Computers & Electronics

"Help" LCD TV problem after the thunder storm yesterday!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2008 10:21 am
Tags:
None
Dec 19, 2006
301 posts
3 upvotes

"Help" LCD TV problem after the thunder storm yesterday!!!

I am having a Vewsonic 3751 TV more than a year..and yesterday there is a power outage due to the thunder storm.

after the power outage, all the HDMI input on the TV are not working.

i have my Cable box and dvd player connect to HDMI1 and HDMI2 since day 1 ...but after the outage it just giving me a big blue screen.

but if i connect the dvd player and cable box to the AV or S-video..

then everything is working fine.

and my TV was not even turn on during the outage .

Anyone knows what happen???? :cry:

other than that...
Also my rogers home phone modem and internet modem are fried due to the power outage..... :mad: but rogers will replace a new one for me.
18 replies
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Your electronics are still drawing current regardless if it's turned on or not; as long as it's still plugged in, there's a conduit present.

I think you may be SOL.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Nov 22, 2007
424 posts
3 upvotes
Barrie
pookie3330 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 9:37 am
I am having a Vewsonic 3751 TV more than a year..and yesterday there is a power outage due to the thunder storm.

after the power outage, all the HDMI input on the TV are not working.

i have my Cable box and dvd player connect to HDMI1 and HDMI2 since day 1 ...but after the outage it just giving me a big blue screen.

but if i connect the dvd player and cable box to the AV or S-video..

then everything is working fine.

and my TV was not even turn on during the outage .

Anyone knows what happen???? :cry:

other than that...
Also my rogers home phone modem and internet modem are fried due to the power outage..... :mad: but rogers will replace a new one for me.

There is a reason they invented powere surge protection for power bars.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1445 posts
Perhaps you need to call Rogers to have them perform a restart on your cable box.
yao416 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 3:29 pm
Dont want to ruin our neighborship, but if I have to, I will! :evil:
gmark2000 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 6:24 am
Are you inventing words to compensate for your limited vocabulary and grammar?
robertalan wrote:
Jul 19th, 2008 7:32 am
"Neighborship" (or "neighbourship") is a real word, it's in my Oxford dictionary, and also online at Dictionary.com - so someone is indeed compensating for their limited vocabulary, but it ain't yao416!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2005
3302 posts
2 upvotes
Yup.. a surge protector may or may not have protected your stuff. Best bet is to invest in a UPS. Look into APC or Belkin, they have models which are powerbar shaped and not too large.

ie: http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

Should cost you $30-100, depending on capacity and whether it's on sale.

Everything in my apartment worth more than $50 is plugged into either one of those or the big ass UPS I use for my computer, except for kitchen appliances.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10456 posts
1048 upvotes
More than a surge protector, you should have a surge/spike protector at the power panel that covers AC, the coax and the telco lines.

Costs a couple of hundred bucks, but the repairs to that tv are going to be twice that or more easily.

The surge likely happened on the Cable (COAX) line. His Rogers phone and cable modems both got hit. Odds are his cable box took a spike as well and passed it along to the tv...

You were using a good quality surge protector, right? Something that has a connected equipment guarantee?

Search out to find the factory service menu option for the tv, do a factory reset, and test with another HDMI source, pick up a cheap HDMI dvd player and see if the problem is still there.

If it is cooked, find a viewsonic repair shop, and get ready to spend a few hundred dollars.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2006
301 posts
3 upvotes
i did have a power surge protector....and also...if the TV is fried....isn't it the whole tv suppose to be dead or something??

but now...only the HDMI input are not working....other than that...the TV is fine with AV,Compoents....etc...

if it's got fried...will this be the case??
[OP]
Dec 19, 2006
301 posts
3 upvotes
pookie3330 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 2:45 pm
i did have a power surge protector....and also...if the TV is fried....isn't it the whole tv suppose to be dead or something??

but now...only the HDMI input are not working....other than that...the TV is fine with AV,Compoents....etc...

if it's got fried...will this be the case??

and my DVD player and rogers Cable box is working good while i am not connecting them thur the HDMI input at the TV
Dec 17, 2004
421 posts
Toronto
Can a satellite dish mounted in your home also give surge signal?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7475 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lalchi wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 2:52 pm
Can a satellite dish mounted in your home also give surge signal?
yes
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7741 posts
147 upvotes
have you tried unplugging you tv for a few mins? if its only an issue with your HDMI ports on your tv it maybe a software error
Dec 17, 2004
421 posts
Toronto
sickcars wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 3:28 pm
yes
But it takes current from the receiver to operate and that too low voltage. How can it unless receiver does something wrong.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2006
301 posts
3 upvotes
nano wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 3:30 pm
have you tried unplugging you tv for a few mins? if its only an issue with your HDMI ports on your tv it maybe a software error

i hope it is just a software error....i will try to do that tonight and also reset to all manufacture setting ....see if it can fix the problem
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2005
3302 posts
2 upvotes
Lalchi wrote:
Jun 16th, 2008 3:49 pm
But it takes current from the receiver to operate and that too low voltage. How can it unless receiver does something wrong.
It can get hit by lightning.... Then again if you get a direct lightning strike into your house, you can say goodbye to all of your wiring. A surge protector won't do ****.
× < >