855/
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@kotoula how is he going to survive on $500 a week? He needs to pay for transportation, food, and rent.

For $12.50 an hour, he's better off staying in Alberta and working at McDonalds
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote: @kotoula how is he going to survive on $500 a week? He needs to pay for transportation, food, and rent.

For $12.50 an hour, he's better off staying in Alberta and working at McDonalds
His rent and food, car ins and gas etc should be around $1000/mo. If he's earning $2000/mo he will have a little leftover hopefully lol. Adulting is hard lol.

How is it any better in AB? Economy is tanking here, no future here at all IMO. I've encouraged all of my 5 sons to move away, so far 3 have listened.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
ji2o0k wrote: Do you know how much data he'll use per month and does he need LTE speeds?

Another option is TbayTel's prepaid....$125/yr for 20gb of HSPA data (4G speeds) and it roams on Roger's network outside of thunderbay (no roaming charges).

If he doesn't need speed, then this is another option and will last longer. And if he does find he needs SMS, Tbaytel SMS packages are cheap...

More info here:
tbaytel-prepaid-data-125-20gb-365-day-expiry-1397855/
Yes I had thought about getting him the TbayTel option, wasn't sure if it was still doable, as that thread is pretty old. His dad lives in MB so he can legally sign up for a MB plan on one of his visits to pop, but he said he will see how freedom works with roaming first, as he needs a phone when he gets there, and he's prepaid so he won't get any large bill surprises. Fido Data will ultimately be better I think as he will use 2G a month at least and TbayTel only has 1.6 G a month if you divide it by 12. The kid is used to having 5g a month, so it will be a shock for sure. I'm hoping he can use my Shaw to go wifi in Kelowna.. I think they have Shaw there.

It's too bad we have to jump thru so many hoops just to get 'affordable basic' cell service in this country. Kelowna is full of Aussies and they all complain about Canada's ridiculous mobile plans and prices. Triple what they pay in Aus.
Aug 17, 2017
230 posts
220 upvotes
just putting in my two cents. He could get a data only plan on Public Mobile.

90 Days and 18GB of data (at 3G speeds) for $136 every 90 days (around $45 a month). Add auto pay and it goes down to $130 every 90 days
Edit: 90 Days and 6GB at 3G speeds for $106 every 90 days (around $35 a month). Goes down to $100 every 90 days with autopay
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
xCameron94x wrote: just putting in my two cents. He could get a data only plan on Public Mobile.

90 Days and 18GB of data (at 3G speeds) for $136 every 90 days (around $45 a month). Add auto pay and it goes down to $130 every 90 days
Edit: 90 Days and 6GB at 3G speeds for $106 every 90 days (around $35 a month). Goes down to $100 every 90 days with autopay
Yeah once we are talking $45/mo then he might as well get the SK MB koodo thing. The $35/mo option on PM is 2G a month, and Fido has that for $15/mo so he'd be way better off with that for just data.

He is only making $12.50/hr so yeah every penny counts lol. He is *hoping* to secure an electrical apprenticeship, but that might be tough considering the area and the surplus of under employed youth. He can't get one in AB at the moment either, so might as well try for BC.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kotoula wrote: His rent and food, car ins and gas etc should be around $1000/mo. If he's earning $2000/mo he will have a little leftover hopefully lol. Adulting is hard lol.

How is it any better in AB? Economy is tanking here, no future here at all IMO. I've encouraged all of my 5 sons to move away, so far 3 have listened.
It's better because he won't have rent and mom provides food.

Not sure where in AB you are located, but for a province that has no sales tax, how bad can it be?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote: It's better because he won't have rent and mom provides food.

Not sure where in AB you are located, but for a province that has no sales tax, how bad can it be?
My workplace, an EPC went from 1000 to 300 employees. Then a 15% salary cut. Now multiply that tines several thousand more workplaces. Nutley and True Dope will finish off this place. I'm leaving too as soon as I sell the house. Cow Town.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
kotoula wrote: My workplace, an EPC went from 1000 to 300 employees. Then a 15% salary cut. Now multiply that tines several thousand more workplaces. Nutley and True Dope will finish off this place. I'm leaving too as soon as I sell the house. Cow Town.
I thought AB was on its way to recovery, Calgary shouldn't be hit as hard as the rest of the province.

Consider Ontario, the liberal idiots here have sold off our utility, artificially kept costs the same which will eventually come and bite us in the ass.

Still they promise to increase minimum wage to $15 which will jack up the cost for everything, but still manage to crash the real estate market.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gee wrote: I thought AB was on its way to recovery, Calgary shouldn't be hit as hard as the rest of the province.

Consider Ontario, the liberal idiots here have sold off our utility, artificially kept costs the same which will eventually come and bite us in the ass.

Still they promise to increase minimum wage to $15 which will jack up the cost for everything, but still manage to crash the real estate market.
This chaos in Ontario is entertaining to say the least. Cost of living (with the exception of sales tax) is still much lower than AB. GTA real estate market needs to be shaken up before it reaches Vancouver's mess.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
titaniumtux wrote: This chaos in Ontario is entertaining to say the least. Cost of living (with the exception of sales tax) is still much lower than AB. GTA real estate market needs to be shaken up before it reaches Vancouver's mess.
Prime rate is at 1%, there is a possibility that there could be another rate increase next month. We're closing the gap with the US dollar, it looks like Toronto real estate is gong to stall and crash within the next 24 months.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Until he figures out a new plan, he can at least use any shaw wifi hotspot in town with freedom wifi. There are quite a few, according to the map.
Could be a reasonable compromise as a temp solution until something more permanent is figured out. But sticking with freedom long term and paying roaming probably isn't a good idea unless they announce expansion of service there in the immediate future.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Wow, this has become an off topic political discussion. If data is the only thing needed, the Tbaytel plan is the way to go. At just over $7 per gig and no expiry, there isn't anything out there that is better. I still hang onto my plan and use it when traveling. It gets used where the wifi is crap or not available.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
will888 wrote: Wow, this has become an off topic political discussion. If data is the only thing needed, the Tbaytel plan is the way to go. At just over $7 per gig and no expiry, there isn't anything out there that is better. I still hang onto my plan and use it when traveling. It gets used where the wifi is crap or not available.
That's the RFD way! Get free insider political info with your question lol. The main point is, the kid needs as cheap as possible, so that means he'll definitely have to use Shaw Wifi to go hotspots whenever possible. He gets free internet in his rental place thankfully, so he won't die at least lol.

@will888 how do you figure TBayTel data is better than the fido $15/mo for 2 Gigs plan? You have to jump thru a pile of hoops, I don't know if I can even get a sim card for it, whereas he can sign up for Fido there in Kelowna for $7.50/gig? What am I missing? Sure the bonus promotion of 3 gigs would be nice, and hopefully he can take advantage when they promote that again. As far as I understand he can get this FIDO plan as a standalone 'tablet' data plan and doesn't need to sign up for some other plan for voice/text.

The beauty of PayG with Freedom is that he at least won't incur a surprise bill, instead his account will just stop working until he pays for it.

Calgary housing is still in the cr@pper. Hasn't recovered but on a bright note it's more affordable now than ever!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
kotoula wrote: That's the RFD way! Get free insider political info with your question lol. The main point is, the kid needs as cheap as possible, so that means he'll definitely have to use Shaw Wifi to go hotspots whenever possible. He gets free internet in his rental place thankfully, so he won't die at least lol.

@will888 how do you figure TBayTel data is better than the fido $15/mo for 2 Gigs plan? You have to jump thru a pile of hoops, I don't know if I can even get a sim card for it, whereas he can sign up for Fido there in Kelowna for $7.50/gig? What am I missing? Sure the bonus promotion of 3 gigs would be nice, and hopefully he can take advantage when they promote that again. As far as I understand he can get this FIDO plan as a standalone 'tablet' data plan and doesn't need to sign up for some other plan for voice/text.

The beauty of PayG with Freedom is that he at least won't incur a surprise bill, instead his account will just stop working until he pays for it.

Calgary housing is still in the cr@pper. Hasn't recovered but on a bright note it's more affordable now than ever!
@kotoula , on a usage per dollar basis, the pricing is about the same. The advantage of Tbaytel is that there are no restrictions on how many gigs you use in a month and any purchased data doesn't expire as long as you top up to keep the account active. This flexibility is worth something. I use my Tbaytel data only when I travel. My usage far exceeds 2 gigs within a one month window. I burned about 8 gigs in 10 days on my last trip. Using the Fido tablet plan, I would incur huge overage charges. I won't be using my Tbaytel plan again until my next trip and that could be a month from now or 6 months from now. This doesn't matter because the data will be there when I do use it. In your son's case, his usage is likely to be far more level than mine. However, there is still the 2 gig limit each month.

As far as getting the SIM is concerned, it is still possible via RFD member. The pricing has gone up a lot from the early days, so it takes a bit longer to extract value from going this route.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
I should have put together a group buy to pick up sims when I passed through tbay this summer :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)