Computers & Electronics

Help, m google acct going crazy with new registrations.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 3:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1643 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener

Help, m google acct going crazy with new registrations.

Hi, I just logged into my google business account and there are over 250 new emails letting my know and thanking me for registering for their site. Some are in other languages as well. Any ideas of what to do, who to contact?

How F'd am I?
7 replies
Jul 3, 2017
417 posts
252 upvotes
Are they requests to confirm that you want to register your email? Any reputable site is required to confirm by getting an acknowledgement from you - otherwise anyone could use your email address to have spam sent to you.

If they are not requests to confirm, are they spam sites that don't bother to follow the rules, or do you think that someone has access to your account to send the confirmation reply and then delete it? Doesn't seem likely that they would bother with the deletions, but obviously you should change your password immediately just to be cautious.

If they are reputable sites, then there will be Unsubscribe links in their messages, or GMail will be able to unsubscribe you. If they are spammers, then they will ignore requests to unsubscribe. In that case you can either start adding junk mail filters, or abandon this Google account and get a new one.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4320 posts
2626 upvotes
North York
it's a business account, who have you given out this email address to?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1643 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks for the replies. The emails (almost a thousand) had no unsubscribe, so indeed junk mail.

I've only given this account out to the people I do business with.

Update.

I ended up contacting these guys below who did some work. My partner thinks they may have been the scammers. But I contacted them through a google search and they showed me their site with the lock icon on it as well as their BBB page. I've got an older macbook pro and didn't think I needed an external firewall, but the guy was pretty insistent and I caved.
Been a bad day and hopefully it wont get worse. Being an old techno fart is very stressful when things go south.
Thanks

I've physical gone to our banks, changed passwords and cancelled my CC.

Any other suggestions or comments?

External Firewall - identity / confidential / passwords / any another devices

email-primary concern -Imap - SMTP
email-updated
changing the password
email-2way security

toll free no -= 888-867-9209
Norman White
Ext -1042

duration - 60-90 minutes

Name- XXXXXXXXX
Email- XXXXXXX
Phone no- XXXXXXXXX
Billing Address- XXXXXXXXXXXX

1 + 1 year of firewall + 1 year of support- $210 AUD

charge on the card - bank statement - OZ Digital Solutions
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1710 posts
81 upvotes
Southern ontario
BBB logo does not mean much :(
you may have been scammed.
AUD? why in AUD?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1643 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener
x95zsk wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:16 pm
BBB logo does not mean much :(
you may have been scammed.
AUD? why in AUD?
I don't know. Yes, may have been scammed twice. Once by hackers and once by fixers.
Jan 10, 2017
404 posts
149 upvotes
GTA
It is a scam, a company can not place a firewall in between you and your email, especially when its Google managing the email servers with their own firewall.
The email spam attack has nothing to do with your old macbook. It may have been a random target campaign in hopes that an employee would fall prey to one of the links in the emails.
It would have been better to talk to Google suite support on the email issue as they are the provider of the service you are using it from.
They may have installed malware on your pc if they offered to install software to fix your issue, this may include keyloggers where they will try to record passwords as you type them in.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jul 3, 2017
417 posts
252 upvotes
You mean these guys based in Australia: OZ Digital Solutions http://www.ozdigitalsolutions.com ?

https://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn ... 9622810735

Hmmm. They've only been in business for 3 weeks according to their registration. The poor grammar on their web site indicates that they are not native English speakers. The web site is sketchy. They appear to be offering AV software products for sale (Avast and AVG), and computer support services. I don't want to call them scammers based on thin evidence, but they wouldn't be top of my list to turn to for help.