• Aug 24th, 2012 10:31 am
Tags:
None
Jun 14, 2009
16 posts
TO

Help with Laptop/Ultrabook

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a Laptop/Ultrabook for school that's starting in a few weeks.

The things I'm looking for are:
Good screen (1600x900 at least)
Decent keyboard (not too picky about these)
Decent trackpad (preferably with 2 finger scroll)

I've looked at a few laptops already and haven't yet made a decision. Those laptops/ultrabooks are:
Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A
Sony Vaio S13 Premium
Sony Vaio S15
ThinkPad X1 Carbon

I'm going to use this laptop for the general things really:
Word Processing (Word, Excel, PPT)
Internet
Light Gaming (Integrated graphics should be enough)
Light Photoshop

My preferred size is 13.3-14 inches but the Sony 15 is very light for a 15 inch laptop so I have included. If anyone else has laptop suggestions that's fine too (just has to be light and portable enough to carry daily).

I'm looking for good deals for any of these laptops (I see the ThinkPad one in the Hot Deals forum). Just looking to see which is going to be the cheapest right now.

Also, if any of you have opinions as to which I would like to buy, please do give them as I really can't decide right now.

Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1202 posts
206 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _15_5.html

i'm seriously considering getting this one. it's just perfect. powerful, light, IPS screen...if you order from sonystyle.ca, it comes with a free Walkman Z 16gb PMP (Android-based walkman, retail $300)

the only downside is that people on forums complain about the red levels looking more like orange
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
Sony S is a good choice. I personally would go with a Lenovo X1 Carbon with currently promo.

personally I'm waiting for Window 8 and Surface Pro.

Also Samsung 9 is beyond sexy, you might have to buy second-handed to get it within a good price range.

I like to go to Cnet or even PCmag and read reviews. Look at the those review scores and then pick the one that fits you.
Aug 1, 2012
249 posts
22 upvotes
BC
I have a lenovo X220,but I think the Asus is better.good screen(1920x1080),only 1.3Kg,i7......
Asus UX31A
Aug 1, 2012
249 posts
22 upvotes
BC
badh2o wrote: I have a lenovo X220,but I think the Asus is better.good screen(1920x1080),only 1.3Kg,i7......
Asus UX31A
by the way,the sony s15 is weak with case,and 2Kg
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
1920x1080 is too small for ultrabooks (especially 11-15")
1600x900 is the sweet spot imo
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
love it when price is not a factor for deciding a notebook for school...wish i was like that back in the day..
I recommend adding Samsung Series 9 on your short list and its $100 off in bb and can be pricematch to ncix/me/cc/fs

One thing to note on the Asus ultrabook is that the track pad is not so good compared to your other choices.
Jun 14, 2009
16 posts
TO
discostupid wrote: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _15_5.html

i'm seriously considering getting this one. it's just perfect. powerful, light, IPS screen...if you order from sonystyle.ca, it comes with a free Walkman Z 16gb PMP (Android-based walkman, retail $300)

the only downside is that people on forums complain about the red levels looking more like orange
I've heard about the red being orange thing. I'm going to go see one in store to see how bad it is. The walkman is decent, but I'd really prefer the sheet battery (I'd have no use for a walkman).
kingofwale wrote: Sony S is a good choice. I personally would go with a Lenovo X1 Carbon with currently promo.

Also Samsung 9 is beyond sexy, you might have to buy second-handed to get it within a good price range.

I like to go to Cnet or even PCmag and read reviews. Look at the those review scores and then pick the one that fits you.
S9 is really beautiful, but probably too expensive for me.
spena wrote: love it when price is not a factor for deciding a notebook for school...wish i was like that back in the day..
I recommend adding Samsung Series 9 on your short list and its $100 off in bb and can be pricematch to ncix/me/cc/fs

One thing to note on the Asus ultrabook is that the track pad is not so good compared to your other choices.
Hmmm, I could consider it at $100 off. Wasn't considering it originally because I was trying to spend less than $1200 (guess I forgot that in the first post :P).

And yes, the Zenbook Prime's trackpad is disappointing, as well as the screen back light bleed.

Do you know if RAM/SSD is upgradeable or replaceable on the S9? I haven't done much research on the S9...

PS: What store is ME?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
Sony S is a perfect computer if the orange gate problem is fixed, I'm not sure how bad it is though... otherwise for ~$1150 you got i7-ivy-4 cores, a ok dedicated video card, light weight, beautiful design, good brand, 1080p, backlit ENGLISH keyboard. rly cannot complain (I'm biased for Japanese stuff though!)
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
28 upvotes
TORONTO
kingofwale wrote: Sony S is a good choice. I personally would go with a Lenovo X1 Carbon with currently promo.

+1
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes
Some many choices. I've narrowed down to 3 choices.
1. Samsung Series 9 15" - light, large screen = better productivity
2. Zenbook Prime - arguable has the best display
3. Thinkpad Carbon X1 - best keyboard
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1069 posts
100 upvotes
spena wrote: pretty good deal. was about to pull the trigger but I really like the zenbook ud32vd
So tempted...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)